• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Harness Install Video

jonmelton

It's done! I finally finished installing my painless harness and finished the install video! That took a LONG time...

https://youtu.be/H6885NtTioM

The video was getting long so I skipped some stuff, but I can't believe I'm done. Now if only my new gas tank was here so I could take it for a test drive :)

Dlish

thanks for putting this together, I have a Painless that has been sitting in the box for a while, may be a spring project

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

thanks for putting this together, I have a Painless that has been sitting in the box for a while, may be a spring project

Do it! I'm so glad I did! It's not as hard as it looks, just takes time.

kenneyauto

Great video! Looks like a really nice harness. I wonder how the Centech harness compares.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No comparison. They're both excellent!;)
But there are definitely differences, in both form and function and installation. Some are better for some, others are better for others.
Hate to put it that way really, but I've done both and like them both.

Lots of threads/discussions about them, and the AAW (American Autowire) and even some budget harnesses hereabouts. Check some of them out. They can be real eye-openers.

Good luck.
And welcome to classicbroncos too by the way!

Thanks for making videos Jon. Been moaning about needing more information vids for years. Thanks for cranking up a few. Haven't checked your others out yet, but will when I have some time.

Paul

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you still add text to the video once it's uploaded?
Have a comment or two so was wondering.

Watched the whole thing later yesterday. You almost lost me at the "Greek Goddess" point though!;);D Haha!

Paul

Grasshopper

Great video. I have a 74, but the electrical has already been gutted. I suspect it had a ignition module, but not there now.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Can you still add text to the video once it's uploaded?
Have a comment or two so was wondering.

Watched the whole thing later yesterday. You almost lost me at the "Greek Goddess" point though!;);D Haha!

Paul

Haha! Yes, I can add any text. By all means, let me know. OR you can comment on the video and I can "Pin" it as the first comment people see.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great. Just wanted to mention a couple of things.

When you were talking about installing the Painless Maxi-Fuse holder next to the starter relay on the wheel well, that thing you were removing was not a factory fuse. It was the original horn relay used from '74 through '77.
Sometimes they were on the inner fender skirt, sometimes there on the wheel well. But it's a relay for the horn.
The new Painless kit has it's own relay I believe.

The steering column ground you brought up is usually good to use because your horn might need it.

And regarding the ballast resistor, using one or not using one depends on different things. Not just whether you have points, Duraspark, or aftermarket stuff. Sometimes the coil itself dictates whether you keep a resistor or not.
And in most cases, the Duraspark boxes do NOT use a resistor in their power wire. That was used only for the original factory coils.

That's about it!

Thanks again for taking the time to make a helpful vid.

Paul

eric0o1

This is a pretty honest look at what an ordinary install consists of. I'm sure it'll be useful for a lot of people. There are a couple errors. I don't state them to point out flaws with your install or to say "you're wrong", because if you were unsure or missed them I'm sure others have or will too. This is what I can remember off the top of my head:

Mention of the gear indicator light, you figured it out however p. 45 of the manual shows how to connect it to a factory column.

The ground on the column, this isn't a ground for the column, it's a ground for the horn button. The factory horn button was power activated. I didn't like the idea of a battery power source running through the column, so I changed it to a ground activation source. Even though the column is grounded the horn button isn't since it was originally supposed to have power.

Harness routing, p. 20 shows you what to do for the firewall hole locations. This would have saved you from having to route it after your dash as in, and p.53 says to install grommets after the harness is routed through the holes.

It's also mentioned on p. 57 to loosely install zip ties until all connections are made. This will allow you to still push, and pull the harness while routing while still holding the harness in place until you are ready to tighten the zip ties

I do like the videos you're putting together of all the projects and steps you're taking to get your Bronco together.

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Thanks Eric! This is super helpful for anyone doing this install!

This is a pretty honest look at what an ordinary install consists of. I'm sure it'll be useful for a lot of people. There are a couple errors. I don't state them to point out flaws with your install or to say "you're wrong", because if you were unsure or missed them I'm sure others have or will too. This is what I can remember off the top of my head:

Mention of the gear indicator light, you figured it out however p. 45 of the manual shows how to connect it to a factory column.

The ground on the column, this isn't a ground for the column, it's a ground for the horn button. The factory horn button was power activated. I didn't like the idea of a battery power source running through the column, so I changed it to a ground activation source. Even though the column is grounded the horn button isn't since it was originally supposed to have power.

Harness routing, p. 20 shows you what to do for the firewall hole locations. This would have saved you from having to route it after your dash as in, and p.53 says to install grommets after the harness is routed through the holes.

It's also mentioned on p. 57 to loosely install zip ties until all connections are made. This will allow you to still push, and pull the harness while routing while still holding the harness in place until you are ready to tighten the zip ties

I do like the videos you're putting together of all the projects and steps you're taking to get your Bronco together.

Shkwgt

Just replaced a "painless" harness (think it was generic) on my 1970 with the Painless Harness specifically for the bronco off of TBP's (it's worth every penny).

If anyone is looking for a wiring harness, the painless harness is fantastic and if you're looking to gauge your skill against mine--not mechanically inclined and once you get the dashed wired up everything else goes fairly smooth. It's awesome for the instructions as well and the different options for the engine compartment.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great feedback Shkwgt. Thanks for posting up.
And in case it hasn't been mentioned yet, welcome to classicbroncos too!

Might already have gotten the ole welcome mat, but wasn't sure.

Were you having a lot of trouble with the other one? If so, you think it was just from previous PO hacks, or was there some wear and tear on it?
Just wanted to upgrade?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

Just replaced a "painless" harness (think it was generic) on my 1970 with the Painless Harness specifically for the bronco off of TBP's (it's worth every penny).

If anyone is looking for a wiring harness, the painless harness is fantastic and if you're looking to gauge your skill against mine--not mechanically inclined and once you get the dashed wired up everything else goes fairly smooth. It's awesome for the instructions as well and the different options for the engine compartment.

Haha! Glad it worked out well for you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I remember correctly, it's about 3.5 crap-tons.
And around here, a crap-ton is a LOT of money!;D

Actually I'm interested to hear what jon says too. But it might be hard to quantify in linear form, when it sounds like he did it over a period of time with breaks.
I know that some members here have done (Centech) harnesses in one and a half days, and some a full weekend.
But I've personally done about ten harnesses now (Centech and Painless, but not an AAW yet) and I've NEVER finished one in a single sitting. And by that I mean even a single string of days. It's taken me as little as a month of Sundays, to as much as a second month of Sundays!
Granted, I do like to move wires here and there, and hither and yon until I get them just the way I want them to run, and as cleanly as possible, and I like to take lots of breaks to admire (and critique) my work. And then re-do half of it because it's crap!
But that's a personal problem and I'm sure other, more focused folks can do it much quicker.

But I bet in a pinch, if perfection was not as important as having it back up and running by Monday's commute, you could do it in two days and be up and running.
They're pretty basic and understandable in other words, but it does take awhile.

I bet a shop that knew what they were getting into would not charge less than $1000 labor. Not including ancillaries.
I think members have had shops do theirs for $400-$600 or thereabouts. But I'm also pretty sure that each of them said afterwards that they would either never do one that cheap again, or just never do one again.

Paul

Last edited: