• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine bolt torque

johnny_nv

Loc.
Toronto, Canada
Hey everybody! Finished the resto on the bronco body! But mow it seems many of my engine and tranny seals are leaking. I heard there is a 50 year warranty on them and it’s only been 49. Just kidding. I was wondering if anyone knows the torque requirements for fastening certain items.
I have a 1968 289
What torque is needed to tighten:

1- crankshaft bearing cover
2 - oil pan
3 - water pump
4 - timing chain cover

Thanks in advance everyone for your help! Happy motoring.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Tightening the bolts won't affect the leaking seals, but the torques didn't change much (if any) over the years. Most are in this caption:

Is it coolant or oil leaking from the timing cover? Did you resurface it?

OP
OP
J

johnny_nv

Loc.
Toronto, Canada
the water channels in the timing cover eroded enough to be like a hair of aluminum left. I found a replacement cover and machined the face front and back. I had oil leaking up through the timing chain cover and would pool right underneath the distributor.
I'm doing all the seals and gaskets at the moment and the timing chain and gears too. The upper main seal is gonna be the toughie without dropping the engine. But seems like it can be done!
Thanks guys!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Buy yourself a Haines bronco manual or factory stuff if you want to go down the rabbit hole.