• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Glass Install Help

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I am putting all new felt, seals and so forth in the doors. The thing has been disassembled for paint for quite some time and now that we are putting it back together, I can't for the life of me figure out how. If I put the vent window in first the door glass won't go in. If I put the door glass in, the vent window won't go in. I have removeable frames, but was hoping to avoid removing them with the fresh paint. Is there a trick or is scratched paint in my future? Please help and Merry Christmas!

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I went in this order window, vent window, window channels, window felts, bottom bumper.

Toddml

That is how I remember it. You have to set the window down in the bottom of the door with the channels loose. Then you mount the vent window, then bolt in and adjust the channels.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Thanks everyone. That's why I love this site and all my Bronco friends. Windows are in...Merry Christmas!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Gray035

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
I took the lower bumper off on the bottom of the door so the window would sit further down. That helped create enough room for everything to fit. Then I installed the felts. Then the wing window.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Did anyone use weatherstripping sealant when installing the upper felt in the window frames? A neighbor recommended it, but I wanted to see what other Bronco owners have done.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
No, the weather stripping tok a mallet to install - it's tight enough!

Gray035

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
My upper track was not tight either. I put a few strips of electrical tape on it to take up the space and then it was snug enough to stay in the track without glue.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I called the vendor I got it from and they advised no adhesive. I did have to trim about 1/4" off the upper portion. Now I'm trying to install the sweepers on the door ledge. Did anyone have to trim these? They appear to be too long. Also, did you slide the glass all the way down to get them in? Hardest part so far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Casey835

I have trouble with the L shaped felt staying up. How did you keep yours up? Other than that install on the rest was easy. I did install eveerything on a table in the frame, then into the door with fresh paint. I will offer this. When you get ready to set everthing dont tighten it down. Roll the window up and down couple of times then leave half up or down then tighten everything. Thr one bolt needs to be thru door into vent window area faily snug. This is how i got all my brand new junk to align so i could roll up and down. I used all new stuff so i will see how it holds up. Only my door shell and frame are old.

The sweepers go in one way on each door, the long piece without felt does not need to be trimmed. If i remember right it goes between door and vent window piece