• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Everyone,

I received some of my Dad's photos and slides earlier this week. (That's where the balloon pics surfaced.)

I also received one film reel. I have only tried reading the first few frames of the film. The title is the Mint 400. If I were to guess, I believe it's probably from the 1971 race.

I don't have a projector. (I'm asking around; but, so far I haven't come across anyone who has one.) I thought about having it digitally converted; but, I'm only interested in spending the money if there's some good content focusing on the Stroppe entries. (I've also looked at used projectors on Ebay.)

I was just wondering if anyone has knowledge of films that were produced about the Mint around that time frame.

There are a few slides (around 100, give or take) that my Dad took in the late 60s and early 70s. It looks like some were at races and some were at Bill Stroppe's shop. I quickly eye-balled most of them the other night. They motivated me enough to buy an inexpensive slide viewer that saves images. I've only converted four of the slides. I'm attaching one of the four. I thought it was pretty cool. I hope you enjoy it.

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It's such a good photo it almost looks modern....Well except for the plaid pants, haha.

Awesome Jeff!

Fallingcedar

Great shot Jeff.

I found a projector for my Dad's old films at a local non profit recycler that specializes in repurposing office equipment. Surplus Exchange in KC has everything from furniture to computers. I will bet there is a similar outfit in Indy. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Fallingcedar,

Thanks for the suggestion about the repurpose shop. This is the only film that I have, so I'm hoping to take a look at it before adding to my collection of antique gadgets. lol

Take Care,

Jeff

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Isn't that Parnelli Jones in the Plaid pants? Geat stuff man if I had a projector I would sent it to ya that's for sure.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice custom chrome bumper with the "PJ" worked into it. Kind of "bling"

Germd

The plaid pants & turtleneck confirms this is authentic '71 footage!
Only Parnelli Jones, Daniel Craig or Austin Powers could pull off that "shagadelic" look!
The truck on the other hand is timeless style.

House

Minutia Militia
Hey Jeff, I know a lot of us would LOVE to see more pics from inside Stroppe's shop!
Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi House,

I am really looking forward to going through the slides. It will probably be the middle of next week.

I'll definitely post them.

Take Care,

Jeff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agreed that is one fantastic pic. It's so well exposed, and has aged so well you'd think it was taken just the other Friday night before a race!

I have a manual film viewer like a miniature editing machine (in fact, that's what it is) that I used to watch 8 and Super-8 films on when I was a kid.
Enjoying your trip down memory lane with your dad.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hi House,

I am really looking forward to going through the slides. It will probably be the middle of next week.

I'll definitely post them.

Take Care,

Jeff

Look forward to it. 💰💰

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

Here's another picture in the shop at Bill's. I'm pretty sure that's him in the picture.

(This picture resolution may be too fine for the slides. Hopefully this pic isn't too large.)

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 488

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Awesome stuff, Jeff. I have an old 73 F100 class 8 that is destined to be a Stroppe tribute, so don't think you need to only post up the EB stuff!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Guys,

I'm glad you like them.

I can't take any credit for these. My Dad died in 1984. I was envious of him when I was in high school and college. He was the sales and marketing manager for Manchester Tank. They manufactured all of the tanks that were used by Bill. He seemed like he always enjoyed what he did. (And I always felt that he was too strict being that I only got to make one trip... to the Baja 500 in 1971.) If he was still alive, I know that he would have a lot of good stories. I have a lot of great memories from that time in my life.

I may be slow posting; but, as I get through the slides I'll at least post the ones that I think will be interesting to everyone here. I know there are more F100 pics... stay tuned.

(Craig, It's good to see you. Hope things are good up in your part of the state.)

Take Care,

Jeff

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Awesome stuff, Jeff. I have an old 73 F100 class 8 that is destined to be a Stroppe tribute, so don't think you need to only post up the EB stuff!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^THAT IS AWESOME!^^^ please start a thread someplace for the build!!!

And thanks to the OP for digging this stuff out and posting! I hope you have time to do some more. I love this site!!!

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

Here are a couple more pics from Bill's shop.

I suppose the first pic I posted in this thread was an "spy" shot.

Not sure that Parnelli considers this a PR pose or if he's annoyed with my Dad for asking him to look at the camera.

The second pic is of prep work on "The Stove". (I'm pretty sure that's the correct build.) The guy in the picture is Don Bass. Don worked for Impco (propane fuel systems) and was heavily involved in racing. I think he's helping to fabricate the propane forklift cylinder rack in this pic.

The third and fourth pics are of Jim Loomis and Bud Wright.

Based on the date on the slide jacket I believe the shop pictures that I have posted are from October 1970 and the Stove pictures are at the 1970 Baja 1000.

The second set of slides that I went throug wasn't as interesting as the first... I'll keep digging.

Have a great Sunday.

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 360
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 362
  • PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 357