• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2018 Barrett Jackson Scottsdale Broncos (13)

Jaxgtc

The RMD Urban bronco went for $130k. Tells a lot about the state of things considering the Kissimmee Baja went for that. No comparison in my view.

tylerwoolley

Loc.
Roseville, CA
AZ that is too bad to hear about Gateway Bronco and the quality issues, in your opinion.
Was there anything else that stood out to you about their builds? Anything you felt they did a good job at? I know their builds are very expensive, $85-200,000. I have seen other posts online that say something different, that their builds are very high quality. Would love to hear more from you on this?
PS: a couple of your pictures look like the door is simply not closed all of the way, maybe I am missing something...?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AZ that is too bad to hear about Gateway Bronco and the quality issues, in your opinion.
Was there anything else that stood out to you about their builds? Anything you felt they did a good job at? I know their builds are very expensive, $85-200,000. I have seen other posts online that say something different, that their builds are very high quality. Would love to hear more from you on this?
PS: a couple of your pictures look like the door is simply not closed all of the way, maybe I am missing something...?

I was careful to make sure the doors were fully closed before I took the pictures, and using an older iphone it was difficult to get on film what I was seeing in person on the body panel line ups. The doors most likely were a function of new seals which are known to prevent a nice fit. My own Bronco required extensive work on the doors because of the seals, but they close perfectly without slamming now, with alignment, and Velocity didn't have this issue. I thought the mechanical work and the interior/upholstery were very good quality. Some of their frames were finished well, others looked like they just sprayed over whatever was on it. The problem was body work. I discounted things which can happen in the rush to get to a show (like missing drive shafts - but look at the picture and you can see the mechanical quality), and I didn't post more pictures I took of poor body work and paint. (a post is limited to 8). But EVERY truck they had there had disappointing body work/paint so it wasn't just limited to 1 or 2 rushed Broncos to make the event. Since I'm building one myself and it's currently in paint so I'm familiar with what's involved, my take is it's related to their 2 month turn around. You have time/money/quality. If you sacrifice one, it shows up someplace else. Maybe these were all examples of their $80,000 builds, but I personally wouldn't have used them to advertise their business. If the quality on the outside looks like that, it makes you wonder whats on the things you can't see. But that's just me. I think there's probably a large market of customers who are happy with "good enough" body work because they're going to actually use them off-road. I was just surprised by what I saw compared to what I expected to see. I guess I was expecting to see what I saw at Velocity and better than my own build. Again this is just my opinion and there's most likely information I'm not aware of, but speaking to them it was all about the turn-around time.

Attachments

• IMG_6469.jpg
    IMG_6469.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6468.jpg
    IMG_6468.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 139

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I found a few 'interesting' items this year, as is my custom. I expect to see stuff like this on backyard trucks but not on vehicles purported to be finished to such a high level at an auction like this.

The multiple butt splices and cheezy plastic insulated butt connectors were on an early '70s Chevy that supposedly has just received a full 'rotisserie' restoration. I have to admit the rest of the truck looked pretty good.

And another early 70s Chevy 4x4 that had sold for 100K was apparently only in 'idle' mode based on the throttle cable, or lack thereof, on its throttle body unit...

Todd Z.

Attachments

• Fitech.jpg
    Fitech.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 119
  • wiring1.JPG
    wiring1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 118
  • wiring2.JPG
    wiring2.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 113

1buckeyefan1

Does anyone know which wheels this one is running?

https://www.barrett-jackson.co...ls/1971-FORD-BRONCO-SUV-213947
1e6c46c3679e884e420687f698eba3eb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tylerwoolley

Loc.
Roseville, CA
I was careful to make sure the doors were fully closed before I took the pictures, and using an older iphone it was difficult to get on film what I was seeing in person on the body panel line ups. The doors most likely were a function of new seals which are known to prevent a nice fit. My own Bronco required extensive work on the doors because of the seals, but they close perfectly without slamming now, with alignment, and Velocity didn't have this issue. I thought the mechanical work and the interior/upholstery were very good quality. Some of their frames were finished well, others looked like they just sprayed over whatever was on it. The problem was body work. I discounted things which can happen in the rush to get to a show (like missing drive shafts - but look at the picture and you can see the mechanical quality), and I didn't post more pictures I took of poor body work and paint. (a post is limited to 8). But EVERY truck they had there had disappointing body work/paint so it wasn't just limited to 1 or 2 rushed Broncos to make the event. Since I'm building one myself and it's currently in paint so I'm familiar with what's involved, my take is it's related to their 2 month turn around. You have time/money/quality. If you sacrifice one, it shows up someplace else. Maybe these were all examples of their $80,000 builds, but I personally wouldn't have used them to advertise their business. If the quality on the outside looks like that, it makes you wonder whats on the things you can't see. But that's just me. I think there's probably a large market of customers who are happy with "good enough" body work because they're going to actually use them off-road. I was just surprised by what I saw compared to what I expected to see. I guess I was expecting to see what I saw at Velocity and better than my own build. Again this is just my opinion and there's most likely information I'm not aware of, but speaking to them it was all about the turn-around time.

AZ thanks for the info but I have to say, Gateway Bronco's builds look VERY nice to me. Their lines and aesthetics are unmatched when being compared to other big Bronco builders. Wheel offsets, interiors, true retro look, attention to OEM detail...the best.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast

Attachments

• SUM-174-5185GN.jpg
    SUM-174-5185GN.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 11

68ford

Bronco Guru
Still amazes me that builders like velocity that put so much into a chassis, drivetrain, body and paint, then interior and they haven't figured out that running the cage behind the dash ,instead of in front of it, looks 100 times better and not like an afterthought of bent tubes clearing the dash in the way of the glove box and window cranks. I would assume that is a given on something of that caliber.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those butt splices look like they connect a fusible link section, which is nice, but I would not say the crimp connectors are vehicle quality. I would use heat shrink tube over that whole section and or some form of insulation wrap.