• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Bronco - Build In The Works

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll drop in the Coyote today and check clearance and see if there are any issues with the TDK frame.

I almost changed my mind and wanted to go with a 351 Windsor instead.......

Last edited:

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I'll drop in the Coyote today and check clearance and see if there are any issues with the TDK frame.

I almost changed my mind and wanted to go with a 351 Cleveland instead.......

Will be good to know. I last week ordered the TDK frame and had it made wider for the Coyote. Who's motor mounts are you using and how much body lift? Stock frame motor mounts?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im using the BC Motor mounts and probably a 2" Body Lift.

The Motor Frame Purches should be stock width. I need to measure because they seem a little wider.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I will put the Coyote back in line for another project. Other 77 maybe.

I installed the Coyote on the TDK frame yesterday. As you can see from previous pictures I have the Tall shock towers installed on the frame. I had to "shim" the Passenger side motor mounts to place the engine a hair higher and to the left to help the passenger side header to clear the shock tower. The Headers still only cleared by about 1/8". At this point the Power Steering pump was next to the Steering Box. It's too tight of a fit. If I had the Stock Height Shock Tower I do not think this would be an issue at all and the Coyote motor would just drop right in.

The BC serpentine system, Motor Mounts and the Angled Oil Filter Housing fit great. My only clearance issue is with the custom taller shock towers.

The TDK frame, is very nice, and should work great with a Coyote install with or without the extra width option.

I will go back to one of my initial options and put the Coyote in the 77 Frame..... Not a bad option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to getting some progress done on this Bronco. I should really re-start this Build thread because everything has changed.

Original 77 Frame and Original 77 Body from Arizona.

Here is what the Rolling Chassis looks like currently as of today.

Mocked up Duffs Dual Sport 4-Link at 93" Wheel Base. Nothing is welded or adjusted, it's just assembled with the Brackets Clamped in place. I did bolt on the Rear Coil Buckets at recommended height.(Even with the Bottom of the Frame) I did not trust a Clamp to hold these in place. I'll remove the bolt once welded.

Next is Swap out to Front Coil-overs when they arrive, install Drivetrain, Install Body with Roll Cage, get it to as close to full weight as I can, then adjust 4-link and final weld Brackets. Then take it all apart again and Powder Coat Frame. PITA, but I really want to do this one as 100% as I can.

Attachments

• 77 4-Link Mock-Up.jpg
    77 4-Link Mock-Up.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 77 4-Lonk Mock Up 2.jpg
    77 4-Lonk Mock Up 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 77 4-LInk Mock Up 3.jpg
    77 4-LInk Mock Up 3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 4-Link has been mocked up and welded.

Today we got the Coil-Over Conversion pretty much done.

King Coil-Overs with 300/300 Springs
12" Coil-Over Towers
Lower Dual Flat Mount with Round Pad

I was going to weld the lower mount to the Knuckle on the end of the axle but the mount would have been too wide. As it is now, the Coil-Over is angled out just a hair. The lower Mount / Pad are welded together and bolted on top of the Hellwig Sway Bar Bracket as the Original Coil Retainer would be. I had to use the Pad as a base for the Lower mount because the Sway Bar Bracket mounting prevented all to line up correctly. Seems to line up very well and is very strong too.

It's a little higher in the front as I wanted, (Pad does not help) but I am hoping the Body with Roll Cage, HD bumper and everything else the front will come down more.

Attachments

• coil-over Mock.jpeg
    coil-over Mock.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Coil-over Mock 2.jpg
    Coil-over Mock 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Coil-0ver Mock 3.jpeg
    Coil-0ver Mock 3.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We got the body Installed at the Shop this morning. The Suspension is actually a lot more level than I thought it was going to be, but it is higher than I want. There is a 1" Body Lift installed too.

Now I will see if the suspension will settle 2-3" once everything is installed. I currently have 300/300 springs installed. I'm anticipating going to a lighter Top Spring (200 or 250) in the Coil -Overs to lower the height some. The rear coils will come down easier since they are not as stiff.

285 / 75 / 17s installed on 17x9 Classic Locks.

Here is a picture of the fender flares being set-up. Not aligned yet but I think they will look good.

Making Progress.

Attachments

• 77 Body Mock-Up.jpg
    77 Body Mock-Up.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More work completed on the Bronco this morning.

The Rear Axle has been squared up and Plum under the Rear Coil Buckets. The Front Radius Arms are square as well. The Coil Overs are straight up and down now.

With the Axles now where they should be, the Fender Flares are aligned up and ready to cut metal.

The Rear did squat more with most of everything installed as you can see. The Front Suspension did come down about another 1 1/2" but needs to come down another 1" or so. I'll add the winch and see where it is then.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Body Mock Side.jpg
    77 Bronco Body Mock Side.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 77 Bronco - Body Mock Front.jpg
    77 Bronco - Body Mock Front.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 77 Bronco Body Mock Rear.jpg
    77 Bronco Body Mock Rear.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

thiswildbronco

Looks great!!!
Where is the roll cage from??
I also plan on a 4 point cage with arms forward to windshield.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Roll Cage is my design built right next door to the body Shop. The guy builds Cages for NHRA Cars. Beautiful work. DOM that ties into the Windshield Frame. He works for the county now, too bad he only builds for himself. This Cage is my last one.

thiswildbronco

Looks great. I'd love to see a detail shot of where they meet the windshield frame if you can swing it.

The Krawlers Edge cage is a bit ubiquitous and I don't love their corner joints. This cage of yours has nice lines to it!!!

The Roll Cage is my design built right next door to the body Shop. The guy builds Cages for NHRA Cars. Beautiful work. DOM that ties into the Windshield Frame. He works for the county now, too bad he only builds for himself. This Cage is my last one.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can just see the very front of the bar that goes to the Windshield. Bar is cut at an angle. Then bent plate welded to bar at (Same angle) and flat where it attaches to the top of Windshield at existing holes.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am in the process of reconfiguring the original 77 Dash.

These SpeedHut Gauges will go on each side of the steering column.

4 1/2" GPS Speedo with Tach, Turn Signals and High Beam.

4 1/2" Quad Gauge with Fuel Level, Temp, Oil Pressure and Volts.

The SpeedHut Gauges are completely customizable. Sizes, colors, and just about anything including logos.

The Optional Pointer color on these are White for Daylight but Glows Red for Night Driving.

Sorry they are sideways in the picture.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco Gauges.jpg
    77 Bronco Gauges.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Very nice.. Something unique you don't see all the time

Pic fixed

The SpeedHut Gauges are completely customizable. Sizes, colors, and just about anything including logos.

The Optional Pointer color on these are White for Daylight but Glows Red for Night Driving.

Attachments

• 77%20Bronco%20Gauges.jpg
    77%20Bronco%20Gauges.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am actually very impressed with these gauges. I can't wait to see what they look like with the completed dash.

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX

those are great looking, exactly the colors I would pick

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AX-15 Transmission.

Not going this route.

Attachments

• 77 Coyote AX-15.jpg
    77 Coyote AX-15.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gen-2 Mustang 5.0L Coyote

Not going this route. This motor will go in another vehicle.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco AX-15.jpg
    77 Bronco AX-15.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Coyote Header Clearance.jpg
    Coyote Header Clearance.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
  • coyote Serpentine Clearance.jpg
    coyote Serpentine Clearance.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Coyte Passenger Header.jpg
    Coyte Passenger Header.jpg