• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tail gate chipping

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I painted my rig last winter and drove it most of the summer w/o a top. I put the top on a few weeks (months?) ago and have barely driven it since. I have noticed chipping of the paint on the top left side of the tail gate and on the inside of the left fender where they meet. The gap when closed is easily 3/16".

The other side is fine, all body bushings are good. I do not have any weather stripping on the tailgate. I do have the rubber wedge looking things installed on the tailgate.

Anyone experience this? Should I install something that is missing that may make a difference? Really bummed me out because I got the top on w/o scratching anything.

Could the tailgate be moving around that much while driving? I guess with the top on it should be much more rigid so maybe it will stop now.

Thanks fellas.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Do you hae the little round bump stops installed on the tub where the tailgate rests?
Does the latch engage the striker and lock tight on that side. There realy shouldn't be much movement at all with the gate shut and latched.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have the little round nubbies on the tub also. It seams locked tight when I close it. I do have to open the latch to get it to close it - i cant just lift and slam it.