• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin stick questions

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
So I am considering adding a twin stick shifter to the transfer case to make it easier to know for sure what mode I am in. Looking at the instructions on WH website it doesn't appear that you have to drop the T-case. Is that true? I was under the impression that you have to do something to the rails themselves in the process?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
T-shifter you sorta do need to to take full advantage of it.
J-shifter you definitely don't.

But I think you can put the twin stick on a T-shift TC by cutting a little access hole in the tunnel like I did for my J-shifter case.
I assume from your signature line that you are a T-case.

OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
Yep definitely a T-shift. It's just a pain knowing for sure if the shifter has engaged the right rails. I have an access hole already.

OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I was under the impression that you had to drop it to remove the pill between the two rails. I don't really care to ever have the front engaged separately from the rear in the case of a front only low, just want to make it easier to know for sure it's shifted where I want it.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I was under the impression that you had to drop it to remove the pill between the two rails. I don't really care to ever have the front engaged separately from the rear in the case of a front only low, just want to make it easier to know for sure it's shifted where I want it.

It sounds like for your purposes you don't have to remove the pill or pills.
You can just mount and attach the twin sticks to the shift rails and the front and rear will shift separately. You have to shift the rear into position first then the front to match and you won't be able to shift to FRONT ONLY - but doesn't sound like that's what you want anyway.

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I did the WH twin stick kit on my T-shift case. It is an awesome upgrade, really nice, and you can easily tell what mode you are in. I did not do the pill-thing, so I do not have the front wheel drive only mode. Maybe one day I will look into it. You will love those twin sticks. Install was pretty easy, but did have to cut a larger hole in the trans hump. Took maybe 2 hours start to finish. The far right stick is a nice place to rest my hand when driving. Here is the hole I cut.

camodown

Ok thanks. It seemed like the right answer, now I know for sure. Might do this in the near future.

I didn't like the idea of cutting an access hole so I tried installing it without cutting the tunnel. I was able to install it without cutting or dropping the transfer case. It was a tight fit and had to put stuff together by feel instead of sight, but it is possible.

BoulderMike22

ddf6d9526b600455b139b7473527a539.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I Love my Twin Stick.. BUT Mine get loose & I have to get under the Bronco & tighten the center bolt & the linkage bolts. about once a year.
.. But mine goes into gear very easily 95 % of the time. Almost a one finger shift.
.... I'll say you'll Love the TWIN STICKS.
.. OH Mine are JB SHIFTERS..

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Jon, SHX is dead on accurate with his description. I have twins in my orange Bronco. Wife and I are going to Another Broken Egg for breakfast and will stop by cars and coffee afterward. Maybe we'll see you there. I'll be in my Bronco.
Tyler

EDIT: if the we don't get out of here soon we may not make it by C&C!

BTW, the Sand Rover Rally is April 8th...You get your new shaft re-done yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
Thanks for all the tips guys, This sounds like a good upgrade to do in the near future, although without the internal mod.

EDIT: if the we don't get out of here soon we may not make it by C&C!

BTW, the Sand Rover Rally is April 8th...You get your new shaft re-done yet?

Tyler,
I forgot it was the last saturday of the month until about 930 so I didn't make it out there. I did get the shaft done, found another shop to do it. They aren't quite as quality of a shop but saved me a bunch over a new shaft so it works.

I manage to find the date for the rally but I couldn't find a schedule. Do you have one?

Jon

Tony Mele

I've been contemplating this upgrade for a while now on my 73 with the J shift. These comments and pics really help.

Thanks

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
.. I Love my Twin Stick.. BUT Mine get loose & I have to get under the Bronco & tighten the center bolt

Same problem here with the center bolt. Very aggravating. I got tired of having to wrestle with it under the bronco or removing the cover plate...sooo, I drilled a hole that a socket and extension would fit through and put a small cover plate on the cover plate.

Attachments

• PIC-32.jpg
    PIC-32.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 80

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Thanks for all the tips guys, This sounds like a good upgrade to do in the near future, although without the internal mod.

Tyler,
I forgot it was the last saturday of the month until about 930 so I didn't make it out there. I did get the shaft done, found another shop to do it. They aren't quite as quality of a shop but saved me a bunch over a new shaft so it works.

I manage to find the date for the rally but I couldn't find a schedule. Do you have one?

Jon

Here you go:
https://30a.com/30a-sand-rover-rally/

Like others have said....the nut comes loose over time on the thru bolt. My solution was to just drill a hole thru the nut and bolt and put a cotter pin thru it. If there is such a thing as a shallow castle nut that would be even better for adjust-ability.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not all the twin sticks are the same, my problem has been the Allen bolt that holds the sticks to the mounting plate. Will not stay tight.

Attachments

• photo81x.jpg
    photo81x.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 61

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
All of the nuts on ours are all-metal top-lock nuts that should not back off.
Pa PITT, JWMcCrary, we would be happy to send you one?

Jon

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the nuts on ours are all-metal top-lock nuts that should not back off.
Pa PITT, JWMcCrary, we would be happy to send you one?

Jon

There is not a nut where my problem is. It's the allen head bolt that secures the shift levers to the mounting plate. It will only back out a couple turns. I posted a pic a couple posts up. I do appreciate the offer though.