• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 460

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I've heard its been done but never seen it firsthand. I would imagine the entire firewall would need to move back, not sure about oil pan clearance, maybe even issues in the radiator area with the firewall moved?? Exhaust / headers would probably be another dilemma to have to deal with.
I think the frame width would probably be OK and there might be an existing set of motor mounts that would work... not totally sure though.

Sounds interesting but also sounds like a lot of work.

You could check with some of the Bronco vendors just to discuss... they probably don't offer a conversion kit but I'm sure the topic of putting a BB in an EB has been discussed before and they probably have a good idea of what all would need to be done. You could also check with a company called L&L Products - they supply conversion kits for the full size trucks / Broncos when swapping from 302s / 351Ms / 400s to 429/460. They also have conversion kits for Rangers and Bronco IIs for the V6 to V8 conversion so they might be able to help at least explain what needs to be done.

DJs74

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Seen a couple. Doesn't fit well. One had the whole firewall moved back several inches. the brake pedal moved to the side where the clutch was at. The other had the firewall notched. Both cases it took about 6" of offset to clear the engine. Lots of other various issues as well.

If you want a lot of cubes that actually work well in a Bronco, stroke a 351. Easy to get 400+ cubes.

hucklburry rev2

The one I recall was a mud racer, I don't think you would want the weight bouncing through rocks and off-angle. There are a few out there

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco Bob of All-4-Fun Off Road in Albany, OR put one in his trail rig 15-20 years ago...EFI...pretty nice rig and super capable off road. He didn't molest the firewall much except for a little head clearance AFAIK, but he had to run a thin radiator out of something funky between the grill and radiator support IIRC along with electric fans. He fabbed up low profile tubular manifolds and other than some vapor locking issues, it seemed reliable.

Last edited:

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher If you want a lot of cubes that actually work well in a Bronco said:
With after market blocks you can get to 460 cubes with a 351 stroker. Local shop builds some for drag cars. He also builds some 825 cubic inch engines based on the 460 block.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 400 stroked to 434 or 445 would be the lighter option, compared to a 460, and fits nicely too.

Jussayin'...

kenneyauto

Saw one on craigslist a while back with a 390 fe in it. Kinda neat, but probably not to good for 'wheeling. I agree with most- bore and stroke a 351 windsor. 400+ reliable hp.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guy in Chico did it many years ago too and even entered it in the Top Truck Challenge. It did credibly well in fact, scoring decent in most events until the newly fubarred Tank Trap where only the biggest tires and highest ground clearance rigs need apply.
But he made it through that too, with just the 35's on it.
Not sure what, if anything he needed to do with the firewall, but he definitely moved the radiator forward quite a bit.

It was cool, but I think he was already thinking of another route to coolness at the time. A stroked 351 or 400 are definitely better options.

So what's up with the question Bronco Billy? You already have a 460 you want to use somewhere? Or are you just trying to get some cubic inch torque under your EB's hood?

Paul

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
It makes no sense to put a 460 in an Early Bronco.

With that said, I'm putting a 460 in an Early Bronco.

20170110_135713_zpsoxlycrgi.jpg

20170110_135739_zpstyqerhc3.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that's cool!!!

...and clearly impossible. Nice Photoshop work Prizefighter! J/K!

I've always thought a 460W would be a cool build, World Products Man O'War block, 600+ ft-lb of torque, all with the innocent appearance of a 351W and a couple hundred pounds less weight than a 460. Of course, it would cost about $16k to do it right...more for EFI.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Doesn't going the 460 route include more than just fitting the engine in? I would suspect you could go manual trans with a ZF and D20 but to go auto you would need to go C6 ?? What transfer case? Custom driveshafts too.

I'm not a fan of the C6. Got one in my mach 1 behind a 390FE and I so wish it had another gear.....

Tim

mudwisr2

Loc.
Memphis, TN
There are a couple guys around here with small blocks in the 400+ cubic inch range in their broncos. I know one is a 427 Roush, but another is a 460. I believe it's based on a 351 block. I just remember the owner saying that the overall height of the engine was 4" or so taller than factory but same length. Its a beast for sure