• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone used this place?

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Just saw that summit has new coyote crate engines from Ford for just under seven grand. Don't know the particulars on ECU, wiring etc. Under 125,000 miles kind of turns me off.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
I'd be interested to hear from someone who's done the swap, what the costs end up looking like overall. My engine is bone stock right now, including CA smog crap. It's the next upgrade on my list, and it seems like I'm looking ballpark $10k to get the engine done right from a local shop (nothing extreme, but nicely upgraded to get me around 250 hp with FI as I take it to Tahoe). If you can do a Coyote swap and be around $15k including labor (I'm not doing it myself), I'd be tempted. If it's closer to $20k or north as I suspect, not sure it would be worth it. It also looks as though you can "upgrade" to an engine with less than 100k miles for an additional $500.

Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I am not going to bust anyone out for wanting a Coyote in a Bronco, it is your rig and pocketbook.
And I am sure everyone here has done some kind of up grade... But not really what they wanted, so every time they look at or drive their Bronco they relive the shoulda, woulda, coulda feelings...

So I am just going to say I have a 71 Bronco with a 2000 Explorer motor and a 4R70W, 4:11 gears and 31" tires. EFI guy did the harness. I went through the motor that had a 100K on it. fresh water pump, oil pump, timing gears, gaskets. Main bearings looked great as did the cylinder walls.

I paid $600 for the motor and $250 in parts. The (2wd) Tranny was Craigslist special at $100. I had it rebuilt, with the AA adapter installed for $1800.

For $2750 the things launches out of the hole very well, surprises people. It cruises at 2200 rpm and it gets an honest 18mpg combined.

I did all of the work myself, except the tranny.

So when I see people floating $10K to just start doing a Coyote conversion, I wonder why? But it is your rig and your money, so do what you want... But I am very satisfied with the Explorer conversion.

You are welcome to Flame me, but I am just offering my opinion.

Doug

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I am not going to bust anyone out for wanting a Coyote in a Bronco, it is your rig and pocketbook.
And I am sure everyone here has done some kind of up grade... But not really what they wanted, so every time they look at or drive their Bronco they relive the shoulda, woulda, coulda feelings...

So I am just going to say I have a 71 Bronco with a 2000 Explorer motor and a 4R70W, 4:11 gears and 31" tires. EFI guy did the harness. I went through the motor that had a 100K on it. fresh water pump, oil pump, timing gears, gaskets. Main bearings looked great as did the cylinder walls.

I paid $600 for the motor and $250 in parts. The (2wd) Tranny was Craigslist special at $100. I had it rebuilt, with the AA adapter installed for $1800.

For $2750 the things launches out of the hole very well, surprises people. It cruises at 2200 rpm and it gets an honest 18mpg combined.

So when I see people floating $10K to just start doing a Coyote conversion, I wonder why? But it is your rig and your money, so do what you want... But I am very satisfied with the Explorer conversion.

Doug

I'll back that up. I just don't see spending that much extra money on something I don't drive every day. I'm more into pushrod engines in Broncos anyway.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Doug

Doug, my thoughts are similar. to each his own, but the explorer swap is a pretty good bang for your buck. I also saw the coyote in a summit sale paper i got in the mail.