• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing Complete Platform

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

I think my plan is to try and cut the door post in half, leave the lower portion in place cut the top portion out and place new half post in, with new kick plate cut into the same geographical area, spot weld it. Then remove the lower portion and and cut in the lower kick panel and spot weld in the lower portion of the new piece. I think this will insure proper fit. I will do the passenger side first due to the ample space I have to work in. This is my first rodeo so I am taking my time. I will post pics. I am very luck this Bronco has very little rust, most of the damage is from PO wrecks with poor workmanship done along the way. I have a new platform so once the kick are done I should be able to slide in the new platform......

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpg
    IMG_8844.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8842.jpg
    IMG_8842.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 37

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I replaced the bottom 1/3 portion of the dr side door post, not even that much, maybe the bottom 4inches approx. I didn't want to replace the whole post when only the bottom was bad, that way I kept the original integrity of the door post, worked out great. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37

phyler

Loc.
Denver area
I think my plan is to try and cut the door post in half, leave the lower portion in place cut the top portion out and place new half post in, with new kick plate cut into the same geographical area, spot weld it. Then remove the lower portion and and cut in the lower kick panel and spot weld in the lower portion of the new piece. I think this will insure proper fit. I will do the passenger side first due to the ample space I have to work in. This is my first rodeo so I am taking my time. I will post pics. I am very luck this Bronco has very little rust, most of the damage is from PO wrecks with poor workmanship done along the way. I have a new platform so once the kick are done I should be able to slide in the new platform......
If you are ultimately replacing the entire door post, I think cutting it in two is making way more effort than just replacing the post. If you have good measurements, it's not hard. If you don't, it just takes a bit longer. I found when I did mine that taking out the kick panel and the post at the same time made short work. Then I screwed the kick panel, then screwed the door post to the kick panel. Then I hung the door to check my fit. Lather, rinse, repeat till done. I think I had to retry three or four times per side to get it right. The measurements get you really close.

Felt like it was way easier than trying to graft the posts together. If I didn't need to do the kick panel and only part of the post, I could see trying patch.

I'll grab the link to my build when I get to a computer so you can see mine if you want.

When you are a noob like me, the faster you go, the more it costs. :)

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

My plan is to try and just cut the lower portion out, the PO has already tried repairing the back of the pillar, I think at best I could cut it off an inch or so below the bolt retainer?? If I can make a clean cut I think this would be Ideal, second is to replace the whole thing. I have all new metal so why not try, right? I am going to give it a go, I am doing one side at a time, so lesson learned for the drivers side.. Right? All I know is this is one hell of an addiction!!

Thank you to the Classic Bronco community for all you support!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 41

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My plan is to try and just cut the lower portion out, the PO has already tried repairing the back of the pillar, I think at best I could cut it off an inch or so below the bolt retainer?? If I can make a clean cut I think this would be Ideal, second is to replace the whole thing. I have all new metal so why not try, right? I am going to give it a go, I am doing one side at a time, so lesson learned for the drivers side.. Right? All I know is this is one hell of an addiction!!

Thank you to the Classic Bronco community for all you support!

I would def cut it below where the hinge bolts to the pillar

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

No go on just replacing part of the pillar, internally there was just too much rust. Taking the high road and replacing everything. Car has been wrecked at some point in its life so putting in new metal is the right way to go for me. My plan it the machine screw and a few tack welds in, then put in the platform and machine screw and a few spot welds. Then put the doors back on and do the final welds. Very slow going right now.

Attachments

• IMG_9106.jpg
    IMG_9106.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 42

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
If you are using an iPhone I suggest editing each picture to “square”. If you keep it at 16:9 it’s going to post on here sideways.

Keep up the great work!

Attachments

• 6E1775AE-994F-402E-ABFF-3C39215ABA4D.jpg
    6E1775AE-994F-402E-ABFF-3C39215ABA4D.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 34

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Don't tack your door post until you absolutely have them where you need them! You will hang your doors a few times in this process. I would even recommend getting your floor pan back in before you do this

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Still cutting away at the floors. I am going to try set the new platform in and test fit it. I have all new metal kicks and inner fenders along with sacrificial door pillars. The rust is mostly confined below the lower hinge plate.

I've been right where you are now. Very doable. Just take your time, measure and measure again, before final welding. Check door fitment, etc.

Here are some of my old notes.
Floor_measurements.jpg

Dash_Tub_measurements.JPG

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

I can’t tell you how perfect the platform worked!! Perfectly perfect

Attachments

• 32CE49A2-89DF-4084-8096-B69631A0AB85.jpg
    32CE49A2-89DF-4084-8096-B69631A0AB85.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 735094D7-2447-4E65-B978-6C7A42CE6DC0.jpg
    735094D7-2447-4E65-B978-6C7A42CE6DC0.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 39

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That is a real nice looking piece! That should be a good starting point to finish the rest of your truck. Good luck, Ken

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
ha, It does look like it but I'm guessing its blood

You win, it was blood. I tell everyone that blood, sweat and tears went into the Bronco.
I still have a faint circle scar on my thumb print. It got punctured. Can't remember exactly how, but remember it hurt.