• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good Time For New Distributor?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Since I don't know what's going to happen with the body of my bronco, I am going to go forward with Chassis and engine work.

Should I replace the old distributor? And what with if yes?

I'm going to be putting in a new cam while everything is open, and probably shortly go with the Holley EFI.

Simple and durable is good!

Thoughts?

Thanks! - jim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Electronic distributors don't wear out near as quickly as the old points style did.
How many miles on this one? You can easily test it to specification when it's out of the vehicle, and that may tell you whether it needs to be replaced or not.

Paul

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Electronic distributors don't wear out near as quickly as the old points style did.
How many miles on this one? You can easily test it to specification when it's out of the vehicle, and that may tell you whether it needs to be replaced or not.

Paul

Hey Paul,how do you test it?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Radial and Axial play is it? Don't know the terminology, but there is a spec for how much "up and down play" (axial?) is acceptable when you pull up and down on the shaft. And side to side movement (radial?) play when you push on the shaft.
There are bushings (and bearings in aftermarket setups) and shims and such, and some things ride on the case aluminum directly.

If going on specification, a dial indicator might be required. But if you feel "a lot of play" in either direction, it might be time for a new unit.
I used to be able to tell by feel, but just to show how large the difference in types really is, once I've replaced a points distributor with an electronic one, I've NEVER had to replace another unit in that engine.
The Dura Spark "Blueprint series" by Accel has over 100k on it and is solid as a rock.
All the other distributors in every other car or truck I've owned are all still in good shape. The one in my '79 is original, and now with the Explorer setup, none of my other vehicles even has a distributor!

So I'm not sure the spec, but I bet someone has a factory shop manual that will spell it out. Pretty sure the small Chilton's book does not, but the Hayne's might. And for sure the "big book" hard back Chilton's should have it.
You can get those at library, but someone has probably already posted it up online.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've been running the dui he's for 20+ years. One of em needed a new module a year or so ago but otherwise they've been flawless. One wire for power and one for the tach and that's it. Coil in the cap.it makes for a clean install and less prone to water damage. You might have to notch the front hood brace for clearance depending on your set-up.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
No matter the what they tell you about new distributor, (DUI or whatever) it won't work for you properly, out-of-the-box.
You'll need to adjust the advance curve and limits.
My advice is to get a Duraspark system and set it up for your cam and application.
Contact this outfit. They use your cam card info, gear ratio, and vehicle weight/use and custom calibrate a Duraspark distributor for your vehicle.
You get a distributor with their recommended initial timing.
Pretty much plug-n-play. And at a bargain price.;)
http://reincarnation-automotive.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I run the msd ready to run distributor and have installed a lot of them in customers Broncos and trucks and they’ve all work great

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I run the msd ready to run distributor and have installed a lot of them in customers Broncos and trucks and they’ve all work great

That Ready-to run name is for marketing. It doesn't correct the timing advance for each application.
If you don't custom adjust your timing advance, you could be leaving a lot of performance in the box it came in.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
No matter the what they tell you about new distributor, (DUI or whatever) it won't work for you properly, out-of-the-box.
My advice is to get a Duraspark system and set it up for your cam and application.
Contact this outfit. They use your cam card info, gear ratio, and vehicle weight/use and custom calibrate a Duraspark distributor for your vehicle.

Dui gets all your specs when you buy it. and ships it set up for application. Both of mine dropped right in out of the box. I know guys have had issues with the cheaper hei's but it's like anything. You get what you pay for.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

What outfit?

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Dui gets all your specs when you buy it. and ships it set up for application. Both of mine dropped right in out of the box. I know guys have had issues with the cheaper hei's but it's like anything. You get what you pay for.

This has been my experience as well with DUI. They also have nailed it right a couple of times when I didn't know what specific cam was in a motor. They ask alot of questions, get you to run some tests and get you what you need.

I haven't gotten anything from them since 2011 so hopefully they still bring their A-game.

75Bronc

I too have an MSD ready to run in my bronco. I have been very happy with it. No more ignition control module. It is all built into the distributor. Still need a coil. Very simple wiring and it comes with everything to change the timing curve for your application. I run vacuum and mechanical advance.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Yes I'm happy with both my MSD Ready to Runs { not a fan of the 6a Box } . But like Blubuck said to get the best performance you need to change the springs and advance stop . It says that in the instructions and if you read between the lines arrives " in the safe mode " with the slowest advance curve . Pretty easy to do ; certainly easier than doing it on a Ford Duraspark II dizzy. I had my Duraspark recurved by a local company that does a lot of drag race stuff. I wound up recurving it myself as I drive mine " Normally " - LOL.
What MSD refers to by " ready to run " vs their other dizzys is it's a stand alone and will run acceptably by just installing it with a couple wire hookup and installing it in the proper timing position.
I did however find that the vacuum advance on the Ready to Runs advances TOO FAR and is NONADJUSTABLE so I replaced their canister with an Accel points type canister where I could limit the vacuum advance to 10 * . MSD is Race oriented not daily driver stuff so anything over about 12 " of vacuum advances the vacuum too far.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru

x2, I used the msd ready to run and its a great little unit... blubuckaroo can you come fine tune mine for me?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
x2, I used the msd ready to run and its a great little unit... blubuckaroo can you come fine tune mine for me?

You'll need to find a shop with a distributor machine to do the advance curve properly.
I've seen some try to do it in the car, but checking overall timing at over 3000 RPM on an unloaded engine worries me a bit.

pipeline010

x2.

I wrestled with my truck for the last 3 weeks over a simple distributor replacement (went with Pertronix II Plug n Play).

Way way more fire on the 302 than I had before....all the more reason it took me 2 weeks to finally get the timing right. And I'm not even looking for top end results, just daily driver without farting in the wind.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
x2.

I wrestled with my truck for the last 3 weeks over a simple distributor replacement (went with Pertronix II Plug n Play).

Way way more fire on the 302 than I had before....all the more reason it took me 2 weeks to finally get the timing right. And I'm not even looking for top end results, just daily driver without farting in the wind.

How did you adjust the advance to work with your engine?

pipeline010

lights and trial and error. i wouldn't be surprised to hear im leaving HP somewhere tho.

Ended up at about 9-10 btdc without advance. Spot on 12 with advance and finally getting full detonation and clean plugs.