• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 and exhaust

clc900

I have a 351 with long tube headers with a C4 and a D20. The exhaust is a true dual exhaust with no cross tubes. Comes right off the headers and follows the frame rail back.

I am swapping to a 4R70W and a NP205. What kind of exhaust do you guys with 205s use? Since the 205 sits so close to the drivers side frame rail, I have to rework my exhaust. Just looking for options and what others have done.

Thanks!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would just have an exhaust shop get it really close to the frame and transfer case if it is a trail truck. The NP205 wont ever get hot enough and make sure your brake, electrical and gas lines are routed on top.

Ranchtruck

There's barely space for the fuel and brake lines between the NP205 and the frame, there is no way exhaust will fit there. You can drop the exhaust pipe down and go under the transfer case, but that cuts into your clearance significantly. Running both pipes down the passenger side is the only way to get past the transfer case without running lower than the frame.

OP
OP
C

clc900

I have long tube headers so I'm assuming new headers are needed? I like 2 into 1 down the passenger frame rail but I don't see how with the long tube headers. Anyone do it successfully?

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
You can stay with true duals, I did that way but it took some
Figuring.... Running 351w, long tube, 2.5" duals. full width d44, 5spd and 205...

I had to cut the driver side collecter off and tossed it out, flared the pipe and put in a 45 or so bend to clear diff, ran it right to the radius drop bracket, under the frame and to just around the 205, then back to inside the frame....

It can be done:) it's just a bit difficult lol

1966,351w,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 37/13/15 boggers

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I had the same dilemma, when I put in my 4R70W and NP205. I had long tube headers and true duals. I bit the bullet and went to 2 into 1. I also ditched the headers for stock manifolds. It made no noticable difference in power and made things a lot simpler in several ways.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I have 2 into 1 exhaust with the NP205. Plenty of room on the pass side to get it way up in there. I have a dual outlet muffler with dual pipes just because I like the symmetry. as long as you don't have any long sections of large pipe before it goes into the muffler it won't drone too bad. keep them separate as long as you can and it sounds great.

bsquared

Contributor
You can stay with true duals, I did that way but it took some
Figuring.... Running 351w, long tube, 2.5" duals. full width d44, 5spd and 205...

I had to cut the driver side collecter off and tossed it out, flared the pipe and put in a 45 or so bend to clear diff, ran it right to the radius drop bracket, under the frame and to just around the 205, then back to inside the frame....

It can be done:) it's just a bit difficult lol

I did the same as ahansen....it can be done and was the best option to keep the long tubes, which I didn't want to ditch. I looked at the 2 into 1 option, but the move from driver side to passenger took the exhaust as low as going under the frame and around the NP205.

Starting with a James Duff duals set up that had been configured for an inline 6, I ordered some extra 90's and 45's to rework it. Had to swing the exhaust flat ass under the DS frame and then back up to the muffler.

Once that was done, it was clear I needed a skid plate to protect it under the frame. My setup is different than most, as I already had a 4"x4" angle plate on the pass side, protecting the fuel pump. Added the same to the DS to protect my air tank and made a skid plate across them. It's not pretty, but I think it will stand up if dropped on. (mine is mostly a street driver)

PM me if you'd like more info on this setup. At Mandrel Bends, you can order each piece with one end flared for slip joint welding, or you can have a shop do it, if they can "weld outside of the box". www.mandrel-bends.com

Here's a couple of pics:

Attachments

• NakedExhaust.JPG
    NakedExhaust.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 129
  • NP205PlateDriver.JPG
    NP205PlateDriver.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 113
  • NP205PlatePass2.JPG
    NP205PlatePass2.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 109
  • NP205SkidPlate.jpg