• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trac bar riser

jtribble70

Looking for opinions on best trac bar riser. Which venders fit and function best in your opinion? Purchased one from a popular vender and the fit wasn't good at all. They didn't have any in stock that fit any better. Time to find another option.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What AZ said. Are you making other modifications that require a riser instead of a drop? Such as tie-rod over swap? Or using it under extreme conditions with larger tires?
If not, then a riser, although obviously the stronger option, is not really the best for street steering geometry with an otherwise stock T-style steering setup from a '66-'75 EB.

Maybe you've already done all that pre-work and know you need the beef of a riser. But curious to know more about the rig. What year is yours? And what use will it be put to?

And most important, were you able to return the unit for a refund? And out of curiosity, was it one of ours (Wild Horses) and just how did it not fit?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
J

jtribble70

Running a tie rod over steering set up, and my frame has been previously powder coated. They are going to let me return it, I am waiting for a return authorization now. I don't want to give out there name because they did make a great effort to make it right and I have purchased from them before with excellent results, but unfortunately it seemed the rest of there stock was plagued with the same issues. When the wing portion of the riser was clamped flat to the tube there was an 1/8" gap all the way around the factory track bar mount where it was to welded. Not one of yours Paul. It is a 73 sport with 3.5 inch lift. I did look at your riser and didn't think a would need one with the adjustable option. But feel free to sell me on it!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha! Yeah, well the multiple choice holes can be a benefit when you're mucking about and changing things. Such as with a non-stock steering box. Or even the TRO setup maybe?;)
And since the early and late frames had different trackbar upper mounts, having choices is good there too.

But with your 73 as long as you can match the angle of the trackbar to the angle of the draglink, you're good to go. But the multiple hole choices does make that easier sometimes. I know we recommend a specific hole for a specific Bronco, but so many variables means that our customers often have to go off the instructions a bit and roll their own, so to speak.

Good luck with yours. You going to run a stock pitman arm or something else? Stock box, or something else? Sounds like a good build. Is there a picture thread where we can check your progress yet?

Oh, and to keep things honest, we've had trouble with gaps before too. I think we had a batch that had too big a gap on the axle tube when you lined it up on the bracket. The opposite of your issue. The part was still easy enough to install. You just had to put a good clamp to it, start your weld near the mount to help "pull" it inward to the axle tube, and put a mega weld bead to close the remaining gap!:cool:

Paul

OP
OP
J

jtribble70

I will keep your riser in mind. You have got a few of my pay checks already this year! As far as a build thread.....we will see.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went with the WH riser and ran it on the bottom hole until I went TRO. Then I moved it up to the top hole to make room for the ram-assist that's been on the shelf for about a year... Like Paul said, they have room to grow. I don't remember any fitment issues but everything seems to take a little effort. 1/8" of a gap seems pretty close to me.

wOQpsMlyycH0D4W3GTkjivbstHy5BzxtLlJoh7U6rlIQcDAV6DZvPp-2HduEnXMAF7RYyp1joncrMXBwcliY8uCpq0F9cjkFZQ3EwCyw3j8OkDV0tEKPuEXsFesTegVklIvEwqLv8QU3WU3tvMJabduOTVWARqXmSUfBy3IFBJFOqkdhyV8c_SV2nqUIJtdTHgYC29YDmCKjXT1S2ydyMq-dF3vASRRn9jUixRs04EQV-hg7QlTaqgqYO61_0SnYt2mvmx1VcVEhgn257OZRC93MBW06qtK_pNGe1VMpVM5T3pvMTMmHiYLIjoEtLo4kOk7_zme8QdQx-qMaIpDeqYZz7Mp33swJrj2ZdWfCzBjXM-7cmFws0EwwkYMYrxH8XbWcianv-YFA41FIjDPl9Yv_beHRfHlcalvjmPRpD0Dz76_qmNmfdfXm1n1K3Wo0SfZx6bEkLka2SEqH0bn6lQRjb4_mAST7YchlPcqG8L6lPyUTAdO26fTr_ToW_gFtJDAPllrvosI6HEVSRzTj1Pj3Re2xW2AtE6VzyodDksPlwSO-S6hy5wN3Xc8yjtD_qa7yopUuTsMsTR5lmiJ4kgztVuEKWQ42nR3mqEb8wJ0=w1768-h994-no

I will say you should probably cycle your suspension without springs to make sure your track bar won't get into your oil pan if only going with a riser. I had to extend my bump stops from the above pic when I raised it to the top hole. A drop bracket (that's been on the shelf for a year and a half now) should get the track bar out of the oil pan and let me get a little more travel. In the bottom hole I was good and I got the front end off the ground about three feet.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wanted to jump back in and I see Craig has hit on it already.
As much as I'd love to say "buy ours because it's cool!" or something sales-savvy like that, there are even kits to build your own if it works out better.

And by better, I mean that I would not even finish weld any riser on until near the end of the front end design. Because you are totally customizing your setup, some off-the-shelf parts are just not going to fit into your scheme of things. Even a single location riser might do the job, if that hole is in just the perfect spot.
But if not, you're going to be cursing up one side and down the other if you can't make things parallel with what you went to great lengths to weld on like it was part of the Titanic.
Hmm, well more like an Abrams. The Titanic might not be a good example...:-[

But you get the point. Set it up, mock it up, but don't weld it up until you've got your full steering linkage on the rig and you've cycled things through like was suggested.
For such a "basic and simple" design, there are far more things to run afoul of than you might think.

Good luck!

Paul