• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vinyl headliner with no seams or screws

KeithKinPhx

Going to be redoing my interior myself. Was looking at non-stock headliner pictures online. Noticed several of the 200k restoration folks have managed to put headliners inside the Bronco roof without a seam at the drivers head and without screws showing through either. Clearly they are not just slapping some vinyl on the old foam core headliner.

Anyone know how this was accomplished?
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have never seen a no screw headliner install. I went with the broncohut headliner, it's molded fiberglass, that I covered in felt, I will also insulate behind it.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
You can do headliners like mustangs from the 60's and 70's. they made cloth ones that had wire supports going from side to side. Very classy lookin but it woukd 100% custom and tou would need a good upholstry shop to pull it off. If i was using a hardtop this would be how i would go

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Duffy did you put felt on before mounting headliner to the roof? Do you have pictures? Was thinking of going BroncoHut as well.

Was thinking maybe put insulation in, then headliner but no chrome trim. Countersink the screws for the ribs and lay vinyl over that. Would have to be off the truck and upside down to accomplish. Add a clip-in trim around the sides (like modern door panels) to hide the screws above the side windows.

I want a custom modern look and chrome screws aren't readily visible in today's vehicles.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Duffy did you put felt on before mounting headliner to the roof? Do you have pictures? Was thinking of going BroncoHut as well.

Was thinking maybe put insulation in, then headliner but no chrome trim. Countersink the screws for the ribs and lay vinyl over that. Would have to be off the truck and upside down to accomplish. Add a clip-in trim around the sides (like modern door panels) to hide the screws above the side windows.

I want a custom modern look and chrome screws aren't readily visible in today's vehicles.

I haven't fully installed it, I did test fit and drill and tap every single hole. So it should just go up and screw in. It's wrapped now, just waiting to be installed.

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

AZ73 you are fantastic. I've been looking all over for a tutorial just like you linked (pro version of course). Guess Google can't find everything. Too busy trying to sell me headliners to be of much help. I am so excited.

Now to contemplate how to transition from the Bronco Hut fiberglass sides to the newly built custom headliner. Guess I should get the engine, tranny, Vintage AC and Lizardskin installed before I start working on the headliner. Damn details.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. I've been researching since it's getting close to time to think about it. The Pro way says larger roofs need more work. I'm still researching so if I find more out more, I'll post. Trying to emulate Nick's Trix, but I think I might have to pay to have this done. It might be beyond me to make it look good.

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Agree with emulating Nicks. Biggest obstacle is the commercial sewing rig to pierce the plastic and vinyl at the same time. For me it's truly a once in a lifetime event replacing the headliner. The truck and I are both 50 and the headliner was the factory one. Pretty sure I won't be here when it needs to be replaced again in 50 years.