• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TRO Questions

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If you like something like the Clydesdale but think it's a bit silly size-wise, and like the GM one ton stuff, you might consider some of the options that Rare Parts makes in their Fab Series.

They offer the standard size 1-ton stuff, a mid-range offering (size-wise) and then silly large (which WH offers as their "Clydesdale" system). You'd still have to get your tie rod and drag link pieces fabbed but there are some options for larger ends if desired:

http://www.fabseries.com/parts-list.php

Todd Z.

Tucknkitty

Dude!! toddz you’re the man.

I think there would be a way to build a similar set up to the Clydesdale and 1 Ton but get all the design aspects / benefits of the 3 way.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Good find but they have the drag link coming out straight not at the 60 degree up angle which works better.

Is it too much to want stronger steering without giving up good steering?

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Paul's WH 3 way with the Chromoly tie rod look like a good way for me to go.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Steve, I wish I had the golden goose egg but I don't.

We have looked at offering a GM 1 ton setup as well as a EB tie rod setup both using DOM and jam nuts. So far both options have offered more road blocks than solutions. I would love to offer/build something that the majority of you would buy but the parts need to be readily available, inexpensive to produce, strong enough to go on a moderate trail and not be outdated in 5 years.

If anyone here can help me do the research and come up with the solution we would love to offer that to the Bronco Community.

In the mean time it looks like Wild horses has a real nice setup that would work for the majority of Bronco's out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
So kind Michael!

There is a gap in the market but I guess if it was an easy gap to fill you guys would have already thought of it.

I am always blown away by you and Suzy's ideas. I have a feeling you two will eventually figure this out too.
In fact I look forward to it.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well, I have decided to go with the Duff spherical rod end or Heim steering linkage. Most of you are not surprised, lol.
Love me some Duff's.

I called the order in to Brandon at Duff's....Brandon was very quick. I knew exactly what I wanted. He knew exactly what part number it was. I do not believe the call lasted more than 5 minutes.
Brandon is always "on his game".

.....but I have texted/bugged Monster Mike at length online about all of my silly questions regarding this particular steering linkage.
He has been very patient.
He always is.

It will be on its way to me shortly. It is my intention to have it installed before Supercel.

As always,

Love me some Duffs

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
By the way,

Sandman here on CB has decided to go with the WH 3 way set up vs my Duff SRE linkage.

We will be able to compare notes here on CB.
So that others can decide what is right for them.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Steve, good to hear you are making forward progress. :)
I bet you will get yours installed long be mine is done. I will definitely post up how it goes. Should be an improvement over my bent, stock set up. Also found worn out trackbar and C bushings which were probably causing my death wobble...
Thanks go to DirtDonk for his detailed replies to my questions.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Just mock-up so far.

Not tightening anything down yet

Attachments

• 20190331_222237.jpg
    20190331_222237.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190331_222201.jpg
    20190331_222201.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190331_222242.jpg
    20190331_222242.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190331_222221.jpg
    20190331_222221.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 58

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Can you weld? Like bet your life type weld?

Then RuffStuff heims when threaded into DOM tubing inserts (which are welded in), with 3/4" drilled knuckles, and an "attachment point" to mount the drag link to the tie rod. The point where the drag link attaches to the tie rod has a variety of ways to attach it properly. Very common but inspection states can cause issues with heim joints. Very strong.

The GM TRO conversion is very strong...many, many times stronger than stock so don't worry about the stories of where/how it attaches worry you. Literally hundreds of us have run this setup with 37" tires in nasty conditions without issue.

Your call..

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Florida doesn't do those safety inspections anymore.
Infact not since the early 80's.

I deliberated for quite awhile.
I went with the Duff SRE system for strength and precision.
Also going TRO at the same time.
Also going back to stock pitman arm.
All of my steering linkage angles are going to be much better than they have been for a long time. So I will likely be very pleased with the results since I've been driving it with far too steep of steering linkage angles for quite a while.

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Update,

Of course tons of clearance...
Way better angles....
Much stronger....

But what I didn't expect is how much easier it is to steer.

Doesn't really make a lot of sense. Of course it's all spherical rod end linkage from Duff's and it is in the tie rod over position and I did get to go back to a stock pitman arm. I realize that's a lot of changes but that is all the changes that I made. And it is so much easier to steer. Very smooth.

I just really like it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Update,

Of course tons of clearance...
Way better angles....
Much stronger....

But what I didn't expect is how much easier it is to steer.

I just really like it.

Outstanding, glad to hear it..

OP
OP
bronconut73

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
so 3+ years on this upgrade and I still love how easy and smooth my steering is.
Of course its waaay stronger but it seems unlikely for the tie rod to hit a rock since its up so high now being TRO.

This is one of those things I was too-chicken to do for years and years. Really wish I would have done this and the Explorer Serp Swap about 10 years sooner than I had.

Newbies learn from my mistake.
Do not wait.
Do the Explorer Serp Swap and go tie rod over and back to a stock/flat pitman arm (if ya had a dropped arm).
Do not wait for years like me.
Lots of support here on CB, you can do it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Unless you are doing severe rock climbing, we are way overthinking either the heim or the GM 1-ton. Either are substantially stronger than stock IMO.

I am a fan of the 1-ton, I do run the inserts to make the best contact and the Cure does help with the roll effecting steering. A big plus for me is that parts are available locally and you can carry an additional spare if it's absolutely needed for cheap.

Heims are fine as long as they are captured and cannot just pop out if a nut loosens. There was a bronco supplier in TX who had this happen to a customer, and then later revamped their kit to keep this from happening.. Heims can also develop some pretty good squeaks which can be annoying as well.

Good luck with your decision.