• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer 5.0 vs 351w

Wyo4x4er

ok so im at a cross roads with my bronco, i want to build a capable daily driver with ac.

that being said i swapped a zf 5 and 205 already with 33's

I will be doing efi conversion with either engine. My requirements are
reiability,longevity, and capability.

I have heard that 351w have cooling issues? I have a new champion radiator
and toms shroud.

I am worried that the explorer engine will be underpowered.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
the exploders were rated @210 hp and 280torque. while not huge power, the last (1995) mustang gt with a 5.0 windsor was only 240hp. the exploders did fine for power with the 5.0. bronco weighs less so hp to weight is even better. it goes back to what you are gonna do with it. gearing is always a factor as well...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm being serious here.....don't laugh......but I say do both.
Use the Windsor short block and the Explorer upper with the
BC lower intake manifold adapter.
Best of both worlds.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No real cooling issues with the 351. What ever issue you have with one you can have with the other. Good radiator with proper fan and shroud will usually work fine on any engine.

of your 3 requirements either engine will meet all the expectations. But the 351 will have more capability.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Love, love, love, love my 351W.

I have had 3 Broncos with 351Ws. One in an 86, one in a 95, and now one in my 1970.

The low end torque is awesome for wheeling, but it still winds up nicely for peppy street driving. Mine stays within normal temps with stock radiator, flex fan, and an aux electric fan in front of rad for slow speed wheeling.

I don't get great mileage with the Holley Truck Avenger 670. I want to go EFI.

Good luck with decision.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have absolutely NO over heating issues with my 351w. I'm in Florida which has been VERY humid lately and 90+ degrees.

A stock 351w build will have a lot more torque than a well built 5.0 at lower RPMs. This is perfect for a Bronco. Both engines will cost about the same to build with EFI.

Stock 351w Longblock and lower intake / BC Adaptor / GT Mustang 5.0 Upper intake.

351w Longblock with Lightning Lower GT40 Intake / Any GT40 5.0 Upper intake - Explorer / Tubular / Cobra Intakes.

Wire harness is the same.
Sensors are the same.
Injectors are the same.
et., et.

Um, I'd go 351w without a doubt.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
An explorer 5.0 pushed my last bronco with 38s awesome, but i had 5.13 gears and a 4r70w. Gearing is more important than hp. And an explorer 5.0. gets about 40 hp increase at the rear wheels with good headers and exhaust, i have seen the dyno results.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
It was 96f here yesterday and I drove mine around for a while. It got up to 210f but that's it. And this is a 427W.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
...Use the Windsor short block and the Explorer upper with the BC lower intake manifold adapter.

Not quite. The Explorer upper is GT40 style (staggered round ports). For a 351w the only ways to use the Explorer upper are with the Lightning 351w lower or the cast iron marine GT40 lower. The BC Broncos adapter lets you bolt a Mustang-style upper to a truck 351w lower.

As for engine heating problems - My 351w runs pretty reliably at 190 all day long in nearly any condition. I run a Summit aluminum radiator and Derale 2-speed electric fan from WH. Standard OEM style water pump, regular old antifreeze with a little Water Wetter and that's about it. No extra ventilation, etc. Was the same way with the carburetor before I swapped.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
351 will require a different oil pan, dist. and intake, depends if you are on a tite budget. As for intake trick flow and edelbrock make efi manifolds that you can find a lot cheaper then trying to locate a 351 lightning(very pricey) everything else bolts on and is well worth the extra torque.

OP
OP
W

Wyo4x4er

Ok thanks guys ive been leaning towards a 5.8 but dont want to have coolong issues in iowa. I also wanna take long trips with the family.

Thank you forall your input

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I say 351w with Explorer EFI. I may be a little biased though.;D

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Truck 351W, Explorer heads, truck lower (car-part.com) Mustang upper with simple Mustang A9P/L injection. Explorer serpentine, Explorer radiator and Bronco shroud...

It runs awesome, fits and has TONS of power...
IMG_20130524_151234_zpsee780120.jpg

Bone stock 210HP 325TQ - the explorer heads, better intake and exhaust should put this around 230/350 ;)

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
What should I be looking for in vehicles to source a donor 5.8/351w. Sorry for the hijack but looking at this upgrade as well.;D

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I have a 92 truck 351W with 5.0 upper and RJM harness. Love it.....no cooling issues with the motor but have an upgraded aluminum radiator. I am working out cooling issues with my C4 though. Plenty of power, glad I made the choice.