• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 to Dana 44 swap

Defreels

Loc.
Wartburg Tn
I just bought a couple of 69 Broncos, they are both basket cases. The one I am starting on first has a Dana 30 front but the housing is broke, in the pile of parts there is a new Dana 44 that is missing everything from the axels out. My question is will anything on that 30 fit the 44 like axels spindles or anything like that.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The only thing really worth keeping from a D30 is Disc Brakes if it's been swapped. Other than that....mostly scrap unless someone wants parts off it. Generally not though.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
You can buy everything from the vendors here or if you want to save some you can hit the wrecking yards and find most everything.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From a wrecking yard you'd have to find a Bronco D44 if you want the axle shafts. Otherwise anything else will have to be shortened.
But the knuckles and spindles and disc brake hardware from a '76 through '79 full-size is a straight bolt-on affair.
Either 76/77 Bronco, or the full size knuckles are going to require you to make some slight adjustments to your steering tie-rod, but it's pretty minor with the stuff available today.

When it comes right down to it, the original axle shafts in your D30 are probably the same as the Bronco axles that would have come in the 44 too. Or at least the correct splines. Otherwise they're the weaker cousin to the other stuff.
If you're going to use this rig at all, or put larger tires on it, you'd do well to spend the extra money for a new set of heavy duty axles.
I'm certainly a bit biased in that regard, but they are a nice and not too expensive upgrade for your axle.
However, if you're not planning to wheel it, or not planning to go with larger tires, there's no reason to spend the extra money either. The stock D30 axles might be just fine for that.

Someone else will have to confirm that they actually fit the 44. I'm only guessing and have not tried it. But the outer shafts are the same, the u-joints are the same, and I thought the inner spline count was the same. As are the lengths. So other than less beef, I'm thinking the smaller axles would still fit the 44 housing.

Paul

OP
OP
D

Defreels

Loc.
Wartburg Tn
I just bought a couple of 69 Broncos, they are both basket cases. The one I am starting on first has a Dana 30 front but the housing is broke, in the pile of parts there is a new Dana 44 that is missing everything from the axels out. My question is will anything on that 30 fit the 44 like axels spindles or anything like that.

I am located in middle Tennessee, I haven’t took it apart yet so don’t actually know what parts I need. Will the brake drums from the 30 fit the 44.

661buster1963

Does a 35” tire on a mostly street driven bronco need a Dana 44, is that s the 30 good enough?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I have a couple stock passenger side axles, but I'm up in Michigan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
located in middle Tennessee,

Check with Jack Williams, Fayetteville Body & Paint
Fayetteville TN
931-934-0803

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does a 35” tire on a mostly street driven bronco need a Dana 44, is that s the 30 good enough?

Yes to the 30. Lots of guys running 33's and still quite a few running 35's on happy 30's.
Now, that's pretty large tire of course. So street is ok, but I would not go bouncing around on any sand dunes or powering through any mud holes if I was doing that.
For that matter, those activities are hard on a 44 with 35's too!

Paul

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Will the brake drums from the 30 fit the 44.

Good question. I believe that they will fit basically since the backing plate where the spindle attaches is the same diameter and bolt pattern as the 44 drum brake spindle. But you might have to fiddle with the hard lines and where they mount to the knuckles, since the 30 uses king-pin bearings and the 44 uses ball-joints. So the mounting brackets might be a little different.

Maybe someone following your thread has done it, or at least tried it and can let us know for sure one way or the other.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The drums changed slightly during the '69 model year, but the shoes remained the same from '66 to '75, so that's a good indication at least that the backing plates are, if not exactly the same, at least mostly the same.

Paul

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I have a 69 with the D30. I pretty much treat it like a mule and it has not failed me yet. Thats the only reason I have not upgraded yet.

OP
OP
D

Defreels

Loc.
Wartburg Tn
I have a new built 351 Windsor that I want to put into a body that has a 6 cylinder in it. Will I have to do anything to the motor perches to get it to fit?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to help when we can.
Yes to the new towers. Here is a page with at least a few of the items you may need for a V8 conversion. Plus a few just for the 351 specifically.

Wild Horses I-6 to V8 Conversion Stuff

The new towers will need to be welded on.

Paul