• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timken Bearings

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I know some of you use Timken Bearings. My question is my son is working on his 85 Trans Am, he ordered bearings for the front rotors, I was checking to see if he got all the parts and notice the outer bearings have a plastic cage instead of a metal cage holding the taper bearings. Has anyone used this type of bearing? I've never installed a bearing like this.

Attachments

• DSCN1341.jpg
    DSCN1341.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 73

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
The cage is only there to hold the bearings in place while outside the race, no other purpose. The advancements in plastics has replaced a lot of metal parts with major cost reductions in production. Bright side is it reduces un-sprung weight.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know some of you use Timken Bearings. My question is my son is working on his 85 Trans Am, he ordered bearings for the front rotors, I was checking to see if he got all the parts and notice the outer bearings have a plastic cage instead of a metal cage holding the taper bearings. Has anyone used this type of bearing? I've never installed a bearing like this.

Short answer, it's normal so don't worry about it.

Longer answer, your son's 3rd-gen F-body uses a SET34 outer wheel bearing, and they're all built to that spec, regardless of manufacturer. I've spoken to a couple bearing guys (engineers, field techs, etc) over the years about it and the general consensus was that it was necessary in certain applications to reduce the frictional drag caused by the cage, which results in heat and can lead to other failure mechanisms, thus shortening bearing life. The SET34 bearing is a bit of an oddball that was generated to basically replace the older SET2 bearings (.750" ID) with the same OD, length through bore and load ratings, but have a .844" ID. It was mostly a GM thing as far as I know.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Thanks guys, it kind of through me, seeing the plastic cage.Ya the outer bearing is a SET34 and the inner is a SET6 , and it has a metal cage on it.;D