• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rarest Bronco?

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
how about the wildflower EB ? / the 76 ? / one of the few right hand drive ? / any and all of duffs ponies ?

To me, the only one of the Duff trucks that would be "rare" would the their chopped truck. That was one of, if not the first, chopped Bronco. I've been hearing about that truck since the 70's. :eek:

Their others are just custom'd up trucks we all do, albeit well done.

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
There are ton's of "one off's" built by different company's back in the day. When I think of "rare" I think of a vehicle built by the manufacture or in affiliation with the manufacture. Such as Stroppe Bronco's or Shelby Mustangs.

My69Pony

I'll put this one out there. Still up in the air on the exact information of it's beginnings, but likely one of ? pre-production Broncos before being turned racer.
Brian

Attachments

• 001 Sand Racing Bronco at Riverside 1968.jpg
    001 Sand Racing Bronco at Riverside 1968.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 002 Bronco Towed by Country Squire Wagon.jpg
    002 Bronco Towed by Country Squire Wagon.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 003 Bronco Towed by Blue Bronco.jpg
    003 Bronco Towed by Blue Bronco.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 095 Knotts Berry Farm 2011.jpg
    095 Knotts Berry Farm 2011.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 251

House

Minutia Militia
That left picture is one of my old favorites. The bulldog stance, pure vintage, black sport
next to it, black plate, Ken Roggy plate frames, you name it.
I really like the Bronco towing it too, thanks for sharing...

Broncitis

MEB Founder
As someone who enjoys the collectible side of the Broncos as well, I see ones that had uncommon factory options or low production numbers to be ones that I'd consider "rare" as far as collectability due to their inherent uniqueness from FoMoCo. A Sport U14 and a Stroppe Baja fall into this category to me. However, even though the U14 Sport likely had much fewer made, the Baja will still be worth more, so rare does not always translate to collectible or valuable.

Then there is also "rare" as a result of attrition from what else has been scrapped or altered or from something that makes a particular Bronco standout such as a very nicely preserved and/or super low mile survivor like the red Special Decor pictured previously that Chad owned.

Pretty much all else for me falls into modified and maybe cool as a result of the mods or how it was used since in many/most cases they are one off customs (or very near that) which by definition makes them each as rare as the other (reminds me of the parent telling the child “Timmy, you are unique, just like everyone else!” ).

For instance, a Bill Stroppe prepped racer would be more desirable or valued higher by most collectors due to the Bill Stoppe and Ford Factory connection than another Bronco used in the same race by some privateer who know one recognizes their name.

If the Bronco actually won one or more races as Andrew and Todd's has then that makes it even cooler and more collectible since it adds greatly to the provenance.

Then there is one like Big Oly which is just legendary because it was so cutting edge, built and co-piloted by Stroppe, and driven by Parnelli Jones who many of us would argue is the most well rounded and best racer ever to get behind a steering wheel.

IMO, in the case of the racers and others that would fit into the historic type classification; the more period correct / original it is and the more documented history and the better the story, the more provenance it has and the more collectible it is, but one is not necessarily more rare than another since each one is usually a one off.

I’m sort of on the fence on where to place some of the dealer package Broncos like the Denver and the Gold Rush. They are cool, but not very well documented that I am aware of which hurts them. They are also regional dealer items and not actual FoMoCo options, so that makes them less collectible than the Baja IMO. Now if they were truly highly modified dealer customs like the Yenkos that came out of the Yenko Chevrolet dealership where I grew up, then that is different as well, but those really are just paint and decals for the most part to increase sales.

The Miltary Broncos are rare (by number produced I assume as well as by those that remain), and are certainly cool in their own role in Bronco and American history, but I have not seen many scrambling to snag them up nor have can I recall any selling for significant money and I do recall seeing a few go for what I thought was really cheap which surprised me at the time.
Then there are the Fire / Police Department, Public Utility, Park Ranger, pop up and stand up camper type working and recreation Broncos. Many of these are just super cool IMO and cool sells and costs, so some of them often bring a pretty penny.

As for the Balloon Chaser Ambulance, I like to think it is pretty rare and historic in its own way since it will hopefully be mine one day! ;D

My dad's 66 U13 is what some would consider rare for various reasons. Some by is nature (very early production, U13, truly rust free under 10K mile survivor when we found it) and some by things we have done (now restored to near showroom condition, first ever AACA Jr, Sr and Grand National awarded Early Bronco, "40th Anniversary" Bronco with die cast replica of it used to promote the 40th events, displayed over the winter of 06-07 in the lobby of FoMoCo World Headquarters, autographs on the "40th Anniversary hood" by 13 notable Bronco racers / Ford decendents /execs, etc.). Added all up, it makes for a nice provenance. How much it adds to the actual value, who knows? I wonder sometimes, but that is not why we did any of it. We just did it because it was fun and was a way to document and remember some good times my mom and dad and I have had with it over the years. :)

Last edited:

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
There are ton's of "one off's" built by different company's back in the day. When I think of "rare" I think of a vehicle built by the manufacture or in affiliation with the manufacture. Such as Stroppe Bronco's or Shelby Mustangs.

I agree.

I saw what I think to be a rare one a couple years back and I swear I will own it one day.

77 sport!
Black on black.
Shelby 302 engine and badging added by ford dealer prior to delivery. Signed by Carroll Shelby.

Relatively low miles (60k +\-), never wrecked, no rust.

I will post pics when I get back to my home computer.

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I'll put this one out there. Still up in the air on the exact information of it's beginnings, but likely one of ? pre-production Broncos before being turned racer.
Brian

I have an old 8mm film with that Bronco in it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder how many '77's there were with manual trans, manual brakes, manual steering, no radio (if that was still an option by then?) and any other of the previously optional stuff left off the list? And maybe with 4.11 gears and limited slips.

By the time '77 model year rolled around, the dealers around here only had fully outfitted Rangers on the lots. Nice, but made me wonder how may might still have been special ordered with few to none of the usual options.

I have a buddy who has a U13 built in 1965, this to me is rare.

Probably even rarer nowadays, as many of them were rode hard and put away wet (and rusty) as utility vehicles by the end of their lives.
But in fact the model year production started in about May or so anyway, didn't it? So I would think that there were quite a few "65" Broncos out there. Other than the first year being not the biggest selling year notwithstanding, there were quite a few months of production in the year.
I wonder though. Anyone have the number produced before Jan '66?

Good discussion.

Paul

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder how many '77's there were with manual trans, manual brakes, manual steering, no radio (if that was still an option by then?) and any other of the previously optional stuff left off the list? And maybe with 4.11 gears and limited slips.

By the time '77 model year rolled around, the dealers around here only had fully outfitted Rangers on the lots. Nice, but made me wonder how may might still have been special ordered with few to none of the usual options.

Probably even rarer nowadays, as many of them were rode hard and put away wet (and rusty) as utility vehicles by the end of their lives.
But in fact the model year production started in about May or so anyway, didn't it? So I would think that there were quite a few "65" Broncos out there. Other than the first year being not the biggest selling year notwithstanding, there were quite a few months of production in the year.

Good discussion.

Paul

Paul, the '66 roadster bronco build dates started August 1965. Definitely the majority of the first year broncos were produced in the first three months, those being August, September and October. Seems after that, the production months mellowed out until the introduction of the V8 broncos in March of 1966. Again a heavy production period and then flaked out until the start of the model year '67s.

In terms of numbers, can only make assumptions as the records for the '66 broncos were destroyed. You or I could look at the U13 registry, search by the month and do the math with the numbers available. Total roadsters for '66 were 4,090. This could give you a fair estimate based on the collected info. If I get some time, will try that. And yes I would post the assumed results. tim

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC

Good discussion.

Paul

While my '77 was pretty bone stock, no rear seat, no radio, wasn't a sport model, it still had power steering, brakes and all the rest of the '77 goodies.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have a friend who has two 77s that came without PS, PB, or auto. By 77 the dash pad and passenger seat were optional.