Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Classifieds > Wanted - 66-77 Bronco Parts

Old 11/07/17, 01:28 PM   #1
hankjr
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"You're an engineer, aren't you?"

New Hampshire
Garage
Yellow Zinc Plating
City: Hillsboro

Gents. anyone have experience with / access to a plating job shop that charges reasonable? i have some smalls that im thinking of getting yellow zinc plated instead of paint. i got a quote from a place in Mass. that seemed extremely high. Not sure if going rates are like that, or they were not interested and priced themselves out of the market.

Thanks

Hank

Last edited by hankjr; 11/28/17 at 11:54 AM..

I've decided that life is too short to own all the cars i want to drive.....

my woefully out of date build thread http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243580
hankjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/17, 02:24 PM   #2
tasker
Contributor
all knowing of nothing

It's a jeep thing? you're all morons

The granite state

My Gallery
Garage
powder coat a choice?

tasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/17, 02:33 PM   #3
NicksTrix
Bronco Guru

Dream Big

Denver, NC
eBay: NicksTrix
plating shops don't like small batches/runs. you will have a min lot fee as well that will apply.
i do about a 1K pounds of parts a year when all said and done. each load is usually min 70#. it needs to all be stripped clean and ready to plate as well. we blast it with a glass bead and spray it down with a light oil solution to stop it from flash rusting. the first process it will go through is a degrease wash to prep it for the tanks.

if you just have a few parts you might want to consider doing a Caswell do it yourself kit. could be a fun experience.

what are you wanting plated?

NicksTrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/17, 03:03 PM   #4
hankjr
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"You're an engineer, aren't you?"

New Hampshire
Garage
i was thinking the back shell of the speedo cluster, tailgate strikers, latches, arms that sort of stuff. some is already blasted and wrapped in "oil paper", other parts not yet blasted, others might have rattle can primer.

i was quoted $175 for just the speedo cluster back shell which blew me away. powder coat is an option for sure, but i was thinking the plating might look neat.

hank

I've decided that life is too short to own all the cars i want to drive.....

my woefully out of date build thread http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=243580
hankjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/17, 05:46 PM   #5
jmangi62
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Hasta la vista,baby!

Omaha
Garage
I think I saw on one of the Saturday morning car shows on tv that Duplicolor has a rattle can plating system, I know I saw a chrome spray system somewhere that actually looked really good, maybe check into something like that, hell bring it over with a 6pk of suds and I'll spray it with whatever you want bud, lol. Location, Location, Location, Dam.
jmangi62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/17, 08:39 PM   #6
AZ73
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Barn Find

Scottsdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksTrix View Post
plating shops don't like small batches/runs. you will have a min lot fee as well that will apply.
i do about a 1K pounds of parts a year when all said and done. each load is usually min 70#. it needs to all be stripped clean and ready to plate as well. we blast it with a glass bead and spray it down with a light oil solution to stop it from flash rusting. the first process it will go through is a degrease wash to prep it for the tanks.

if you just have a few parts you might want to consider doing a Caswell do it yourself kit. could be a fun experience.

what are you wanting plated?
I had dozens of parts - door and tailgate rods and latches, pedals, fuel tubes, leaf spring shackles, suspension bolts, clutch linkage, flywheel cover plate, etc. At least 50 lbs of stuff and I still didn't hit the minimum so I just paid the minimum which I think was like $150. The plater, whose bread and butter was large commercial orders, had a soft spot for guys restoring cars and did the work for me. My guess is he priced it high so you'd go away. You can always try bringing a stack of parts and seeing if it's still $175.

Barn Find 73 going through a nut and bolt Restoration/Upgrade. Follow along at:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217635

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
AZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/17, 02:51 PM   #7
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
I do a lot of yellow zinc with East Side Plating in Portland, OR, and they have a $90 minimum for that process IIRC. Once you hit the minimum, the per part cost is usually pretty low. I pay about $.75 to $1.50 per part with things that are mostly 4x6 inch flat plates or smaller, but I also have them run them through a rotoblast prior to plating for a uniform finish.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Apogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/17, 05:22 PM   #8
RPM289
Contributor

Do into others what you would have them do to you. Matthew 7:12

Phenix City, AL
eBay: RPM289
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
I do a lot of yellow zinc with East Side Plating in Portland, OR, and they have a $90 minimum for that process IIRC. Once you hit the minimum, the per part cost is usually pretty low. I pay about $.75 to $1.50 per part with things that are mostly 4x6 inch flat plates or smaller, but I also have them run them through a rotoblast prior to plating for a uniform finish.
Is a $90 run by weight or size of parts?

"VOLCANO" 1970 Bronco, "LIGHTNING" 1995 Lightning, "EARTHQUAKE" 1965 Pro-street Mustang, "RPM289" 1966 Mustang restoration project... can there be to many projects?
RPM289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/17, 03:00 PM   #9
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM289 View Post
Is a $90 run by weight or size of parts?
My understanding is that they have a per part minimum, which covers their labor for small parts, and then a surface area adder, as that determines the electrical needs and consumables with respect to the zinc solutions. If you have a lot of small parts that can be tumbled, like fasteners, then you can do a batch of barrel-plating for $30 batch minimum, but for the flat plate type stuff I normally do, they use a rack-method which is more labor intensive, hence the higher batch minimum. Factored into that is their cost to process a purchase order, bill it, etc.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Apogee is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Classifieds > Wanted - 66-77 Bronco Parts