• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 steering box play, power steering

la hi

I have replaced most of the steering stuff and added a 2.5 inch lift. The shaft that goes into the steering box has too much play. You can turn the shaft by hand easy, it moves the steering wheel and it stops in the box. The box doesn't move. and the result is over correction steering by the driver.

If the shaft fit tight into the box the problem would be solved.

Is there a way to tighten the shaft going into the box?

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
I don't know the answer but I'm actually having the same problem right now so I'm interested to see what others say, my guess is that the steering box may need a rebuild unless thats new. Which components of the steering have you already replaced?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Start posting some photos of your stuff.

The box and steering shaft as well as a straight on shot of your steering linkage,

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

I tried to tighten the steering box and it is tight. The shaft going into the box also moves the spline connection in the box. The adjustment screw on top has no threads showing, therefore I feel it can not be adjusted further with any effectiveness. Here are pictures of the box and the front suspension.

What solutions do you recomend?

Attachments

• bronco front suspension left.jpg
    bronco front suspension left.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 41
  • bronco front suspension right.jpg
    bronco front suspension right.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 46
  • bronco steering box.jpg
    bronco steering box.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 41

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a start. But if it's the shaft that's loose, then we need some pics of the shaft.

Is it an original style still using the "tulip" joint? Would look like this: Steering Coupler

If it's that type, there is almost always a fair amount of slop in them. They can be refurbished, but will always be slightly looser than a modern "u-joint" style yoke like this: FR Steering Yoke

The latter type, when used with a good shaft, is basically going to eliminate all slop between the steering column and the gearbox.

When you say you tightened the steering box, do you mean the mounting bolts to the frame? Or were you talking about the preload adjuster on the top? If the top, be very careful.

Another little detail it would be nice (but not absolutely necessary) to know would be if this is a 6-turn box, or a 4-turn box. Since in '66 there was no power steering option on Broncos, yours is obviously a swapped-in box from a '73 or later Bronco. Or something else.

It does at least looks close to an EB box, but maybe the others can confirm that.

Paul

OP
OP
la hi

la hi

Thanks all,
Has anyone tried the Cardone steering box?
What box did you replace yours with?