• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baja or Bust Build Thread

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

Engine is back from the dyno and finally installed...I asked the builder for 400 lbs torque between 2500 and 4000 rpms and it makes between 399 and 411 for that whole range. Horse power is a little lower than I had expected though at 340. There is a lot of room to upgrade for more power if I want to later as those numbers are with the flat tappet cam and only a 670 cfm carb. It is a roller block, so a roller cam and FI could wake it up if I feel the need later on.

In my case the 351 Clevor required quite a bit of modification to the firewall and the clutch / brake pedal / booster mount to fit... I ended up moving the whole assembly towards the drivers side about 2 inches and moved it back about an inch to clear the valve cover...

The engine is perfectly level but for some reason looks off in my photos...

November is frighteningly close!

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Your pictures look like you guys need some sleep. As an old philosopher Jerry Reed once said. You got a long ways to go and a short time to get there.
Best wishes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Horse power is a little lower than I had expected though at 340.

At what rpm? Could it have spun up farther?
What about the top end curve? Did it start to taper off or was it still climbing?
I'm thinking that the 340 is right about where you would expect one with that level of a torque curve and old-school technology (mostly) so I think you're right on the money and it's going to pull like a tank and feel like a dragster compared to most Bronco engines!

And maybe the lower HP number will be a good thing in one area. It might mean a higher vacuum signal in the intake. Which is going to be a good thing with the vacuum brake booster.

Wait and see. It's gonna be fun.
Of course, you knew that already...;)

Paul

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

is that on 'ol school Don Garlits tach?

It is a replica...

Your pictures look like you guys need some sleep. As an old philosopher Jerry Reed once said. You got a long ways to go and a short time to get there.
Best wishes.

That is my cousin and my Dad in the photos after a long day of shoehorning the engine in, and we were all a little bit tired! My cousin John who also helped and myself are not pictured.

At what rpm? Could it have spun up farther?

I had it dyno'd up to 5000 rpms and the numbers were still climbing. I told the builder not to bother going any higher since I won't hit 5000 with the way I intend to use it.

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

I picked away at a few small details this evening with the little time I had available. PCV hose and power brake booster hose connected. Right exhaust manifold installed and started mocking up exhaust. USB charging ports and cigarette lighters for charging installed in dash. Fuse panel mounted on dash. Stella bracket mounted. Mount for my 12.9 IPad mounted...that Coca-Cola bottle opener was on the truck when my cousin bought it in '96.

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 120

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WHEN YOU spinning down here to take me for a rip? looking really cool Dave!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I picked away at a few small details this evening with the little time I had available. PCV hose and power brake booster hose connected. Right exhaust manifold installed and started mocking up exhaust. USB charging ports and cigarette lighters for charging installed in dash. Fuse panel mounted on dash. Stella bracket mounted. Mount for my 12.9 IPad mounted...that Coca-Cola bottle opener was on the truck when my cousin bought it in '96.

That's awesome.. Just them little things make it so much more special

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

Thank you for all of the encouragement!

I had a productive weekend. I fabricated the alternator and power steering pump upper brackets to fit the Cleveland heads. My cousin John helped to sort out the exhaust for both sides, I just need a few pieces from NAPA to button them up. I finished modifying my radiator support and it's reinforcement on the drivers side, I will button up the passenger side reinforcement next, it just needs a tube run from the shock hoop. My father has been installing the firewall and floor tin and he should be able to finish all but the transmission tunnel next Sunday.

New driveshafts have been ordered from Tom Woods...

My new windshield is installed...

Next I will need to sort out my radiator overflow, fan, fan shroud, ignition coil mounts, power steering cooler and hoses (maybe a filter?), fuel line, fuel filter and start wiring...

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

More progress...The front and rear drive shafts are installed. The Cactus Smasher is painted and installed. Oil, temp and volts gauges are installed. Radiator support, radiator and grille are installed and the overflow tank is sorted. I need another trip to NAPA for belts and hoses and some fittings for the overflow tank. I started figuring out my fuel fill and fuel line...

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 97

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Looking good! You'll be testing soon, hopefully before the weather really starts changing there. Are you coming out early to pre-run? Obviously it'll depend on how smoothly the testing goes, but just wondering if you were planning on it. I'll be at the B1K running support the first half, but not going to La Paz. I'll definitely look for you at contingency.

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

Looking good! You'll be testing soon, hopefully before the weather really starts changing there. Are you coming out early to pre-run? Obviously it'll depend on how smoothly the testing goes, but just wondering if you were planning on it. I'll be at the B1K running support the first half, but not going to La Paz. I'll definitely look for you at contingency.

Hello Bukin...Time is getting scarce, I doubt that I will do any pre-running. Most of my testing will be done while driving across the country towing my trailer! We did not get to pre-run 20 years ago either. I look forward to meeting you out there...

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Alright, cool buddy. I like your style! It's definitely crunch time. I haven't seen the vintage course yet but I heard it's around 200 miles shorter than the main as another attempt to keep the old iron from getting scrapped by a TT. Best of luck to you and I'll see you there.
We're starting testing the 17th. I need to get certified for a new pressurized re-fueling system we're using.
You should run in the NORRA 1000 in April. I know it would be hard to do both when you have to make a living and have family, etc., but after all, it is the happiest race on earth ��

OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

Some more progress...Roof is on, right and left quarter panels are installed with flares. Doors are latched and adjusted. Tailgate is installed. Battery cables are made and routed. Fuel line routed. Alternator and starter are wired. Over flow for radiator installed. Exhaust is done. Hood is on so I could measure for air cleaner height, not much room! Still a lot to do...

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
OP
OP
Swerve

Swerve

A little more today...Roof light bar and lights are mounted. 7 pin receptacle for the trailer installed. Heated and bent the Hurst shifter to clear my JB Fab twin sticks. Monte Carlo bar and coil mounts installed. More work on the transmission tunnel...

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I may have missed it - are you running in vintage or Class 3?

Todd Z.