• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Thanks Ron. You are right. It is easier to do those parts when they are laid out on stands. I am no pro but I do a lot of reading looking for pointers. I have done a little painting but it has been a while and the products available nowadays is some really user friendly stuff. I used SPI products and they have a real good support staff. I have done quite a bit of body work but not much painting. With the cost of having a paint job nowadays I figured I would give it a try. I am happy with the results. Ken

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When I paint its apart. I mix all the cans of paint together in a 5 gallon pail and add the thinner and mix extremely well and then quickly can it off in quart cans. That way all the color is the same. I also prime and seal in all one color, that way when the color goes on top its all the same hue. When I get the parts ready I take a quart of thinned paint and mix the hardener in and spray it. You have to mix extremely well as the paint settles more once it has been thinned. I only use solid color paints so it blends extremely well as long as you do your part mixing it. I wont spray metallic paint this way because you risk the metal flake settling differently on each panel. then in bright sunlight you can get all different sheen off the paint making it look patchy. I don't use metallic's as they are hard to blend in a repair.