• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

77Bronco636

Jeff
Thanks for spending the time to share all of these great pics with us and to everyone's posts of the history of them. It's all just great stuff and a very enjoyable thread......
Paul

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Paul,

I'm really glad you are enjoying it. I can't tell you how much I enjoying sharing it with everyone.

I'm planning on putting a few more pics up tomorrow. I won't be available to do anything with more slide conversions until next Friday or Saturday. I hope folks don't lose interest with a lag in new pics.

Have a great weekend.

Jeff

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The last photo has what appears to be the Stroppe catalog chassis sitting off to the right.

Todd Z.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Very Cool Thanks for sharing. I love the pics and the history Can someone recommend a book on Vintage Bronco racing ?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Can someone recommend a book on Vintage Bronco racing ?

Unfortunately it hasn't been written yet. "Boss - The Bill Stroppe Story" has a chapter or two on their racing efforts in the 60s/70s in it, but that's about it.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow. I can't get over how new those Gates tires look after all these years.;);D
Oh wait, they were new! Almost looks like a truck load of Armstrong Tru-Tracs in the back of pic #2 too. Maybe something close though. Not sure.

Hey, I wonder if you have the film that guy in pic #4 was taking buried in your stuff?

Paul

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Paul,

Hey, I wonder if you have the film that guy in pic #4 was taking buried in your stuff?

Paul

I don't think that I have that film; but, I do have about a 5-1/2 reel of 8mm film that looks to be somewhat professionally made. (I'm only drawing that conclusion based on the leader and title on the first several frames.)

I spoke with a neighbor this morning who has an 8 mm projector that works. He is going to let me borrow it. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to look at it this weekend. If not this weekend, it will be next weekend.

I was going to take a gamble and just have it digitized without knowing what's on it. Bajabrewer had recommended a site that does that kind of thing. By the time everything was factored into the price it was around $150. I thought for that much I should make sure what's on it. (That's $150 I could spend at WH instead!)

Once I view it, I'll let everyone know whether it's worth getting excited about.

Have a great weekend.

Jeff

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi Paul,

I was going to take a gamble and just have it digitized without knowing what's on it. Bajabrewer had recommended a site that does that kind of thing. By the time everything was factored into the price it was around $150. I thought for that much I should make sure what's on it. (That's $150 I could spend at WH instead!)

Jeff

Once you have the projector set up you can always digitize the video with a smart phone camera as the projector plays it. Then it would be free.

Funny thing, while we had video capture software at work it was always easier and faster to share videos by filming the monitor with our phones...

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Wow. I can't get over how new those Gates tires look after all these years.;);D
Oh wait, they were new! Almost looks like a truck load of Armstrong Tru-Tracs in the back of pic #2 too. Maybe something close though. Not sure.

Paul

LOL, I was wondering if those were Tru Tracs as well. They have the distinct 'Z' pattern but look a little different with not as many treads.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe they were either another style of Gates Commandos (not the XT), or maybe they were that other Armstrong tire I can't think of right now. Still had a "Trac" in the name, and a buddy had them on his '71 when he bought it. Still from Armstrong, but visually just slightly different.
I knew they weren't Tru-Tracs from 30 feet away when he first drove it home, but you could sure see the family resemblance.

Paul

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unfortunately it hasn't been written yet. "Boss - The Bill Stroppe Story" has a chapter or two on their racing efforts in the 60s/70s in it, but that's about it.

Todd Z.

Maybe TZ, Jeff and Andrew can get this done now with some legit pics??? :D

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL, I was wondering if those were Tru Tracs as well. They have the distinct 'Z' pattern but look a little different with not as many treads.

Believe those are the Goodyear Pikes Peak specials.....will take another look

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks chief......

Hey Everyone,

I scanned the next four slides from the 71 Mint race. There's another slide of an engine/tranny (probably before or after a dyno run). Not sure if it's Parnelli's motor or not. (Sorry for the poor quality of the engine pic.)

Take Care,

Jeff

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah. I'd think so. Sunday surfing time. Re read in order

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Andrew,

Maybe TZ, Jeff and Andrew can get this done now with some legit pics??? :D

I don't have as much to offer as you and Todd; but, i'd be happy to work with you both to document the past. House has a lot of good information, too.

My only concern is that the extent of my pics is pretty much limited to select races and build work in '69, '71, and '73.

Sorry I haven't been able to post more pics recently. Work is a little out of control. I should be able to do more next weekend.

I read that the rains are giving you guys out there a break this weekend. Hope the shop dries out.

Take Care,

Jeff

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Jeff, YEah, that House guys is al-right. ;)

Well, I do have alot of other pics to fill in any gaps. Not sure if it's a secret or not, but I've been collecting photos like these when I can find them for the past 25 years. So any years missing, shouldn't be a problem.

Shop floor dry now - proceeding with work and much appreciate this break in the weather...it's been nuts.

Again, love the pics and love the discussion, all you guys! Neat to see MANY folks appreciating the history and cool photos. I remember threads that used to tease/ put down the Stroppe Bronco love that we had 10+ years ago.