• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

deleting heater box, vent etc

suckerpunched

I actually can not identify it. It was original to the MK VII and was working, so I left well enough alone for once. Would have been nice to lose the external regulator I guess, but It seams to be adequate, So I never really had a need to learn about the different choices. Here are a few pictures, maybe you can tell me about it.

Attachments

• 20180922_123702.jpg
    20180922_123702.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180922_123809.jpg
    20180922_123809.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20180922_123914.jpg
    20180922_123914.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 37

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! Yeah, no reason to replace it, unless you desire more power, or finally decide to ditch the external regulator. I might be tempted to do that if it ever goes bad, the the alternator itself is one of the best of the early models.
They ranged from 70a to 105a from the factory, but since it's a Lincoln, it's probably the higher rated one.

One thing I would do though, is maybe verify the output by looking for a stamping or part number on the side of the case.
In lieu of that though, just make sure you wired it directly to the battery just like you would with a 3G or similar alternator. Because it's at least, if not over 70a output, you don't want to over-tax the original alternator/ammeter wire.

Do you remember how you wired yours? Did you add your own wires, or simply attach the old Black w/yellow stripe charge wire to the BAT terminal on the side of the alternator?

Paul

suckerpunched

Pretty much all the engine wiring came from the Lincoln harness I reworked. The main charge wire is black with orange stripe. it is big, #8 or #6 wire that runs from the alternator to the battery after making a stop at a power distribution box.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I eliminated that area on my 72 build to make room for the computer & Vintage air box.
I found one pic, will look for more or will take a few more

This is what I'm planning (long way before this happens) to do. More room to shove the A/C in there, plus I'll have speakers in my dash and a fuse / relay box under there too. And, I just love the look of the flat cowl.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The main charge wire is black with orange stripe. it is big, #8 or #6 wire that runs from the alternator to the battery after making a stop at a power distribution box.

Excellent! Super nice charge wire, and plenty heavy duty for sure.
It could be 8ga (more than enough for a couple of feet) but it's more likely the larger 6ga from all I've seen.

Sounds like you're set. Good reliable unit and plenty of juice at idle.

Paul