Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 05/19/13, 08:02 PM   #16
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Offering A-Ford-able EFI.

Denver
The easiest way would be to use the Explorer accessories, you would effectively be upgrading your alternator and power steering pump that way. You would need to have the balancer re-balanced to 28oz or buy one from Damper Dudes. There are places that do make the trigger wheel if you don't want to go that route, you just have to figure out which method to use to mount it.

As for the Cam sensor, from what I understand MSD makes one or used to, there was mention of another company as well in the 5.0 distributorless thread in the tech section. It has also been rumored that the 3.8 sensor can be used if you make a collar for it, or you can mix and match the 3.8 shaft with the 5.0 housing...So I'm told. I may look in to that later as I have both around here somewhere.

The 351 thing isn't nearly as easy as a 5.0, but it's doable without too much headache.

Interested in running Explorer EFI? Click here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224697
EFI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 08:13 PM   #17
gunnibronco

Donko Driver

Gardnerville, NV
Thanks I was thinking about that and figured Ford didn't make one, but maybe the aftermarket did.

Would the Explorer OBDII stuff be better for a modified 5.8 (aluminum heads, GT40 intake, custom cam, 9.5ish c:r), than the OBDI Mustang EFI?

I was told OBDII stuff had much better custom programming available and better diagnostics. This was all info given to me regarding 5.9L Dodge Magnum motor into a hot rod, not Ford stuff. I hadn't looked into OBDII stuff for my upcoming (not very soon)5.7 swap, mostly because the Mustang swap is so well documented, and I've been very happy after putting it on my 302 already.

Just wondering if its worth thinking about using this on my 5.8, or sticking with a custom tuned Mustang ECU and the EFI/wiring harness that is already in my truck (this would be easier- obviously). Do you do anything with custom tunes on OBDI stuff?
EDIT Of course you do I've been watching Airburs thread at ACB.

Last edited by gunnibronco; 05/19/13 at 09:43 PM..

74-EFI 302, 79 axles, PS/1T/TRO, Mustang hboost, 5.5x3.5lift, York OBA, ZF/Atlas4
72-Explorer Sport-Candyapple red
www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com
gunnibronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 08:47 PM   #18
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Denver
There are pros and cons to both, and there are limitations and requirements to what I can do as far as tuning a vehicle that I don't have access to. This one would be better to discuss over the phone for you to make an informed decision. I'll shoot you my phone number via PM.

Interested in running Explorer EFI? Click here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224697
Old 05/19/13, 08:49 PM   #19
gunnibronco

Donko Driver

Gardnerville, NV
Thanks, didn't mean to gum up the thread.

74-EFI 302, 79 axles, PS/1T/TRO, Mustang hboost, 5.5x3.5lift, York OBA, ZF/Atlas4
Old 05/19/13, 09:25 PM   #20
EFI Guy
Sponsor/Vendor

Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnibronco View Post
Thanks, didn't mean to gum up the thread.

No worries, it was good chatting with you.

Old 05/19/13, 09:37 PM   #21
904Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

So many Ford's, so little time...

Morgan Hill, CA
So you have peaked my interest

I have a 98 explorer motor on a storage rack, the 2wd 4R70W that was with the motor is ready for a D20. I have the 98 ECM, the engine harness and the tranny harness. But nothing from the firewall into the rig. Do I need more?

How about O2 sensors? How many will your set-up require? Can I keep EGR? (I do plan on using the Explorer exh manifolds)

The 98 has a return line for fuel, will the Mustang 88 lph in tank pump work for this set-up? I am sure I will have more questions...

Doug

Last edited by 904Bronco; 05/19/13 at 09:48 PM..

1967 Poppy Red U15 Lubr... soon to be 96 Explorer EDIS and NV3550
1971 Grabber Green U15 Lubr... 2000 Explorer EDIS and 4R70W
2016 Shelby GT350 - Race red
2002 F250 Superduty 7.3 202K and still going!
1996 Saleen Mustang 125K... Project car
904Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 09:38 PM   #22
Tom Dummer

Scappoose, Or
Set me up. I have the 99 explorer in the yard and would love a semi- trouble free install.
Tom Dummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 09:39 PM   #23
Tom Dummer

Scappoose, Or
oh. subscribed.
Tom Dummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 09:40 PM   #24
gunnibronco

Donko Driver

Gardnerville, NV
Thanks for all your help. We'll be in touch!

Old 05/19/13, 09:44 PM   #25
904Bronco
Contributor
Bronco Guru

So many Ford's, so little time...

Morgan Hill, CA
just subscribed as well...

1967 Poppy Red U15 Lubr... soon to be 96 Explorer EDIS and NV3550
1971 Grabber Green U15 Lubr... 2000 Explorer EDIS and 4R70W
2016 Shelby GT350 - Race red
2002 F250 Superduty 7.3 202K and still going!
1996 Saleen Mustang 125K... Project car
904Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 11:03 PM   #26
mattt
Contributor
Bronco Guru

OC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnibronco View Post
Thanks I was thinking about that and figured Ford didn't make one, but maybe the aftermarket did.

Would the Explorer OBDII stuff be better for a modified 5.8 (aluminum heads, GT40 intake, custom cam, 9.5ish c:r), than the OBDI Mustang EFI?

I was told OBDII stuff had much better custom programming available and better diagnostics. This was all info given to me regarding 5.9L Dodge Magnum motor into a hot rod, not Ford stuff. I hadn't looked into OBDII stuff for my upcoming (not very soon)5.7 swap, mostly because the Mustang swap is so well documented, and I've been very happy after putting it on my 302 already.

Just wondering if its worth thinking about using this on my 5.8, or sticking with a custom tuned Mustang ECU and the EFI/wiring harness that is already in my truck (this would be easier- obviously). Do you do anything with custom tunes on OBDI stuff?
EDIT Of course you do I've been watching Airburs thread at ACB.
Subscribing as I am in the same boat.....only difference is I am already running Mustang OBD1 setup. I had the OBDII explained to me this way....think of OBD1 as a Commodore 64 home computer and the OBDII stuff as Pentium 1....much faster and more reactive tuning on the fly.

My reason for considering this swap even though I am already running is because I see a 4R70W in my Bronco in the future. I'll take my answers off the air
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/13, 11:10 PM   #27
JSmall
Contributor
Bronco Guru

No end in sight!!!

McMinnville, OR

My Gallery
Garage
Subscribing. Looking for an Explorer motor

JSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 07:20 AM   #28
rastiss
Bronco Guru

Wichita falls, Texas
Garage
I'd be interested in a couple. How much of the harness would you need? I have 11k mile 97 5.0 on a stand with engine and pcm harness. No chassis harness or o2 harness.

'77 302, c4, 2 1/2 lift, 33's
rastiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 07:48 AM   #29
TTTGOWYO
Contributor
Tyler T. - EB Obsessed

72 Explorer Sport - Currently Under Construction at Lick Creek Restorations

Louisville

My Gallery
Garage
Subscribed. This sounds like a good resource to help get EFI done easily. I have been sloooowly sourcing parts and only have a 1996 Exploer upper and lower intake and throttle body. I also found an A9p ECM. Just need to find fuel rails, injectors, wiring harness etc..

72' Explorer Sport My 1st car, my last car!
TTTGOWYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/13, 08:39 AM   #30
AaronWelch

Atascocita, TX.

My Gallery
Garage
ok I know I am a little dense some times but I have not been able to find a thread with exactly what is needed to do an EFI conversion. I would love to but dont want to waste my money or time getting the wrong parts. Not trying to hijack this tread, but I think some of us newer owners could use a nudge in the right direction. thanks for the help.

74 explorer 351W, C4, PS, 3.5" suspension lift + 2" body lift, front disks (coming soon) UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
AaronWelch is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat