• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1' Body Lift

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Did a few searches but did not find my answers. Frame off resto. I'm getting ready to put the body back on the frames, for paint. Have upgraded to power brakes, power steering and adding a Fitech. Considering a 1" body lift for aesthetics, but also for the possibility of using a HEI distributor. What other mods will I need if I go with a 1" body lift?

Thanks
Will

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Did a few searches but did not find my answers. Frame off resto. I'm getting ready to put the body back on the frames, for paint. Have upgraded to power brakes, power steering and adding a Fitech. Considering a 1" body lift for aesthetics, but also for the possibility of using a HEI distributor. What other mods will I need if I go with a 1" body lift?

Thanks
Will

Depending on suspension lift with the body lift... you might need to:

Have longer brake hoses front and back
Longer emergency/parking cables
D20 shifter may have to have modifications, as it with be lower
The 3 holes in steering column support bracket may have to have to be slotted to adjust it down.
May have to change steering shaft if it is the solid piece one, to prevent binding
May have to lower the shroud for fan clearance.
Maybe extend wires, if stock harness.

Just off the top of my head...

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Stock suspension all new. New power steering with telescoping shaft. Have a new centech wiring harness to install. Three on tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
Mine is three on the tree. 1" body lift. 2.5" suspension lift. I did have the Toms Bronco parts steering shaft that came with the power steering kit. Factory emergency brake cables worked fine. Think all the brake cables and metal brake lines worked fine, except I might have gone with a longer rear brake cable from diff house to chassis. Centech harness worked with no modifications. Don't remember having any issue with the fan shroud.

Cage_12.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
With only a 1 inch you may be OK doing nothing else. You may need to adjust your 3 on the tree linkage and do check your fan shroud clearance. When I added my 1 inch I only needed to adjust my C4 linkage. The fan shroud still had plenty of clearance. For sure check all the things that have been mentioned already, but there is usually enough slack in these to handle 1 inch.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
JAFO,

Thanks. Yours is the look I'm going for (just light blue). What cage is that? Toms?

Thanks
Will

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
JAFO,

Thanks. Yours is the look I'm going for (just light blue). What cage is that? Toms?

Thanks
Will

Yes, Tom's four point kit. Pretty much welded it up with little modifications needed. Did have to do some slight bending in the back for the fit I wanted when the lid is in place. Almost screwed up and the rear hatch hinges barely fit.
I have one of those hydraulic pipe benders I used to tweak the pipes.

Also welded some metal rings on each side on the back pipes as tie points for the bikini top.
You can see one ring in this pic.

Also, regarding the three speed shift linkage, the stock rods had enough adjustment room to get the transmission shift levers adjusted correctly.

Cage5.jpg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Well this is... what about 9 years old... But I saved it.

Longer rear factory brake hose:

"Someone mentioned needing an extended rear brake hose. Here is a thread on classic about a stock application hose that is 5-6 inches longer than the one on the Bronco and with the correct fittings:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119175

I ordered one at the local O'reilly/Kragens and it took a couple days to get it."

KeithKinPhx

Did a 1" lift about a year ago. Steering column and linkages for clutch and tranny were the biggest issue for me.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Mine is three on the tree. 1" body lift. 2.5" suspension lift. I did have the Toms Bronco parts steering shaft that came with the power steering kit. Factory emergency brake cables worked fine. Think all the brake cables and metal brake lines worked fine, except I might have gone with a longer rear brake cable from diff house to chassis. Centech harness worked with no modifications. Don't remember having any issue with the fan shroud.

Cage_12.jpg

Not too hijack but I love your eb JAFO.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You using hockey pucks ?

That's the cheapest way to do a one inch lift

Find someone who plays hockey and get some pucks and drill a hole in em

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Stock suspension all new. New power steering with telescoping shaft. Have a new centech wiring harness to install. Three on tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adjustable clutch rod and lower the steering bracket on the firewall, lower rad shroud, that should be all you need.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I did a 1 inch on top of my stock bushings.. So I call mine 1 1/2 ..
All I needed was adjust the clutch . & I Was installing the NP435 so I had to build a tunnel cover. & I ADDED a new SHROUD & I'd say I adjusted it about an inch to get center around the fan blade .
All the other hoses were fine & my harness & cables were fine.
... I don't think you'll have any issue with just an inch.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think lowering the shroud a must.
If your shroud was centered before the lift, you'll have just over an inch all around the fan. Then you lift the body 1".
The first big bump in the road and it'll make contact. That doesn't sound like a big deal, but the fan can get distorted and hit the radiator.
You really need to center the fan in the shroud again after the body lift.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_150628440_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170722_150628440_HDR.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That'll buff out...%)

Definitely have to check the shroud clearance and adjust as needed. I'd say that while most of those other adjustments are maybes, the shroud is done in probably 95% of installs.

And a given is that you MUST remove it for the installation. You have to lift the body up higher than the 1.5" usually, and that just isn't going to cut it. Many a shroud has been broken, fans bent, bearings tweaked, all from forgetting to remove the shroud during installation.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I guess what I'm saying is, if the shroud gap was good, then you do a 1" body lift, plan to do a shroud drop.
It's simple physics. ?:?

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Body is still at paint. Chassis is complete. I will have to wait until I get them back together to measure and make adjustments. Thanks for all of the input. Hope to be putting it all back together is a month or so.

Will

EB70

I will just ad that I did the WH 1" kit that was integral with the body mounts. It is a sweet set up and it allows a lot of extra room to work on things and does not look funny. Clean and works good.