• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Low pinion D44 axle from a 73-77 f250 questions?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Howdy everyone! I spotted a 73-77 4x4 f 250 truck at my local scrap yard the other day. It has a low pinion D44 up front. I was thinking about getting the knuckles and spindles for a disc brake swap if they are usable.
I was hoping someone could tell me before I tear into it if these parts are the same on the f250 as the f150.
Thanks in advance!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Those really don't interchange.

On the other hand; if you want to build a bulletproof low pinion D44 the tubes on those F250's are 3 inch diameter and 1/2 inch wall thickness.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Wont work if you want to stay 5 lug. 3/4ton D44s brakes are bigger but brackets and posibbly the knuckles themselves wont clear 5 lug rotors plus the brackets are made for larger rotors so unless you get some custom 5 lug rotors theres really just no way to do it with those parts. There are better options for swapping.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the info guys. I was not able to get close enough to the truck to see what everything looked like. I will keep looking for a 1/2 ton to land at the yard.
Thanks for the replies , I appreciate it!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
78/79 4wd F150 truck or Bronco has the disk brake parts you need.

76-79 F150
78-79 Bronco

Both have the HP D44 with disc brakes, noting that the radius arm wedges are welded to the tube on the 76-77 and integrally cast into the outer tube on the 78-79 models.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you happen to find an F150 Super Cab from '78-'79 (with leaf springs on front) grab those knuckles in preference over any others.
Super Cab knuckles in back:

Attachments

• Dana 44 Super Cab difference P.jpg
    Dana 44 Super Cab difference P.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the pic. I was aware of those but had not seen a pic of them. I have only seen one of those trucks in my area and the guy is still driving it.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I did know all of the hp d 44 f 150 and Bronco stuff worked. I was not familiar with the low pinion 44 in the f 250. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the pic. I was aware of those but had not seen a pic of them. I have only seen one of those trucks in my area and the guy is still driving it.

The Duff knuckles are copied from those, I think the material they make them with may be better.

BCB sells the Duff knuckles.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I will look them up.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Just did the 78 f 150 knuckle swap. Easy peasy. Have to upgrade the steering to one ton stuff now.