• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford or Che*vy brakes-Which is better?

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I've got a chance to buy a F150 set-up (knuckles out)and I was wondering if the Ch*vy conversion was better or worse.I like the idea of using all Ford parts but was wondering if there are any issues with the Ford set-up.

Thanks

Mad Dog

Either will work fine. With the Chevy calipers you need to do some grinding due to clearance issues. The Chevy conversion is spindles out but the Ford conversion requires that you change out the steering knuckles as well. The Ford conversion is bolt on and works fine as well. One big advantage to the Ford conversion is that you can use the calipers from a '76 T-Bird, which have a larger piston (thus more stopping power) than the stock Bronco/F150 calipers or the Chevy calipers.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I pieced my chevy conversion together from parts a friend and I had. It was real reasonable and not hard to do. But if I had a F150 set up complete offered at a reasonable price, I'd jump on it. Either one is much safer than the drums.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've only done the Ford conversion. But it looks like the ch#vy conversion is simpler/easier to do price wise they can be about the same depending on what you pay for the parts and what else you may need. I got a whole 79 bronco front axle for $50 so mine was very cheap. Theres a few of things to keep in mind about the all Ford swap 1. you'll have to replace the ball joints so add $100 2. the front track will be about 1/2" wider after the swap but its hardly noticeable. 3. The size of the tie rod holes are larger on the 78up knuckles so you'll either need bushings($30) to use the stock tie rod or get a F150 tie rod conversion($300). I needed a new tie rod anyways so it wasnt a big deal. 4. Tie rod will be about 1" lower than it was with stock knuckles. Not a big deal but I developed a small amount of bump steer with a 2.5 in lift so I went the tie rod over route got the tie rod up about 3 in and cured the bump steer that had developed. All said and done it was a good swap and I like having Ford parts but I think I will do the Ch#vy conversion on my 71 unless I get another killer deal on a Ford setup.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Neither and both

Ford has certian advantages such as a larger hole so you can remove a busted U-joint easier.
GM gives you a much broader selection of brake pad lining choices.
Ford uses all Ford parts for the Purist
GM is easier to install.
The list can keep on going, and going, and...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Broncobowsher said:
Neither and both

Ford has certian advantages such as a larger hole so you can remove a busted U-joint easier.
GM gives you a much broader selection of brake pad lining choices.
Ford uses all Ford parts for the Purist
GM is easier to install.
The list can keep on going, and going, and...
I found that out the hard way. My Yukon axles are a pain in the neck to put in and take out and they require me to pull all of the needle zerks out of the Super Joints as well. They are out right now so I'm think about grinding them just a little to make the axles slide in easier. All I need is about a 64th. of an inch to make them slide in without extra persuasion.