• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Aluminum Radiator!!!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Ok, im gonna get the right radiator for the EFI conversion. Wondering what to go with and what others on here like! Especially curious about the Champion radiator. Going into a 5 speed bronco so I don't need the tranny cooler. So lets hear what you all are running to keep things cool! ;D

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
You won't find a best aluminum radiator, they don't last more than a year if you use your bronco as a daily driver. Stick with the copper/brass and a crossover tube. My .02.

Mark

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
You won't find a best aluminum radiator, they don't last more than a year if you use your bronco as a daily driver. Stick with the copper/brass and a crossover tube. My .02.

Mark

>>> really.... my aluminum radiator been working fine since '04 & has a little over 30,000ish miles on it.... it's a AFCO brand purchased from Duff's back when, no idea what brand they sell now.... of course now it probably will fail ,better knock on some wood.... when it does fail, I planned on trying the explorer radiator....

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
But Blu, the last time I went to a rad shop, a stock replacement was far more expensive but essentially identical to the part store rad. Once I started asking about anything like heavy duty cooling the price jumped even more.
That price point forced me to buy the Duff 4 core rad I still have today. Its lasted about 24 years so far.

But I see the logic in checking with your local rad shop. I did and here in O'Town the price pushed me to Duffs.
Much fewer rad shops here now....but its been a quarter century...and things change...

I also see the logic in the Explorer Radiator. Somehow that dinky thing keeps our eb's cool and you can often get them at your local parts store for $120 bucks.

I even see the logic in the $150 dollar Champion. A relatively cheap experiment that has worked well for some.

I struggle with the logic of the Vendors Ron Davis, Be Cool, Etc...radiators that often push the $400 dollar mark. They look beautiful though,,,,

For that kind of money I'd get a copper/brass triple pass....

Anyways
Off my radiator soap box...lol

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I live in Tucson Arizona (Hot desert) and my cheap aluminum Champion radiator from ebay has been amazing and durable

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I was part of the Champion radiator mass buy, I bought the one for the explorer conversion, and even though the neck is like the original radiator, on the passenger side, It has worked as it should.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most aluminum radiators are thicker than original and you have to use a skinny Flex Fan and/or an electric fan to help it cool.

I am in hot, humid Florida. The best combo for me has been an original copper radiator with a F-Series serpentine (same depth as original v-belts) 1/2 spacer and rigid mechanical fan. Minimal trimming of the stock fan shroud is the only mods needed. This combo has been installed in front of a very nice 351W with NO issues.

The only 5.0 conversion radiator that I have seen with the thickness the same as original is the aluminum radiator that Toms Bronco has. This seems to be a very good option because you can still use a rigid mechanical fan without clearance issues. If anyone has used this radiator I hope they can chime in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Most radiator shops I have dealt with the "cooling expert" knew how stuff cooled 40 years ago and all the advancements since then that work great are "junk". Probably because they can't fix them with a roll of solder and a blow torch.

Modern cooling systems are great. They do a great job of cooling massive HP numbers in simple lightweight and compact radiators. They last as well. Most modern vehicles will never need a radiator (or even a service) in the life of the vehicle, which has about doubled since the old days.

Just follow modern installation practice. Use the super floppy rubber mounts, don't attach them rigid.

chuckyb

Contributor
No worries with my Champion. I can sit in traffic on a summer day with AC blasting. I've had it for a year but it seems pretty stout.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
The radiator that i currently have is aluminum and it has been fine. The only real issue is the reversed inlet and outlet that I currently have and as a result the crossover leaks a little bit hear and there but it makes a mess.

Will look at the options! ;D

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Why does your EFI need a different radiator? I still have the v-belts and a stock type aluminum replacement radiator.

ad2b54dc874dfdcf733b18463fac6384.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Do I need a new radiator? I guess in reality No! However, the main reason for the replacement is that I switched to the serpentine setup off of the explorer and ideal in and out for the EFI are opposite of the stock setup on the bronco. Can you make it work with the original radiator sure however, the big compromise is on the bottom where you need the stupid crossover tube and that is just a spot for issues if you ask me. Maybe I have to take a look at the parts store one more time to see if there might be a better option to eliminate the crossover tube all together! I don't really wanna spend the money but honestly tired of my truck looking like a grease monkey underneath considering it is all practically new asside from some nicks and scratches that will be addressed eventually!

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Yep. This is the one I bought. Lifetime guarantee. Got the crossover tube prior to this purchase, but since I swapped from the explorer reservoir to the superduty, I didn't have an easy way to keep using the old radiator.
80a475275a178886cb59aa3480e21d91.jpg
ebed602a645f2db2d9727d3e780582a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I like the looks of the Champion alot but the prices for them aren't so cheap anymore and I have been very happy with my Howe radiator and it is made in the USA. I think I am going to go with that unit from the graveyard if it is the same dimensions and fit as the other that I bought from them. I think the champion's are over 300 now. So I will pay a bit more for Made in the USA!

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Yep. This is the one I bought. Lifetime guarantee. Got the crossover tube prior to this purchase, but since I swapped from the explorer reservoir to the superduty, I didn't have an easy way to keep using the old radiator.
80a475275a178886cb59aa3480e21d91.jpg
ebed602a645f2db2d9727d3e780582a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I like the looks of the Champion alot but the prices for them aren't so cheap anymore and I have been very happy with my Howe radiator and it is made in the USA. I think I am going to go with that unit from the graveyard if it is the same dimensions and fit as the other that I bought from them. I think the champion's are over 300 now. So I will pay a bit more for Made in the USA! The only thing about this change that is bumming me out is if I am gonna be able to use the Shroud that I built previously but I guess I can always build another one! ;D

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Aside for a crossover tube that no one can really see underneath the truck, I have been running the stock bronco v-8 radiator with no issues. This is with the explorer front dress and other EFI components.

jgrow

champion

My champion lasted less than 1yr 4k miles in a EFI 302. It cooled very well but started leaking from the bottom of both sides. I think when twisting up the suspension i may have flexed it too much? er not. Anyways, I wanted to go brass/copper but couldn't wait so I went Ron davis. So far so good.