• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

306 vs 347 Help

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That brings up a good point.
Some crate engine builders will only honor their warranty if the install/startup is done by a bona fide auto repair shop.
Read the fine print for yours.

Attac

Contributor
I just did this about a year and a half ago. I went with the 331 stroker as efi units were expensive (I now am going to a fitec)
When I did mine I talked to the guy at blueprint and told him I was putting this in a bronco not a car so when they built it they put a different cam in it, more like a rv cam, and got my horsepower and torque closer to where I would use it.
I have been very happy with them. I bought motor about 6 months before I installed it so I could mock up everything and they told me to call them when I installed it and my warranty would start on that day. I did... They also broke motor in but told me that since it had sat for so long to make sure I primed it again to ensure oil was still everywhere it was supposed to be. Good experience
Chuck

crutch

The guys at Maxlider have been collaborating with Blueprint on a 306 motor designed for low end torque in our broncos. If your leaning towards the 306 may want to ask them about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
I just did this about a year and a half ago. I went with the 331 stroker as efi units were expensive (I now am going to a fitec)
When I did mine I talked to the guy at blueprint and told him I was putting this in a bronco not a car so when they built it they put a different cam in it, more like a rv cam, and got my horsepower and torque closer to where I would use it.
I have been very happy with them. I bought motor about 6 months before I installed it so I could mock up everything and they told me to call them when I installed it and my warranty would start on that day. I did... They also broke motor in but told me that since it had sat for so long to make sure I primed it again to ensure oil was still everywhere it was supposed to be. Good experience
Chuck

Based on the above quote and other comments in this thread, I was under the impression that Blueprint would change cams if requested. I talked to Blueprint today and they said they will NOT substitute a cam for any of their Ford engine builds. They said they never have done that for anyone. They said that if I want to change the cam, I can do it once I receive the engine from them and it will NOT void the warranty. They also said they couldn't give me any dyno's for their engines from 1,000-3,000rpm. I'm not a mechanic and look forward to hear what ya'll have to say.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
that's amazing that it wouldn't void the warranty, if it's just a short block maybe I could see it. if a long block and I built it, I would void the warranty;D wonder why they wouldn't give the dyno for that range?

OP
OP
rockingm82

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
Lowcountry,

Thanks for checking. I was pretty sure I understood the Blueprint rep. regarding the cam and warranty, but then I second guessed myself as some were pretty adamant that this couldn't be the case. It always helps to have someone else confirm the info.

I ordered the 347 last week. This engine comes standard with Fast EZ EFI, but I requested a FI Tech system. Because of this, they have to build the engine and it will take at least 30 days to have it built and tested on a dyno. The price for the FI Tech 347 is the same as the 347 listed online. Shipping to me in STL is free.

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Rockingm82...what's the difference with the two EFI's? And since they are building your engine, are you claiming BluePrint is changing your cam? Also, the price difference between the 347 and the 408 is about $500. I don't understand why someone would just go for the 408. What are the reasons you went 347 instead of 408?

OP
OP
rockingm82

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
I believe the FI Tech is a simpler system to install and tweak and I want the simplest system for everyday street use. Blueprint is NOT changing the cam nor will I. I'm not going 408 because all my accessories and parts come from a 302. I've been brainstorming this build for over ten years and slowly acquiring what I need. I started with the idea of going with a 302 and that's the route I'm comfortable with. I don't intend to change direction mid stream. If I just bought the Bronco today and was starting from scratch I would probably go 351.

I also have a mostly original uncut 68 Bronco which will be getting a rebuilt 289 as a period correct motor. I'm hoping that by keeping both Broncos with basically a 302 type motor, I'll make life easier on myself.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I went with a 347 through a custom builder in So CA and I love that peppy little thing! I got an untouched '92 5.0 roller for free, so that definitely helped my decision, but I'm extremely happy in the end. I'm running .456, D20, C4, 35's. Top speed for the insane is estimated over 120. We got it to 110 on the dyno and it was still going. H.P. 423.45 (to the ground), Torque about 450

KBUCK1

I went with a 347 through a custom builder in So CA and I love that peppy little thing! I got an untouched '92 5.0 roller for free, so that definitely helped my decision, but I'm extremely happy in the end. I'm running .456, D20, C4, 35's. Top speed for the insane is estimated over 120. We got it to 110 on the dyno and it was still going. H.P. 423.45 (to the ground), Torque about 450
That's pretty stout if its making 423 hp to the ground.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Agreed what heads and cam in that thing and how does it feel below 2000 rpm?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For sure! It's a little monster. Here's the vid of the 3rd pass we ran and a pic of the dyno run screen. It did better than expected, that's why the one guy does the 'cut-it' wave because it didn't need another pass.

Below 2000 it's fine with my gearing for what I do, which is mostly open desert running. It's not a torque beast like a 408, but when I'm get on it, it will put you back in your seat and easily grab 2nd with 35's.

The heads are AFR, cam is Isky hydraulic roller with custom grind.

[youtube]_2dRdwTioyU[/youtube]

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 103

KBUCK1

For sure! It's a little monster. Here's the vid of the 3rd pass we ran and a pic of the dyno run screen. It did better than expected, that's why the one guy does the 'cut-it' wave because it didn't need another pass.

Below 2000 it's fine with my gearing for what I do, which is mostly open desert running. It's not a torque beast like a 408, but when I'm get on it, it will put you back in your seat and easily grab 2nd with 35's.

The heads are AFR, cam is Isky hydraulic roller with custom grind.

[youtube]_2dRdwTioyU[/youtube]

Sounds nice. My 331 is making around 400 . Probably not at the ground though. Like yours it will grab 2nd with 35's, 4.56's and c4. Its fun to drive. Keep saying im going to put mine on a dyno for kicks but haven't

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Thanks! I'm running 2 into 1 exhaust with (1) stage 2 Flowmaster. Exhaust dumps out pass. side between door and rear wheel well:

Attachments

• 20160423_090923.jpg
    20160423_090923.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 70