• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN wrong on title

DowntheShore

I am negotiating to purchase a '73 EB from someone out of state. I asked for pics of the VIN plate and the title. The VIN on the title has an extra "L" in it. Plate says U15GLP and title says U15GLLP. This is my first bronco and I don't want to get burned. Everything else about the truck looks great. Seems like a nice guy.

Should I run?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I am negotiating to purchase a '73 EB from someone out of state. I asked for pics of the VIN plate and the title. The VIN on the title has an extra "L" in it. Plate says U15GLP and title says U15GLLP. This is my first bronco and I don't want to get burned. Everything else about the truck looks great. Seems like a nice guy.

Should I run?

Most likely a typo by the DMV, which is fairly common. I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as the numerical part is correct, but I'd look into how difficult it would be to change in your state.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Chances are it’s a mistake by the DMV. They will do a title search along with viewing the vin. I’ve personally dealt with such an issue and it took 30 minutes at my local dmv to correct it. Now it might get muddy if they want to see the vin on the frame instead of the temporary vin plate found on the glovebox door. I was burned for that a few years ago and have since educated myself on VINs. I would not purchase a bronco unless the title matches the stamped vin on the frame.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A good DMV person will research it and see that the extra letter isn't a valid VIN. But the other is. Best to have it fixed before handing over cash. 99.9% just a clerical error and can be fixed with some calm talking.

But still best to be done by the current owner. Start mixing in owner transfers and crossing state lines and there tends to be a lot of finger pointing and often the fingers point in directions where no one is at.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This happened to me in the 80's when I was a teen. An I or a 1 was mistranscribed
Fought a dumb ass at the DMV for three weeks over it.

I asked my Dad what to do.
He said to just go to a different DMV.

Great advice. No issues.

I had gotten my self a jackass DMV fool at the other DMV. But this one was a really cool dude in his 40's.

So if you get any shit from your local DMV just hit up another one,
Worked for me.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most likely not a huge deal but like what has been written above have the current owner fix it. Also it’s not uncommon that I drive 30 minutes further to a secondary DMV so I don’t have to deal with the local “help.”

chuckyb

Contributor
I would ask to see a pic of the frame vin too in addition to having owner fix.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
We have a bronco in here with a factory misprint on the chassis. A T was used in place of an S with the S stamped directly on the T. The vin paperwork, tags etc all only have the S. Research was done to show there was never a vin near that sequence that a single letter change was the difference and that there was never that vin produced with a T so we know it was a factory mistake and correction.

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
I just dealt with this on a truck. I had the seller go to their DMV and fix it before purchase. So much easier.

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all of the advice. Based on what you all gave i went ahead and had him get a new title. Took delivery of my 1st EB yesterday.

I know everyone likes pics. I hope the link works.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMOJTr2sRtNdLELFTHsbyAhoa85RtLjmluDSA4O

Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

Forgive the small hi-jack here. Since you're in NJ check out Mid-Atlantic Early Broncos and good luck with your new EB. Would love to see it in person. Judy

pipeline010

Congrats DtS and where are you located? I'm at the jersey shore as well, looking to receive my bronco within a few weeks (already found, contracted).