• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyones daily driver a Bronco with 170 on 33s?

ArkyJoe

Loc.
Arkansas
My 69 had the 170. I run 33 12.5 15s on it. It was bad weak. Acceleration was pretty non existent. In 4 wheel high, it struggled to pull itself on take off. I dropped in a 200, its still pretty weak but a little better. I found a 250 dirt cheap and a 4 speed, it may go in next. At some point, I should just realize I need to drop in a 302 to be able to drive over 65 on the highway.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
My 69 had the 170. I run 33 12.5 15s on it. It was bad weak. Acceleration was pretty non existent. In 4 wheel high, it struggled to pull itself on take off. I dropped in a 200, its still pretty weak but a little better. I found a 250 dirt cheap and a 4 speed, it may go in next. At some point, I should just realize I need to drop in a 302 to be able to drive over 65 on the highway.

I've read on here and fordsix.com that the 250 is a pretty significant upgrade to the 170/200, but to be fair 33x12.50's with the 170 is kinda like powering a paddle boat with a child ;D

gritz

I have a 66 U13 with 170 setup with hydro boost. Running 235 R 16 Mud tires. Its about all I can do to keep it above 45 mph. steeper hills ill be down to 30 with 4.11 gears. Ive had the carb rebuilt and new plugs. going to try petronix this winter to see if that helps.

bmbm

170 six

I have a 66 U13 with 170 setup with hydro boost. Running 235 R 16 Mud tires. Its about all I can do to keep it above 45 mph. steeper hills ill be down to 30 with 4.11 gears. Ive had the carb rebuilt and new plugs. going to try petronix this winter to see if that helps.

You can get a 1v carb with more cfm from a 200, 250 or 300 and a DSII custom curved for your application. It will help but will not make a big difference. Check out fordsix.com and consider a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Let

That 250 sounds like a good candidate. It uses a V8 bell housing, so putting a 5 speed in would be real easy.
The 250 puts out almost as much HP & torque as the 260 V8 and at the same RPM.
Both the 200 and 250 are way better motors than the 170. They have seven main bearings. A V8 only has five.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
With how many think a 351 makes a good motor in a bronco, a 170 is less than half that.

As for the number of main bearings, a 9 cylinder aircraft engine only has 2 bearings. But the crankshaft is much shorter. Much like a V8 crank is shorter than the I6.

gritz

You can get a 1v carb with more cfm from a 200, 250 or 300 and a DSII custom curved for your application. It will help but will not make a big difference. Check out fordsix.com and consider a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook.

Thanks Ill check it out.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
This doesn't matter much at this point, but I can't understand Ford's reasoning in offering the 170 engine in a 3800 pound car, rather than the 200.
The 200 engine was available in other cars in '63, and it' upgraded seven main bearing was available in '65. It's in the same engine family and a lot better motor.

I've been researching these little engines for my '62 Ranchert project. One thing i've learned is that they love more RPM. With their strong lower end, they are built to take it. Gearing is the key to their performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm pretty sure the bronco 170 got the 7 mains where the cars only got 4. They also got solid tappet lifters.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm pretty sure the bronco 170 got the 7 mains where the cars only got 4. They also got solid tappet lifters.

You can tell by the number of freeze plugs on the passenger side of the block. The engines with four mains have three plugs, and the engines with seven mains have five plugs.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
What I find humorous about this thread is that it is clear those who want nostalgia and cruising around in a classic, and those that want a hot rod. A Bronco with a 170 in it is purely old school nostalgia pure and simple. You wont win any races but that's not the point...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What I find humorous about this thread is that it is clear those who want nostalgia and cruising around in a classic, and those that want a hot rod. A Bronco with a 170 in it is purely old school nostalgia pure and simple. You wont win any races but that's not the point...

The main point about the hot rod side is that old school nostalgia will not do the job in modern traffic.
Drive it in a parade or a short trip to get ice cream? Yes.
Drive it in anything like city rush hour? Those that ask for trouble usually get it.

If your commute is a couple of miles on a low traffic back road or street it could work.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Oh you can be sure my Bronco can go sideways if I want it to. ;D

It's just that all my cars don't need that sort of performance to make me smile. My current '62 Ranchero project will have a six cylinder engine with a "three on the tree."
I plan to keep the vintage "driving experience." I think it'll be fine since it only weighs around 2300 pounds.

I get a fair amount of joy from the sound of Honda Trail 90s too. So, yes, it's got to be nostalgia. ;)