• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

As close to "Barn Find" I've come...

75Denver

Just after finally working out a deal on the Patina Cordova (http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278068) I stumbled upon this yesterday morning. I figured driving into a valley I'd never hunted before, would be a worthwhile start to a day off without kids and some extra cash in my pocket. Well, it was!

Fast forward to the end of my hunt, I discovered several Scouts, Land Cruisers, Camaros and Trans Ams (HONEY POT)...but no Broncos. Exhausted, I turned around. On my last street, there it was! Behind camper trailers and an ivy fence, I found what looked to be a Wimbledon White Bronco. I pulled around and luckily saw the owner. His wife came out at I walked up to the gate and I was greeted with the following:

Me: "Good morning. I was wondering if I could have a minute of your time"
Wife: "No!"
Me: "I was hoping we could chat Broncos, I'm a huge fan of them.."
Wife: "Not unless you plan on buying it"
Me: .....oh sh*t

From there we talked for over 4 hours about all the places it had gone, the family adventures, his service in Vietnam, and his love affair with his wife that started from the time they were both born. I had the BEST day getting to know the two of them, their history together as a couple, and the adventures behind the wheel. What started as a relaxing morning drive yielded a great find! I'm extremely proud to say we have a new family member.

Obviously it wasn't the Wimbledon I thought but rather Seafoam Green! 1971 302, D44, original owner, original paint, untouched original Reno truck with 108k miles. It has some surface rust and a pretty good chunk of the inner fender rotting out (he used it!!) but all in all, it's VERY clean for as much use as it had. Oh yeah, it hasn't been registered since '95 but with a battery charge and gas, we had it running and driving;D. More pics to come. Enjoy!!

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two in one month......that just ain't right!! JK, congrats on both and for making the rest of us jealous!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Looks like it has the chrome drip rail trim too?could be my ph playing tricks. Great find for sure.

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Here's some extra pics from the first siting to how it's sat for past couple years. The PO was an ex-airforce mechanic that didn't keep much paperwork since he did all the work himself. However, in the process of the sale and to his surprise, we uncovered a bunch of dealership papers. Good stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_1470.jpg
    IMG_1470.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_1475 (1).jpg
    IMG_1475 (1).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 386
OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Two in one month......that just ain't right!! JK, congrats on both and for making the rest of us jealous!

Yep, its there! Last year it was available too! :cool:

Very cool find, I love it!

Thanks guys! The plan wasn't to buy two. In fact, it's been real hard to find them but these both fell in my lap on the right place/right time. The problem is, I planned the build on the '69 and REALLY like that one just as much as the '71!! Unfortunately I think the '69 is the one thats got to go:cry:. Wish I could keep them both but that's not in the cards right now. Plus the '71 is turn-key.

capt. bronco

Awesome find!! Congratulations!! Love the color. I find it interesting so many people in the seventies added extra gas tanks! Not only in the broncos but the fullsize pick up trucks also!

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats, great find!

Is that something added (in rear picture) that rode upright behind spare tire? Or just my eyes??:?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! The plan wasn't to buy two. In fact, it's been real hard to find them but these both fell in my lap on the right place/right time. The problem is, I planned the build on the '69 and REALLY like that one just as much as the '71!! Unfortunately I think the '69 is the one thats got to go:cry:. Wish I could keep them both but that's not in the cards right now. Plus the '71 is turn-key.

Maybe the Stroppe needs to go now?😀

Congrats on your finds!

Todd Z.

chuckyb

Contributor
Wowie - nice find you never know what can happen unless you ask!!

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

Awesome find!! Congratulations!! Love the color. I find it interesting so many people in the seventies added extra gas tanks! Not only in the broncos but the fullsize pick up trucks also!

Thank you!! Me too. Given his mechanical expertise (I've seen some shoty work) I'm happy with the third tank. 30gal will get me further out.

Congrats, great find!

Is that something added (in rear picture) that rode upright behind spare tire? Or just my eyes??:?

I think you're seeing something, unless you're talking the rear seat which has the back rest falling off?

Maybe the Stroppe needs to go now?😀

Congrats on your finds!

Todd Z.

It would have to be a REALLY REALLY strong offer to part with that one. Ultimate goals still involves building that one right the first time. All this up to until then is just practice;).

Score! Great story too. You take a trailer with you when you are on the hunt?

I thought you'd dig this one! Uncut original just like we like it. I don't. I need to buy one! I use tow trucks but that limits me to short distances.