• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Obd2 guys, need guidance

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
Hey guys after weighing everything I went and installed a 97 Explorer engine and trans in my bronco. I had Garry flash my ecm while I reworked the harness using his video. I I wired the key on and start on and tried to crank it. Fuel pump comes on and off after reaching pressure. Plugged in obd2 and only code I'm getting is fuel pump secondary circuit high, PO232. When I turn the motor scan tool reads no data. Options please. I'm away from it for the day but would like some direction when I get home. Thanks, Gil

kenneyauto

Scan tool data always goes away during cranking. After start up, you have to re-establish communication. I'm assuming it won't start?

OP
OP
R

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
Motor spins fine. Pump is cycling, but fire at all. That's as far as I got in my frustration late last night.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
See if the injectors are firing. Use a Noid light (I got mine at HF). Check for spark using an inline spark tester (got mine at HF).

My first attempt at startup I had a "trigger" issue so injectors were not firing nor did I have spark. I replaced the distributor and off I went.

Tim

OP
OP
R

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
Okay. Thanks for the responses. Sister was visiting so no time tonight but O'Reilly's has a noid light tester and the fuel pressure gauge I can get tomorrow so I'll check it then and report back.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Definitely check fuel pressure first. P0232 usually sets when there is power to the pump but no load applied, like a bad fuel pump. It also wouldn't hurt to check the monitor circuit, you should have continuity between PCM pin 40 and the green wire at the inertia switch plug (with the key off and both unplugged). If everything checks out clear the code and see if it returns.

The next step would be to check for spark. If you have the relay wired correctly you will have 12v+ to the center terminal on each coil pack when the key is on.

That should get you started, if you get stumped you can always give me a ring after 5:00.

OP
OP
R

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
IT'S ALIVE. Ok so it isn't a fuel issue it is a hot on crank problem. If you jump fire at the solenoid it cranks and runs.still searching. Thanks for responding

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
How do you have the EFI ignition wired into your existing Bronco wiring?

I'm using relays to power everything EFI......

So on my 74, I tapped into my Green with Red stripe wire at my ignition switch which is hot in both start and run. Key in run or start, ignition relay trips and ignition has voltage.

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I wired it through relays as Garry's video shows.

I can't help there as I did an OBDI harness and kind of did my own thing with the EFI power wiring. I've not ready through or watched Garry's vid.

I do know I'm getting my TFI ignition relay 12v power from my Green with Red stripe wire at my ignition switch which is hot in both start and run.

In fact, that is the only wire from my EFI that's tied into my stock harness. I'm running 6 relays total. Everything else is powered off a separate fuse and relay box which gets power directly from the battery.

Tim

OP
OP
R

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
Thanks Tim, I drove it several miles this afternoon with excitement so I kind of put the wiring off until tomorrow. Another day chasing wires I guess