• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP - Passenger Side Water Leak

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Well, I stemmed all the leaks in the hardtop. That was some easy stuff since I could find, follow, and seal them easily. Well now I'm moving from the streams to the drips.

Here in FL when it rains multiple times a week, this quickly becomes a larger issue. She's generally in the garage, but now that I'm daily driving her she's seeing a lot of rain.

Well, I took pictures last night, but they turned out horrible and dark and, well, sometimes it's easier to show a quick picture that's clearer.

It appears I've got a small/slow drip leak. The water is showing up in the cab on the door side of the air vent coming down the kick panel and into the carpet. I looked up through the cab and can't find an obvious hole. Shined a light up and looked outside in the fender well and engine bay and couldn't see anything either.

My current theory is the water is coming down the windshield frame, hitting the cowl and into that seam. (see picture) The top, raised portion of the upper cowl (as there is rust and dirt inside of the "hole" near the edge) looks to be hiding the culprit.

My biggest issue is how to repair/patch this without letting it spiral out of control. I'm fighting to not remove the fender/grille and then the air box just to fill a pin hole.

Anyone have a plan/thought on how to attack it? I don't want to do a half-a$$ job, but I can't take it out of functionality as I now have to DD it.

My current plan is to open the hood and lay it against the windshield for ease of access. Clean it out and see if I can find the pin hole. But how to patch it? (gasp) a dime of silicone? Cut out the edge of the cowl and reinforce it and 'glass it back (2" square)? Go all ButtStank and shoot an entire tube of silicone/can of plumbers putty in there to stop it?

I'll go ahead and use some seam sealer on the interior, but I don't want to create a well somewhere too when the water just gets backed up.

Maybe someone here will have a better/more effective/easier/quicker solution and that'd be great!

Attachments

• Easier to show.jpg
    Easier to show.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 52