• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco MPFI SEFI 5.0 351W MASS swap conversion Holley HP Part 1

partsloco

I'm in the process of getting everything together for a MASS EFI conversion for a 351W. I'm not new to fuel injection and currectly have a Holley Terminator. In the past I have run Holley Pro-jection, and megasquirt. I guess I want some advise. I can convert my holley to MPFI by just getting harness. The downside with the holley harness is that the IAC and TPS would have to be rewired to match holley which is normally wired for GM stuff. I want something that is reliable and something that is more set and forget then the holley. My truck hauls ass with the holley terminator. The holley never seems a 100% day to day. One day its great and the next day I feel like I dropped 50 horsepower. The stuff I gathered in the video below is from a lincoln. It had tiny 50mm throttle body and 14# injectors. regardless of which route I go I know I will need bigger then 14# injectors. My goal was to run the stock EEC IV ECU with 24#-30# injectors and maf. Get the ECU programmed and smog crap removed from the ECU programming. Update the maps for a 351W. Im looking for advice. Would you stay with the Holley setup or go factory ford mass. I'm hoping the EFIGUY on here with chime in. I hoping to hire him to program the for factory ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6G3j4ckgc

So far I have gathered.

Edelbrock RPM II 5.8 intake
Professional Products 65mm throttle body
Aluminum fuel rails
Complete ECU and wiring harness from 1990 Lincoln Town Car with MASS

My Engine

351W F4TE Roller block bored .030
Edelbrock E-street heads 170CC 1.90 intake with scorpion roller rockers
Stock F4TE roller truck/explorer EFI cam
MSD 6A and MSD TFI distributor

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
First thing I would do is see if there is support for that ECU out of the town car. I'm guessing not as that year was mass air in Cali only and I don't think they were H.O. motors.

If it's not supported then you can't get it tuned for the new items you plan to add.

IMO the best option is going the Explorer route (harness and ECU)

Tim

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

I thought the exporer 5.0 setup was OBDII and EDIS. I have a TFI distributor.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

The ECU is a J0T2, I think internally the MASS EEC-IV computers are all the same. I think whats different are the base timing and fuel maps.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I can't help much with the Holley stuff, but I can make Ford EFI run just about anything well.

Tim is right, there probably isn't much support for that PCM in the tuning world. But, it's hardware might be close enough to something that is well supported that it can be tuned. Post up a picture of the sticker on the PCM, I need to see all of the numbers. If you can, crack it open and take a picture of the board, bonus points for pictures of the processor and the X-tal.

Yes, the Explorer system is OBD2 and EDIS. It won't work with your current harness, but Explorer stuff is a dime a dozen in the junkyards these days. the balancer and cam sensor adapter add to the cost of running it on a 351, but I still think it's the best EFI system for SBF's.

EDIT: I'm showing the JOT2 PCM as being from a 96 Ranger with a 3.0. Does it have 104 pins on the connector or 60?

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Here is some part numbers. Its says the ECU came from 91-93 T-bird

A9M 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto (see note 1)
A9P 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto (see note 1)
C3W 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto (see note 1)
C3W1 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto (see note 1)
A9T 5.0 89-93 Mustang MAF / Auto (see note 1)

J0T2 5.0 91-93 T-Bird MAF / Auto
L1C 5.0 91-93 T-Bird MAF / Auto
P3M 5.0 91-93 T-Bird MAF / Auto
X2P 5.0 91-93 T-Bird MAF / Auto

Check out below. I've had EDIS on my 351W about 8 years ago with megasquirt. I wrote this article

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/customer/ford-edis/

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Wow, when I opened this thing I had an 80's flashback. 60 pin connector. I pulled this from a 1990 Lincoln town car MAS 5.0 AOD

20170922_232754.jpg

20170922_232334.jpg

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The hardware code is only 1 digit different than a Foxbody, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't make it run a Mustang tune. As an added bonus, that one has dual speed fan control built in. I can't read the x-tal closest to the processor, does it say 15.00 on it?

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Dual speed fan controller? What pins control fan output. Negative relay trigger?

20170923_001314.jpg

20170923_001301.jpg

20170923_001253.jpg

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
55 controls low speed, 41 controls high. However, the PCM supplies ground on 55 to turn the fan off, it removes ground to enable low speed. So, you'll need to get creative with relays to make it work. By the way, it looks like the capacitor closest to the processor may be leaking.

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Do you think I would be better off finding a A9P computer then trying to play with this one? Do you have any cardone or master pro part numbers will give me an easy to program unit? I'm reading up on this stuff. will 19lb injectors be enough for a 351W like mine? My goal is throttle response/ low to mid range performance.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I would run that over an A9L/A9P as long as you're going to tune it, especially if you are interested in dual speed fan control. You do need to confirm that a Mustang tune will run on it before throwing money at it. If you want to send it my way I'd be happy to test and confirm that.

You should run 24# injectors minimum, 30# would be more ideal if it's going to play in the higher RPM range. You want OE Ford or Ford racing injectors only, no Holley, Accel, etc..

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

Cool, thanks for the info. I work in IT and also write software. I work with allot of networking and computer equipment that can be flashed for different operations. One piece of hardware can fulfill mutiple roles depending what firmware that is on it. I guess what I'm getting at is the EEC-IV's that I've seen so far look pretty similar and seel to run anything from a 8-4 cyclinder engine. The boards look almost identicle. I guess I'm wondering if I can make this ECU a A9P by flashing the firmware. I'm still learning about the EEC-IV. Does the firmware come preloaded from the factory and in rom (read only memory) and the learn (spark, fuel) tables stored in some kind of flash?

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

actually looks like I have two leaky caps. Maybe thats put it in the junk yard. One of the caps looks like it controls the maf

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Cool, thanks for the info. I work in IT and also write software. I work with allot of networking and computer equipment that can be flashed for different operations. One piece of hardware can fulfill mutiple roles depending what firmware that is on it. I guess what I'm getting at is the EEC-IV's that I've seen so far look pretty similar and seel to run anything from a 8-4 cyclinder engine. The boards look almost identicle. I guess I'm wondering if I can make this ECU a A9P by flashing the firmware. I'm still learning about the EEC-IV. Does the firmware come preloaded from the factory and in rom (read only memory) and the learn (spark, fuel) tables stored in some kind of flash?

Correct. The hardware looks similar enough to run a Fox Mustang tune. But just because it's EEC-IV and mass air doesn't mean it will work, most other EEC-IV computers are very different. In your case the only thing that concerns me is the processor doesn't say Intel 8061 like a Mustang PCM would. It's likely an equivalent, but you don't know until you try.

The only real difference between A9L, A9P and the dozen other Foxbody computers is the program in ROM. There are slight differences in hardware, like yours having the 2 speed chip installed and most Mustangs don't. What I tell people that I'm remote tuning with to look for when shopping for a PCM is the oddball PCM codes. They typically sell for much less than the coveted A9L or A9P. Since we're writing our own program, the A9L vs. A9P no longer matters. However, the ROM is read only and can't be flashed like the later EEC-V's, instead we use an aftermarket chip or emulator on the service port and Hi-Jack the communication between the processor, Rom, and RAM.

actually looks like I have two leaky caps. Maybe thats put it in the junk yard. One of the caps looks like it controls the maf

That's very common and an easy fix, I repair about 7-8 a month. The caps are just past their life expectancy.

[youtube]-O7FUoQzTB4[/youtube]

OP
OP
partsloco

partsloco

OK, this is starting to make sense now. The firmware is burned into rom and cannot be changed. So regardless of what EEC-IV ECU I'm using I will need and external chip or module to run any custom tuning? No custom programming can flashed or stored on the ford unit itself?

If this is the case should I buy something like quarter horse and have you program it remotely or should I ship it to you?

I really appreciate your help. I've been scrounging around junk yards for two days, fun stuff!!!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The Quarterhorse is a device that lets you tune the PCM in real time and log data while driving. It's the absolute best way to develop a custom tune for your car. However, it's not meant for permanent installation although many people do use it that way. It has a coin cell battery that keeps the tune stored in memory, once that battery dies, your tune goes with it.

So usually, I sell you a Quarterhorse and the software to tune with. I help you develop the tune by using remote desktop software on your laptop while we talk on the phone. Then for fine tuning, you go out and drive it while datalogging and e-mail me the datalog. I make any changes and e-mail you a new tune. We repeat that process until we're both happy with the tune. Then I buy the Quarterhorse and software back, you send the Quarterhorse back to me and I put your tune on to a more permanent chip and send it to you with a check. Pm for pricing.

There is a lot of data that goes into injector settings, so you don't just want any old injector. You want something where that data is known, from Ford racing, or an OE injector with known specs. Like Ford racing #'s m-9593-bb302 or m-9593-b302. I do have data for SVO 30's with F1SE-E5A or 0280150945 stamped on them.