• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Holley Sniper EFI Install

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven't found much info on the Holley Sniper install yet, so I hope this helps. I will keep adding as I get through the install with results. I haven't posted a complete install yet, so questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Bought the rig with a very mild 302 and Edelbrock 1406 and was great on the street but no bueno off road no matter what tweaking I did, so I got the poor mans fuel injection and went with a Quadrajet set up by Carburetors Unlimited in Phoenix. Worked out great on and off road, but when FiTech came out with something more affordable I got the itch, then when Holley came out with the Sniper I couldn’t resist. Wife got it for me for xmas, love that girl!

Attachments

• IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 392
OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I started by installing the unit on the manifold because thats the fun part. When I tried to connect my Lokar throttle and kick down cables I found that the ball and socket for the kick down was hitting the valve cover so I installed a 1” spacer. Problem solved.
You can get the fuel system kit from Holley for about $260 with pump, soft fuel line, filters and a few fittings, so I decided to source the parts myself to save some money and wanted as much hard line as possible anyways and cheaper then $5/foot for efi flex.
Went with the Bosch 69100 in line fuel pump as recommend by a few members here as its suppose to be reliable and quiet. $75 on Amazon. The pump, filters, hard line, some flex and fittings totaled about $180, so saved a little dough there.
Installed the fuel pump on the crossrail in front of the tank. Was concerned about installing above the fuel tank level, but went with it there anyways after receiving some good feedback from you folks that it would work. Got some 2” conduit straps from Home Depot for mounting, tapped the frame and wrapped the pump in 3/8” high density foam for sound insulation and to shield it from the exhaust. Worked out sweet…..so far.
I was able to run hard fuel line almost the entire length on the outside of the frame rails to stay away from the exhaust which as great. Just a couple feet of soft line at the tank, pump and filters.

Attachments

• IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_2189.JPG
    IMG_2189.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 797
  • IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 758
OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Electrical is not my thing, so I read the direction like four times and called tech to clarify and few things and went after it. The system is awesome, it has a built in relay for the fuel pump and will prime the system before start up and most importantly will shut the pump off if there is no engine RPM in case of accident.
I roughly layed out the wiring and started making connections, which was very simple. The system will also turn on my booster cooling fan when the coolant gets above a set temperature, 195* in my case as well as a bunch of other outputs.

Once I had the main electrical connections made I connected the battery and began the set up. It was easy, just had to answer a few questions, then cycle the ignition. I threw a couple of gallons of fuel in to see if the inline fuel pump could pull from the bottom of the tank and sucked it right up. The pump made a whinning sound until it got fuel, then lowered to a very quiet humm.
Turned the key, and it fired right up. All of the readings were within the requirements for the system but then I ran out of time so I shut it down. Next is to clean up some of the wires, throw some gas in it and get up to operating temp so the system can begin to learn. Fingers crossed and will get some updates once I do.
I don’t care what anyone says, working on the Bronco, climbing under, over and around it for 10-12 hours a day for four days IS a workout! Good for the abs, quads and triceps at least that’s what I tell my wife. Peace for now more to come.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Subscribed as I'll me doing mine in about a week. One thing I noticed on yours is it looks like you're using a 20 micron pre-pump filter as your post pump filter. That needs to be 10 microns per Holley specs. They recommend 20 micron pre and 10 micron post. I'd like some additional detail on how you're running your return line from the throttle body too please. Thanks for the write-up!

BroncoBrad

Loc.
Athens
When did you order yours? I ordered from Holley in October and it was supposed to ship out late December but hasn't.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will double check the filter. Wife orderd mine from Wildhorses on 12/22 and was at my house on 12/27. They were out of the polished finish but I wanted the black anyways.

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other question: I know some people wrap their Bosch to keep the noise down, but don't in-line pumps have a cooling issue and wouldn't that prevent it from cooling?

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other question: I know some people wrap their Bosch to keep the noise down, but don't in-line pumps have a cooling issue and wouldn't that prevent it from cooling?

I was thinking of that too but exhaust is about 4-5" from pump. I may ditch the jacket and make a heat shield.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Yes, wrapping them in foam does interfere with cooling but they're wrapped in foam in the factory mounting brackets - I've assumed the OEM engineers figured they had some margin for cooling with this setup.

Todd Z.

crutch

Are there any other after market equipment required? Do you need an EFI specific fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
One day I will go fuel injection....
Really looking forward to everyone's results of the FITech and these Holley TBI injection systems.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing I noticed on yours is it looks like you're using a 20 micron pre-pump filter as your post pump filter. That needs to be 10 microns per Holley specs. They recommend 20 micron pre and 10 micron post. I'd like some additional detail on how you're running your return line from the throttle body too please. Thanks for the write-up!

Hey AZ73, I double checked the filters and got them right. In the photo is the NAPA 3033 and the fuel runs right to left. I have the NAPA 3482 10 micron before the Throttle Body.

I have an older BC 23 gal tank with a return port so I just ran a flex 3/8" low pressure fuel line back to the tank.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are there any other after market equipment required? Do you need an EFI specific fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You dont need an EFI specific tank and their fuel line kit comes with the bulkhead fitting and the fuel cuff if you want to tap into your stock tank.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...n/sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/526-7

Now if you are running duel tanks, then that gets a little tricky. There are some good threads on that if you do some searching.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finally had a chance to work on the EFI again. I got everything connected and went through the start up sequence making sure all the readings were as they should be. Turned the key and it fired right up on the first try. Nice! During the warm up the RPMs at idle would rise and fall a little. This is part of the start up and after 160* coolant temp the system went into learning mod. The idle was too high, about 1,450 so I followed the direction for setting that and was able to get it down some, about 950 but its till too high even with the idle screw almost all the way out. My timing is too high at idle 14-15* so will adjust that later today and see if that takes care of the high idle. The set up directions are very easy to follow in the manual and on the hand held.

Pulled out of the driveway and it stumbled a little but it was still learning. Took it easy for a while and watched the learning mod percentage, things going well for several miles so I tried WOT. When I hit the gas it responded right away, no hesitation. But there is a distinct turbo like sound but a higher pitch. Cant tell if its the EFI unit or the fuel pump. It comes on right when I hit the gas, then fades off and then for a second after I let off. Its not that loud and actually sounds pretty cool but might get old after a while. I cant find any vacuum leaks or fuel leaks so need to find out what thats all about. There is also a slight "clatter" sound from the EFI during idle. Again, not that loud but noticeable. Will have to call Holley on Monday on both these sounds.

Overall, I am very happy so far. I have about 40 miles on it and the throttle is more snappy, no lag when I hit the throttle. There is also no gas smell when sitting at a light, drive-through or in the garage!

More to come......

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice. Can't wait to hook mine up. Just re-doing the fuel lines to get ready.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a FiTech on mine. There is a port up through the throttle body that creates a noticeable "hiss" when running. I wonder if yours is similar creating that noise that you hear.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, Ive been running the EFI for several weeks now and even wheeled it at King of Hammers.

Honestly, at this point, my Qjet was just as good. It doesn't seem to pull as hard and still having starting issues after its warmed up. After many emails back and forth to Holley Tech, they finally told me the hissing and the injector clicking are normal. I have one of the air cleaners with the filament in the top for more flow, so I may change that for a more conventional cleaner hoping that will reduce the hissing and clicking noise. Attached are two videos so you can hear what I'm talking about. I am feathering the throttle so you can hear how the hissing changes.

I haven't given up yet, but curious if the FiTech makes the same sounds?

[youtube]erHO1linAaQ[/youtube]

[youtube]tVfYbARbwvA[/youtube]

68ford

Bronco Guru
I saw you out at KOH, wish I would have known you had installed this system. Before I went out there I was seriously talking to the wife about getting the same system. Mine smells horribly at idle and will not idle in neutral even until pretty warm due to the big cam. After hearing your small issues and me having 2 fuel cells making plumbing a pain, not to mention I drove all the way out Boone road on the east side through those whoops around 30-40 mph and my demon didn't even stumble one time, it's hard to justify the money and give up simplicity. but I would like the ease of driveability for the wife. Even when I'm warmed up, yiubstill drive with both feet.