• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco shell in Angola, Africa

BorderBronco

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
I am following the adventures of this guy who is transiting Africa over the next two years, and even though he is using a J**p, it's an interesting read. He is currently in the Namib desert of Angola. While looking over the story i came across this pic he took... Does that look like a 66 or so Roadster?

Attachments

• namib-jeep-car-wreck-720x480.jpg
    namib-jeep-car-wreck-720x480.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 777

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It sure does look like a roadster! The inserts are still mostly there and the '66 rear bumper. I bet that one would have an interesting story if it could talk!
The natives must have cannibalized the rear quarters to put on a cart!

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I left it there a couple years ago I plan to go back and get some more parts off it soon it is a great place to store parts broncos :cool:;D:eek:%)

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Neat pic! Would have thought a body in the desert would have survived better than this. Humidity or wonder what caused the severe deterioration?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The desert soil (sand?) is typically very saline. Even here in AZ if you put steel in the ground it will rust real bad real quick with only a little rain. With only a little rain the (natural) salts don't get washed away like in a more rainy enviroment. There is also the unknown of where this bronco existed before it ended up in this location.

The interesting canabalizing on this as well. The natives were after parts for other non-bronco uses.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Saved the pic and zoomed and sure enough 66' front and rear bumpers and dash. That's like on Close Encounters of the Third Kind where they find the missing airplanes in the desert lol.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wow - who would've thought something like that would be in the African desert!

Todd Z.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Wow! What an incredible find! Pretty wild that a U13 has been found in Africa. I'd love to have whats left.

Makes me wonder how many were exported to Africa.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
one more thing it's missing.... some owner saying " no I don't want to sell I'm going to restore it."

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wpw great patina. haaa bring it California and sell for 10k
what is that guys link for his travels i want to check it out

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm more impressed someone cut the side panels off to get some metal.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for sharing. Thats amazing. What great yard art it would make.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the last "restored" Bronco I bought off eBay! %)

I've got to stop buying these things "sight unseen". ;D

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
one more thing it's missing.... some owner saying " no I don't want to sell I'm going to restore it."

"Was running when dropped from the sky."

"Was running when buried."

"Was running when dug up."

"Was running...like the natives..." (All I can imagine is **click** the folks from "the **Click click** gods must be crazy.**Click click**

Toddpole

Contributor
Saw that one on eBay last month. Final bid was $6,670.00. It didn't meet reserve so the seller pulled it from eBay. Look for it to show up on craigslist in your area soon!