• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rears are locking up, new prop valve?

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Just rebuilt the rear drum brakes. I've got a 76 with stock discs in front and drums in rear with stock prop valve. I bled all 4 after the brake change. The rears just lock up way easier than I'd like... Any ideas on what my next step should be?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Just rebuilt the rear drum brakes. I've got a 76 with stock discs in front and drums in rear with stock prop valve. I bled all 4 after the brake change. The rears just lock up way easier than I'd like... Any ideas on what my next step should be?

Mine did the same thing after a rebuild. I loosened up the rears just a bit, drove it for awhile, and it sorted itself out.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I'll give that a shot. It was doing it before the rebuild too. I've heard the 76/77 we're known for this. I might have to look into something aftermarket.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You might also check the hoses going to the front discs. Old lines get spongy, and sometimes they swell and clog. I just changed the ones on my 77 and it made a big difference.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guessing that your issue with the rear locking up is that you do not have all of the air out of the front. There is a bleeder valve pin located on the front of the proportioning valve that must be pulled when you bleed the brakes. Pulling it allows fluid to flow to the calipers.

The links below go to a thread that I posted pages from the 1976 Ford service manual.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=420122&d=1494278040

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=420123&d=1494278040

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Did you replace wheel cylinders in the rear? If they're old or you got a bad new one leaking it will make the drums sticky. Most likely one of the above bur I've had that on another vehicle.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guessing that your issue with the rear locking up is that you do not have all of the air out of the front. There is a bleeder valve pin located on the front of the proportioning valve that must be pulled when you bleed the brakes. Pulling it allows fluid to flow to the calipers.

So what about the new style combo valves that don't have a bleeder valve pin? They just have a rod that
sits flush to the body, usually covered with a rubber boot. I recently bled new calipers with a new style valve,
and they actually gravity bled themselves. I did use a lockout tool.

Attachments

• combo valve.jpg
    combo valve.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 20
  • combo valve2.jpg
    combo valve2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
  • combo valve Tool.jpg
    combo valve Tool.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 14

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That lockout tool is a great item to help keep the shuttle valve and dash light working properly. Which was always a pain with the old H-block and original prop valves (though not as big an issue with the prop valve).

That rod under the boot is the same pin with the same basic function as the original.
Some you need to push, but I thought all the aftermarket ones I've seen needed to be pulled.
The way to tell unfortunately usually requires a helper. Have someone push hard on the brake pedal while you watch that pin. If it pushes out with the brakes applied, grab it with something gently to keep it pulled. You could still use some needle-nose locking pliers, but it looks like there is still a groove you could slide a clip over to hold it in place. Maybe that would work too.
I wonder if anyone still sells the special clippy-doodle-thingy that they used to use just for that?

Anyway, many people have been able to get their bleeding done without holding out on the valve, but I would think it's still a best practice to hold that valve in the open position anyway.
The difference is likely how far open you hold the bleeder valve at the wheels, and how hard the helper pushes on the pedal. Fluid is going to pass the delay valve under pressure, but if the bleeding pressure is very light, there might not be much force at the wheel.

I like the concept of the delay valve, but still prefer to update a system to a manually adjustable valve in the rear system only. It's just simpler, and can be fine-tuned better for today's Broncos that are very likely balanced completely differently from when new.

Paul