• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Sniper - Starting issues

bannind

Newly installed Holly Sniper on a 289 utilizing MSD box for timing control.

When I crank over the engine - the Sniper unit acts like it is rebooting and then starts. I am guessing that the pink sniper wire (on with both crank and run) is momentarily cutting the power. It will start up, but it just seems off.

The pink wire is connected to the green with red stripe wire that is heading to the voltage regulator (I think).

Suggestions on where to connect the on in crank/run wire?

thanks,
dan

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not familiar with the Holley Sniper but if you need hot in both "start and run" the GRN/RD is only hot in "run". I would guess this unit is similar to the FI-tech and needs 12v in both start and run, if this is the case then you can use the + coil wire, the RD/GRN resistor wire, to power a relay for the pink wire or come off the back of the IGN switch.

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

Can I use the Coil + location with an MSD box? The Sniper install directions have the 'don't use a dirty power source of the coil' and I also am concerned about getting interference from the MSD box.

thanks,
dan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure that's a no-can-do for at least two reasons.
One, it's that "dirty" signal that they're talking about. Second, and most important, it's not constant power anymore either. It's a pulsed 300v input signal.
So no, you can't use the coil positive for your EFI signal.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can use the old Red w/green coil wire, but only if your EFI computer can handle voltage of less than 12v, and possibly fluctuating, for extended periods.

On many EB ignition switches, the Green w/red actually us supposed to have power in both RUN and START. Not all, but many actually splice the two wires together at the back of the switch.
So if yours is not seeing a signal at START, which is exactly what it sounds like, make sure first that the Green w/red wire is indeed what you tied into. If it is not, then try it.
If it is already, then see if you can tie into the Red w/green wire near the back of the ignition switch, rather than under the hood.

If not, you can also figure out a way to tie into the Brown "I" wire on the starter relay. Along with the Green w/red you should then have a signal any time the key is on or in start.

Paul
Paul

OP
OP
bannind

bannind

well - I ended up using a relay that is triggered by either the I pole on the starter relay or the green/red from the ignition switch. No reset during start.

Now to let it learn.