• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Feed back, like that amazing cleanup of the rats nest that was my factory 95 harness? That was a miracle.

Ha ha, that was the kind of brain stimulation that hurts a bit. ;D
The before and after shots are a little impressive though.

It wasn't that bad, just gotta take it one wire at a time.

Thank you for the kind words as well.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Garry, Thanks for the last post it clears up alot...

And thanks to guys that posted up that Garry does stand up work ;D

So it sounds very do-able and I need to get the bulkhead connector and the OBDII test port from a donor to put this all together.

Too bad I have already p/up a Bowmann controller and the Mustang EFI stuff to go the other way... But I am sure that they would be easy to sell...

I am a little ways out from making the switch out to Explorer in my 68EB, but I will continue to montor this thread to see when you do the 1st round of the mass buy

Doug

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
So Garry's system won't use a Quarterhorse or Tweecer?

No sir, you send me the PCM with the harness. I directly flash the new tune to the Explorer PCM. That's why it can be difficult to do the heavily modded motors. If a change needs to be made you will need to mail the PCM back to me. I do all changes / re-flashing for free, you just need to cover shipping. I'll honor that for as long as I'm in business. Hopefully you guys keep me there.;D

904 Bronco, If you need to grab the bulkhead wiring and port, make sure you grab as much length as you possibly can. It's easier to cut wire than to add it.
I can also source them locally if need be for people that don't have them. I hit the boneyards around here every couple of weeks and I don't mark up the price for something like that very much.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
904 Bronco, If you need to grab the bulkhead wiring and port, make sure you grab as much length as you possibly can. It's easier to cut wire than to add it.

Ok I will ask a stupid question - bulkhead connector... are they all the same as long as it has a 5.0 in it? I am assuming the same for the OBD port?

It would make the search easier, since I do not have to look just for the 98 year that I have...

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Yes it should be the same for all 5.0's. I would think that even a 96-01 V6 would work since 6 vs 8 shouldn't matter in that section of harness, but don't hold me to that. Try for the 5.0 if you can.

For the OBD2 port, you can pull it out of any Ford 96-04 I believe. I've pulled them from Expeditions before because they are a little easier and longer.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
So does this mean that by going with the Mustang setup off of a 89 I believe that I am using severely outdated EFI technology??? %)

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
So does this mean that by going with the Mustang setup off of a 89 I believe that I am using severely outdated EFI technology??? %)

If it's not broke, I certainly wouldn't fix it.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Is it possible to rewire the Explorer harness to include power for the Baumann controller? Since I already own the controller, I would like to use it, plus I like the idea of controlling the shift patterns and mulitple programs. If this is possible, I would be all over this. I like the idea of running the newer injection.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Is it possible to rewire the Explorer harness to include power for the Baumann controller? Since I already own the controller, I would like to use it, plus I like the idea of controlling the shift patterns and mulitple programs. If this is possible, I would be all over this. I like the idea of running the newer injection.

Yes, I can do that. To do it the way I would prefer I would set you up with the 6 panel fuse box, instead of my usual 4. I would also add a relay just for the controller. Figure another $30 for the relay and box. I can add your needed TPS signal to the harness at the same time, that way it's in the cab and easier for you to hook up.

If you don't have the complete harness and needed the solenoids and sensors added to the Baumann unit I could even swing that as well. I'd want to figure out all the details of mounting locations and such before I quoted you a price though.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So some more questions... Sorry

I asked this earlier... I have a new Areo EFI tank and have purchased a mustang style in tank pump. Will this work? Or do I need the Explorer pump?

I was planning to convert my Explorer motor over to Mustang EFI. I had planned to retain the Charcole canister and purge solenoid. I cannot remember if the Explorer had this... Would I be able to retain this feature? It would prevent the gas smell in the garage when the tank is full.
Planning a run to Pk-n-Pl Friday to parts shop. Doug

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Your fuel pump will work fine.

The 99-01 guys will have to make sure the pump and regulator they use is capable of 61psi, I would think most EFI pumps are but it would be best to double check the specs.

As for retaining the EVAP system I think it's a fabulous idea. There are a couple of ways to do this, you will need to grab a couple of parts on your PNP trip for it though. I'll send you my number via PM and we'll figure out which way would work best.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Garry,

I am interested in the Mass Buy (harness/PCM). I have a complete 97 Mountaineer donor for my 76. I would like to run my C4 to start, with the option to swap in the 4R70W as $$ allows for the ZF adapter and drive shafts.

I have been reading cscotted's thread on his install, the help you have been providing, and it looks like he's up and running. I have also been online researching all the tuning options (Tweecer, Quarterhorse, STC, etc.), going EEC-IV with Mustang parts and EEC-V options using the Explorer parts. While most of it is over my head, your offer for harness work and PCM flash look like a great value that uses the parts on the donor truck I already have.

I'll PM you about sending a deposit.

Tim.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Tim,

That won't be a problem at all. I'll setup the harness so that you just need to plug in the transmission harness when you're ready. You will need to send the PCM back to have it setup for the 4r70w though. I won't charge any more to do that as long as it's the same PCM, you'll just need to cover shipping when you're ready.

I'm still looking in to making the EVAP system work properly. I should know more in a couple of days.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too am going to subscribe, but we've not been able to find any Exploder 5.0..
.. Funny the only one I've found was last winter. One was left on the side of the road and after about 2 weeks it got red tagged. I stopped an looked it over twice. Man it had 5.0 an 5 speed 4x4. And a rather good set of tires & mags.
Just as I expected someone jacked it up pulled the tires & wheels replaced them with turds & one lug bolt attached . State had it picked up next day.

POOH BEAR

Loc.
Lakeland,La.
I'm very interested in the mass buy. I will need to get the obdll port and bulkhead connector. I will start scavaging the parts yard for theses parts. I would also like the 4r70w connection available while I currently use my c4. How many members do you have currently awaiting? I'm ready when everyone else is. Thanks Jason

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Ok guys, I finally got my out-dated cell phone to play nicely with my computer. Here are some low quality pictures that may clear some things up a bit.

This is the bulkhead connector I have been referring to. You want to trace it behind the brake booster and down in to the corner of the engine bay before you cut it. The idea is to grab enough length that when routed in to the firewall of your EB you can connect it to your ign switch, brake pedal switch, and gauges for those of you running electric gauges.

bulkhead_zpse995ac10.jpg

I also noticed the earlier 5.0 Explorers have a relay box on the drivers side front fender behind the battery. This relay box would provide for a very nice and clean installation. If you can grab it, do it. Like anything else, the more length you can grab, the better.

relaybox1_zpsa8078043.jpg

All Explorers seem to have this relay box located on the passenger side frame rail, just below the air box. You would need to fab a bracket to mount it, but it could be used as well.

relaybox2_zps22d57014.jpg

I don't need either relay box. I can provide the needed relays and sockets, but I think the use of either one would make for a cleaner looking installation.

Some of you have asked what wiring will need to be finished to make this work. Here's a list:

Power to fuse block at all times. This can be ran from the starter solenoid to the fuse block. I usually set it up to be mounted on the passenger side firewall.

A couple of ground eyelets. These should be self explanatory.

Hot in run or start from ign switch.

Fuel pump lead. I usually run this in to the cab so that it can be connected to an inertia switch and mounted on the firewall or kick panel.

Brake pedal switch. 12v+ when brakes are applied.

Over drive switch. Only required for 4r70w users.

The following are completely optional, I can remove them from the harness, or label them so that you may use them.
Oil pressure, coolant temp, tach signal, and check engine light.

I have not been able to get the parts for R&D with the EVAP system. I can add the 3 needed pigtails to the underhood harness easily though. If any of you want to use it PM me for my number and I'd be glad to discuss the details over the phone.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'm very interested in the mass buy. I will need to get the obdll port and bulkhead connector. I will start scavaging the parts yard for theses parts. I would also like the 4r70w connection available while I currently use my c4. How many members do you have currently awaiting? I'm ready when everyone else is. Thanks Jason

I'm not sure how many definitely want in on the first round of the mass buy, but the amount of interest in it has been amazing!

I believe you would be number 3 or 4 as a definite. Unfortunately no one has given me a time line of how soon they will be ready. Most have said a couple weeks.

Any of you that want in for sure please post up with a given time line or PM me and I'll keep track. Once we have 5 committed, I'll get the ball rolling.