• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can you mix 10w-30 and 10w40 motor oil?

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
feitctaj said:
what ???? I thought Dean Wormer said that, I get so confused:mad:

HaHaHa...That's funny.

I have to qualify my previous post. I am a power plant engineer. I deal with oils every day at work. I do onsite oil analysis along with oil maintenance and handling training for our area. I guess when someone says that they are mixing oils :eek: , my radar immediately goes off and I revert back to my test results and training.

No I haven't done any tests on automobile engine oil. I would like to someday. I think the results would be very interesting. I generally stick with turbine oils, bearing oils, 15 megawatt diesel generators, bearing greases, gearbox oils and things like that. So really an automobile engine is small potatoes. But that doesn't mean it is any less important. If a gearbox fails at work because of the lubricating oil, then the company pays to have it rebuilt. If my automobile engine fails at home then I pay for it to be rebuilt. That is why I would never never never mix brands or viscosities of oil. Just ain't worth the gamble.;)

Scott