• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T-case hard to turn

Cortez

Bronco Guru
T-case yoke hard to turn with tranny in neutral. Changed out my old np435 for a newer model 80’s era that had the output shaft swapped. Sealed up my Dana 20 and slapped them in. Transmission was easy to turn by hand and so was the tcase but when I put them together it takes a lot of strength to turn the output of the rear yoke on transfer cas. Also my adapter doesn’t seem to cinch down as close to the transmission as with the previous np435...could the tranny output shaft be a hair too long and causing the tension/resistance? Or if I over tighten the tcase yoke would that cause it? Anyone run into this before?

Attachments

• FF33468D-34E9-4808-9A19-E539DA7D9F9A.jpg
    FF33468D-34E9-4808-9A19-E539DA7D9F9A.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 41
  • BF2633D5-4A02-4A15-B3DB-C5CD876034B3.jpg
    BF2633D5-4A02-4A15-B3DB-C5CD876034B3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 40

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It definitely looks like something is binding up in there. That should tighten up flush I would think. Especially if it has a lot of resistance trying to turn it. I would pull it apart and see what is causing it. Ken

gick70

Something not cleared out in the counterbore on the adaptor!

gick70

How thick is that gasket that suppose to be there,it's bottoming out on the bearing cage of the 435 trans,preventing from turning it freely!

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I just pulled the t-case and the binding immediately was gone. So I spent a few minutes making measurements on the tranny output shaft and my tcase adapter. It appears that i am off by something between an eighth and a sixteenth of an inch. Difficult to tell exactly but the adapter portion (female) appears to be hitting the bump out at the end of the spline section on the transmission output shaft. It seems like this can be remedied by a thick gasket on both ends of the adapter. I don’t see a way to grind anything down to fit unless I remove the adapter and shorten the end of the tcase input shaft. Had to stop for tonight...will let you know how I get it resolved.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Ok - I’m back at it. Measured every section of my output and input dimmensions...seems ok. I shaved an 8th off the end of shaft because I thought it maybe could be hitting the bottom of input shaft...but no luck. When I put the tcase onto the tranny it looks good and turns freely but when I tighten the bolts it becomes impossible to turn. So I added a couple thick gaskets between the adapter housing and tranny and it relieved some of the binding but there is still some. I hesitate to just add more because the adapter should be snug enough to keep pressure on the bearing race of the output shaft...if I separate the adapter housing too much from the tranny housing then I fear the output shaft could develop some play in it. Only thing I didn’t check and which seems like it might be a possibility is if my adapter has too small a diameter for the bearing race of the output shaft and maybe it’s actually compressing the bearings when I tighten it down. Could the output shaft on this np435 be that much different from my other one? Both were square pattern.