• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

KY NEED! ASAP- good 3 speed trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No longer needed, thanks!! :)

Help! I need a good (ready to bolt in and use) 3 speed manual trans to go in my V8 1968 Bronco. Or some sort of substitute, what do you have?

I just paid to have one shipped from out of state, and my mechanic just called to say it's no good either.:cry:

Last edited:

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Can't yours be rebuilt??

Mine supposedly popped out of FIRST gear not second, as yours does. Found some notes on it.

What is wrong with the one you just got??

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My problem is I don't know enough about manual or automatic transmissions.

The mechanic said my original couldn't be repaired and pointed to some things. I nodded like I saw what he was talking about and said I'll get another one. That turned into about a three week ordeal, and then when I took him the new one he called later that day and said it was no good either. Been sitting a long time, w/o grease and he says the gears are rusty, etc.:(

So now I'm looking for a 3rd one to try. Running ad here, on local craigslist, etc.

I think Monday I'll call the Bronco specialty shops and see if any of them have a good one laying around.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Do you know what is wrong with yours??? Maybe just replacing some parts would do it??

I had an old Willys wagon with a T-90 tranny that I rebuilt 3 times, unfortunately the third time WASN'T a charm.......ended up selling it for a major loss because I didn't know what was wrong the last time and just got really frustrated.

Wish I could say mine was fine, but I can't.

Why don't you swap in an NV3550, Axis 15 (I think that is what the newer Jeep one is), or NV4500?? More $$ and work, I know, but nicer when done.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder what my other options are. I'd even like an automatic in this '68 but I'd imagine that would be very expensive.

txhawkeye

I have one I pulled out recently it was working well when it was removed. I am in Houston if you are interested you can pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Your mechanic is likely the problem. Even more so since you aren't a transmission/mechanical guy. I would bet that your original transmission could have been fixed/rebuilt for what you spent in shipping on the second one. It needed a second gear right? They are $50-$100. And now looking for a third. The least common denominator is your mechanic.

Have him tell you what is wrong with the transmissions and order the parts to repair one of them. You can buy ALL of the parts in a 3 speed for less than $500 dollars.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys.

Ok, I think Monday I'll try to get an idea of exactly what part(s) are needed to fix my original.

broncodriver99, where is the best place to get parts needed?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Thanks guys.

Ok, I think Monday I'll try to get an idea of exactly what part(s) are needed to fix my original.

broncodriver99, where is the best place to get parts needed?

I listed a couple of places that I have dealt with in your original thread. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287548

With Cobra even if they don't show it online you can call them and they can check availability in other warehouses.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks again.

I'm going to try to get a "parts needed" list from him tomorrow and then try to buy parts needed from Cobra Transmission (thanks broncodriver99)

We'll see!

ransil

Bronco Guru
find a shop to rebuild the tranny should not cost much my guess is 2-300.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Help! I need a good (ready to bolt in and use) 3 speed manual trans to go in my V8 1968 Bronco. Or some sort of substitute, what do you have?

I just paid to have one shipped from out of state, and my mechanic just called to say it's no good either.:cry:

SO what did he say was wrong with that transmission? Very sorry to hear that. I never opened it up and was going to toss it, but it was working fine when parked.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's fine, don't worry about it. He said on that one it had been sitting a long time and gears, etc were rusty inside. I wasn't there when he opened it up, but that's what he said when he called.

I've now got a rebuilt one coming from TBG. It's a "RAT" on the tag and the one pulled from my '68 was a "HEG-Y" but the guy at Toms said it was a direct swap.

jwhit

mine is available since i did 5 speed swap $50.00 pickup only

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
I have two or three laying around. I even have one disassembled. Tell me what parts you want and pay shipping I'll send them to you. PM or call 478 954-7426.

Status
Not open for further replies.