Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 12/27/12, 12:19 AM   #1
BroncoinAlaska

San Antonio, TX

My Gallery
Overheated now to check the cooling system

Just over heated. Glad it was with in a mile of the house. Bronco had been running pretty cool the last couple of drives, right around 180. The heater had been performing not like it should. During a mix of country driving (60mph) and city (40mph). On my way home tonight 30, I heard a squeal from the engine compartment that lasted for ten seconds then disappeared. Then the temp started climbing. Pulled it into the garage, shut the Bronco off and then the steam started and filled the garage quickly.

What steps should I take to checking the cooling system?

Cooling System Info
Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor
Explorer Serpintine with Motocraft Water Pump
BC Broncos 5.0 Radiator
13# Radiator Cap
90's Ford Coolant Washer Fluid Reservoir Combo
BC Broncos Vintage Air AC/Heater

Everything is newish with less than a couple hundred miles. The newest addition was the vintage air kit. I am thinking I still had a air bubble in the system. How should I check my water pump to make sure I did not fry it limping the Bronco back home.

1977 Half Cab Ranger - 302 EFI, Explorer Sepintine, 3.5" Duff Monster Suspension, 2" BL, D44 Front 4.56 ARB w/RCV's, Ford 9" Rear 4.56 ARB 31 spline
Old 12/27/12, 07:25 AM   #2
phred
Bronco Guru

"can't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change"

atlanta
eBay: brizance
Squeal sounds like water pump may be shot. Look for a little trickle of water from the pump snout. The pump has a weep at the bearing that will lwt you know the bearings are gone and it will start dripping coolant.
If there is no water try burpping the engine. Leave the cap of the radiator, park the truck so the radiator fill is the highest point and let it run for a while keeping your eye on the temp. if there is air in the system it will find its way to the top and burb out. I had to do this to mine. I dorve it for a couple hundred miles and it continually puked coolant. Once I let it idle with the cap off for a while the puking stopped.
Old 12/27/12, 10:13 AM   #3
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

I factory ordered it

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
I'd chase the squeal. The water pump is centrifugal and the impeller should make no contact with anything that would stop it from turning. I'd suspect the pump impeller came loose, wadded up, and locked up for that ten seconds.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.
Old 12/27/12, 12:11 PM   #4
BroncoinAlaska

San Antonio, TX

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I'd chase the squeal. The water pump is centrifugal and the impeller should make no contact with anything that would stop it from turning. I'd suspect the pump impeller came loose, wadded up, and locked up for that ten seconds.
That's what I am worried about. What is the best way to check the water pump?

1977 Half Cab Ranger - 302 EFI, Explorer Sepintine, 3.5" Duff Monster Suspension, 2" BL, D44 Front 4.56 ARB w/RCV's, Ford 9" Rear 4.56 ARB 31 spline
Old 12/27/12, 01:12 PM   #5
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Grease Monkey

I factory ordered it

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoinAlaska View Post
That's what I am worried about. What is the best way to check the water pump?
You'll need to remove it to make sure the impeller is still attached to the shaft.

'77 Ranger/cut F&R/PS/PB/Vintage Air/2" suspension lift/1" body lift/T tie rod conversion/33-1050-15 BFG K02 tires/ 302/ Edelbrock 500 CFM 4 bbl/Aero Tanks/ Hooker Headers/ dual ex/ NV3550/ B&M shifter/ JB FabTwin Sticks/ 4.11s/rear posi.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives