• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
EDIT: I no longer get the killer pricing for tuning these, so the mass buy price is a thing of the past. For current pricing and options please see this thread. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257251
The rest of this thread is full of decent tech, so don't let it stop you from reading farther.

I see that Explorer 5.0 swaps are becoming very popular, but most people seem to use the Fox Mustang electronics. While this works well, it adds to the cost because you then have to source the Mustang electronics and distributor, which are becoming pricey and harder to find. Add to that the cost of an aftermarket transmission controller if you want to run the 4R70W.

I aim to change all of that by offering an A-Ford-able solution to everyone that has access to a donor Explorer vehicle, and even those that don’t.

The package that I will be offering includes re-working your current Explorer harness, and re-flashing your current Explorer PCM to meet your needs. I will work with each of you individually to build a truly custom harness to fit your rig. This will include a small fuse box and the needed relays to make this a stand-alone system. I can also offer the harness and PCM to those that don’t have them at a very reasonable price as they become available.

Payment: I really prefer a Postal money order. However, I realize that some of you may be building rigs on credit cards. My only option for credit cards is Paypal at the moment. While a really don’t like Paypal, I will accept if for those of you that must use it.

I think that about covers the needed info. If you are interested, please post up. If you have general questions, please ask them here. If you have very specific questions that will only apply to your setup feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys.

Edited to add...

The most commonly asked question is how much of the firewall harness is needed. This picture should give you an idea, try your best to send me everything in yellow.

9ngCH6U.jpg

Last edited:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Subscribed. I hope more people seriously look at this option. I have my harness done. I just need the EEC flashed. I'll keep in touch.

Mark

ransil

Bronco Guru
What year harness is preferred and what computer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Mark if you want in on the mass buy for just the PCM flash I'll cut you a little break.

As for the year of harness and PCM, I can do any year, so long as the harness and PCM match.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Does the flash take care of pats in the later harness and eliminate codes?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I am also interested in just getting a ECM done. I have the donor engine and harness and plan to make the harness myself. Just need to get an ECM and have it flashed.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Yes, it removes PATS completely. As far as codes, the few that I've done already I've had success in removing all trans and emissions codes with one exception. When using an enhanced Ford specific scan tool and running the KOEO or KOER test it will toss a code for not being in park while running the test. This is only for people that are not running the 4R70W. This will not affect a generic OBD2 scan. I also leave all the important codes in place so you do get a CEL if something is wrong.

If there is a lot of interest in just the PCM flash I'll gladly do a mass buy just for that.

ransil

Bronco Guru
We can run a 4R70W trans with no issues?

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
We can run a 4R70W trans with no issues?

Correct. In fact it's actually easier if you do. That means less changes to the wiring harness and less to change inside the PCM.

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
I am currently shopping for a donor engine for the front serpentine setup, along with the SEFI. What are the overall years I am looking for, and are there some years with better components? I am intending this for my trail rig 351W.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Subscribed. I just picked up a 1996 Explorer for a donor. No specific plans for it right off but the price was to good to refuse.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Kurt,

The only changes I know of through the years (96-01) are injector size, egr type, and cam sensor type. If you're running a 351 I would try and get a pre-99, just because of the larger injectors.

How built is the 351? If it's staying stock-ish I can make the needed changes for you in the tune. If this thing has a wicked cam or anything you would be better off trying to find a local tuner to handle it. I could probably get you close just knowing every mod, but if a change needed to be made you would have to ship it back to me. Also if it's a wild build I would want data logs to be able to make the changes. By the time you spend the money on that and shipping a time or two it wouldn't save you any time or money.

I do have a couple of early PCM's on hand if someone needs them.

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
What about the ignition 'trigger'(dont know the right part name) for the 351? I think all the 5.8 truck motors came with a dizzy. And the one in the 5.0 wouldn't fit the 351. Just something I was thinking about after reading about this.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The easiest way would be to use the Explorer accessories, you would effectively be upgrading your alternator and power steering pump that way. You would need to have the balancer re-balanced to 28oz or buy one from Damper Dudes. There are places that do make the trigger wheel if you don't want to go that route, you just have to figure out which method to use to mount it.

As for the Cam sensor, from what I understand MSD makes one or used to, there was mention of another company as well in the 5.0 distributorless thread in the tech section. It has also been rumored that the 3.8 sensor can be used if you make a collar for it, or you can mix and match the 3.8 shaft with the 5.0 housing...So I'm told. I may look in to that later as I have both around here somewhere.

The 351 thing isn't nearly as easy as a 5.0, but it's doable without too much headache.

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
Thanks I was thinking about that and figured Ford didn't make one, but maybe the aftermarket did.

Would the Explorer OBDII stuff be better for a modified 5.8 (aluminum heads, GT40 intake, custom cam, 9.5ish c:r), than the OBDI Mustang EFI?

I was told OBDII stuff had much better custom programming available and better diagnostics. This was all info given to me regarding 5.9L Dodge Magnum motor into a hot rod, not Ford stuff. I hadn't looked into OBDII stuff for my upcoming (not very soon)5.7 swap, mostly because the Mustang swap is so well documented, and I've been very happy after putting it on my 302 already.

Just wondering if its worth thinking about using this on my 5.8, or sticking with a custom tuned Mustang ECU and the EFI/wiring harness that is already in my truck (this would be easier- obviously). Do you do anything with custom tunes on OBDI stuff?
EDIT Of course you do I've been watching Airburs thread at ACB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
There are pros and cons to both, and there are limitations and requirements to what I can do as far as tuning a vehicle that I don't have access to. This one would be better to discuss over the phone for you to make an informed decision. I'll shoot you my phone number via PM.