• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SOLD Yellow Zinc Plating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gents. anyone have experience with / access to a plating job shop that charges reasonable? i have some smalls that im thinking of getting yellow zinc plated instead of paint. i got a quote from a place in Mass. that seemed extremely high. Not sure if going rates are like that, or they were not interested and priced themselves out of the market.

Thanks

Hank

Last edited:

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
plating shops don't like small batches/runs. you will have a min lot fee as well that will apply.
i do about a 1K pounds of parts a year when all said and done. each load is usually min 70#. it needs to all be stripped clean and ready to plate as well. we blast it with a glass bead and spray it down with a light oil solution to stop it from flash rusting. the first process it will go through is a degrease wash to prep it for the tanks.

if you just have a few parts you might want to consider doing a Caswell do it yourself kit. could be a fun experience.

what are you wanting plated?

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i was thinking the back shell of the speedo cluster, tailgate strikers, latches, arms that sort of stuff. some is already blasted and wrapped in "oil paper", other parts not yet blasted, others might have rattle can primer.

i was quoted $175 for just the speedo cluster back shell which blew me away. powder coat is an option for sure, but i was thinking the plating might look neat.

hank

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I think I saw on one of the Saturday morning car shows on tv that Duplicolor has a rattle can plating system, I know I saw a chrome spray system somewhere that actually looked really good, maybe check into something like that, hell bring it over with a 6pk of suds and I'll spray it with whatever you want bud, lol. Location, Location, Location, Dam. ;)

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
plating shops don't like small batches/runs. you will have a min lot fee as well that will apply.
i do about a 1K pounds of parts a year when all said and done. each load is usually min 70#. it needs to all be stripped clean and ready to plate as well. we blast it with a glass bead and spray it down with a light oil solution to stop it from flash rusting. the first process it will go through is a degrease wash to prep it for the tanks.

if you just have a few parts you might want to consider doing a Caswell do it yourself kit. could be a fun experience.

what are you wanting plated?

I had dozens of parts - door and tailgate rods and latches, pedals, fuel tubes, leaf spring shackles, suspension bolts, clutch linkage, flywheel cover plate, etc. At least 50 lbs of stuff and I still didn't hit the minimum so I just paid the minimum which I think was like $150. The plater, whose bread and butter was large commercial orders, had a soft spot for guys restoring cars and did the work for me. My guess is he priced it high so you'd go away. You can always try bringing a stack of parts and seeing if it's still $175.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do a lot of yellow zinc with East Side Plating in Portland, OR, and they have a $90 minimum for that process IIRC. Once you hit the minimum, the per part cost is usually pretty low. I pay about $.75 to $1.50 per part with things that are mostly 4x6 inch flat plates or smaller, but I also have them run them through a rotoblast prior to plating for a uniform finish.

RPM289

I do a lot of yellow zinc with East Side Plating in Portland, OR, and they have a $90 minimum for that process IIRC. Once you hit the minimum, the per part cost is usually pretty low. I pay about $.75 to $1.50 per part with things that are mostly 4x6 inch flat plates or smaller, but I also have them run them through a rotoblast prior to plating for a uniform finish.

Is a $90 run by weight or size of parts?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is a $90 run by weight or size of parts?

My understanding is that they have a per part minimum, which covers their labor for small parts, and then a surface area adder, as that determines the electrical needs and consumables with respect to the zinc solutions. If you have a lot of small parts that can be tumbled, like fasteners, then you can do a batch of barrel-plating for $30 batch minimum, but for the flat plate type stuff I normally do, they use a rack-method which is more labor intensive, hence the higher batch minimum. Factored into that is their cost to process a purchase order, bill it, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.