• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear Pattern Issue

thirdtime

Contributor
Question for you gear gurus. I have set up several 9 inch's and always been able to get a pattern that was acceptable per all the diagrams. This current one is messing with me a little. Info: New bearings, Yukon Grizzly and Yolk and used factory 4:11 gears in excellent shape, used the factory pinion shim for the case. Found a pattern on sierra gear that they say is acceptable but it concerns me because I'm just not that experienced in this. The drive side is higher on the heel while the coast side is low on the toe. Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. Experienced input would be appreciated. Apologies in advance, I'm running out of marking paint, have more on the way. Hopefully you can get the look. If I increase the backlash it looks similar to the second row middle picture. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7872.jpg
    IMG_7872.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7871.jpg
    IMG_7871.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Acceptable Patterns.gif
    Acceptable Patterns.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 64

cali_zuk

Used gears will rarely show a good pattern on the drive side. When I set them up I usually go off the coast side. It's important to set them up at the same pinion depth and backlash as they were originally setup at. Having said that, from what I can see, assuming back lash is good, I'd run it.

OP
OP
thirdtime

thirdtime

Contributor
Backlash was .012 so that was within the range. I'll get another picture tonight after work. I've also added and decreased .005 to the pinion depth and all that appeared to do was drive the pattern deeper or shallower on the tooth. It's the second picture that's bothering me, just haven't had one pattern like this before.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Used gears are a crapshoot to get the pattern correct

Good advise here-

These gears have wear on them and there is no way that the pattern is going to look like what you think it should. Most of the time with used gears I try to get the coast side to look good and don't worry about the drive side. This is because the drive side has much more wear on it than the coast side and you are more likely to get a good looking pattern on the coast side.

OP
OP
thirdtime

thirdtime

Contributor
Thanks for all the input, it kinda helped me make my decision. I was trying out the used 4.11 set because I had them on the shelf but after reading up on used gear set up based on your comments I see it can be challenging and I think I will take the chance and buy the 4.56's. I was trying to avoid going to deep on the gear for this truck but can use the chunk on my 71 if I don't like them. The 77 is running a nicely warmed up 302 mustang roller motor, C4 and 35's and runs decent with the current 3.50 set, but I think gears would really wake it up. I reset everything tonight and am still not happy with the pattern so I think I will just take the chance on new 4.56's. Thanks again for the input.

Eric